Congress Threatens Live Music and Dancing

pygmypiranha

Vice Admiral
Hey guys...

I just found this website that tells about a law (House Resolution 718) that wants to indirectly ban the rave scene.

If this law is inacted, you can expect that the dying rave culture will take its final blow and be crushed by this bill. You can also expect that there will be fewer Concerts, Clubs will be shut down, and so will many other great places where music can be heard live due to the nature of H.R. 718.

Please, GO TO THIS SITE and LEARN about H.R. 718. You can get an EXACT copy of the bill, along with other information about this nasty resolution. You can also contact senators and tell them NOT TO PASS THIS BILL!! I swear, I'm gonna chuck a glowstick in Washington's direction if this bill gets passed. We wont get to see too many DJs spin live anymore. I'll never be able to spin at a rave. I'll never be able to climb ontop of another dance cage, start doing liquid, and get people to cheer me on. Liquid dancing will become a dying art.

The Rave scene is already dying, and this bill will kill the culture that so many people love. So, Please please pleeeeeeeeeease Email your senators. Spread the word. We CAN do something about this and keep the dying rave culture on its feet!

To sign up for the Drug Policy Alliance Action Network go to
http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org

Congress Threatens Live Music and Dancing!!
Congress is considering two pieces of legislation that could effectively ban live music and dancing, while throwing innocent people like you in jail. If enacted, either bill could prevent you from hearing your favorite band or DJ live. Every musical style would be affected, including rock and roll, Hip Hop, country, and electronic music. Both bills would allow overzealous prosecutors to send innocent people to jail for the crimes of others. Your help is needed to stop these bills from becoming law!!!

mmm... I guess some guy at the congress saw that old 1984 Footloose movie. Ban dancing, that's pretty lame. Hey, maybe Kevin Bacon could rock the congress :p

Oh no! A law which makes it illegal to *SELL ILLEGAL DRUGS*! This is the worst thing since... ehh, maintaining this high level of sarcasm is really, really hard.

Raves began their dying in the mid-90s when the culture collapsed on it's self from the over-abundence of drugs and completely fucking stupid people crashing it.

I did the scene on and off from 97-01. Whatever it once was is dead because of pop culture, the stupidity of mass media's demonizing and record labels. You're best off going to the UK and hitting a MountainTop Rave. The scene there is less commercial and the people there less characteristicly "Raver Annoying".

The rave is dead. Move on with your life.

Man, I expected this to be a thread about old people on capitol hill warning that they were about to throw parties and dance all night. That'd have been much worse than a bill to shut down raves or whatever.

More Important Matters

If anyone would care to write congress about a general issue that is truely significant, you might consider these two links (and feel free to peruse the rest of the site.... ):

http://www.legion.org/pub_relations/2003_releases/pr_nr_031703_budgetcuts.htm

http://www.legion.org/pub_relations/2003_releases/pr_nr_032703_retirees.htm

But there is some good news (for a change) :

http://www.legion.org/pub_relations/2003_releases/pr_nr_032503_budget.htm

And BTW, yes I am a *disabled* *retiree*, I was in the service for 22 years (Signals Intel) ; all but 8 of those 22 years was spent overseas.

(edit)
What angers me immensely (referring to that first link) is that the cuts referred to in the article should *never have been proposed in the first place*, and they were proposed mainly to " ... grease the wheels for the tax cut ...".

Regarding the disability issue (an EXTREMELY unfair situation, military veterans are the ONLY federal employees that are treated this way, the issue is still unresolved and will probably REMAIN unresolved); Bush (and the replublican party) continues to aggressively fight any attempt to reverse the situation; has threatened to veto any legislation that even remotely has any bearing on this.

====
And while I am on the soapbox; I caught Dennis Miller's speech on the Tonight Show last evening supporting the countries veterans (among other things). Very refreshing for a change - Jay Leno wasn't far off the mark when he jokingly said something to the effect that Dennis Miller " ... does not properly qualify as a celebrity ... ".

Sadly, lack of consideration for the welfare of individual soldiers and ex-soldiers is one of the results of having a Commander-in-Chief who has himself never experienced military service. On the other hand, nobody would want to mandate that presidential candidates be veterans save for those who would want the military to control the government.

Back