Confed and Militia turned Hostile in Privateer without Provocation

Master Katarn

Rear Admiral
I am on the Lynn Murphy series of missions in Privateer 1. Before Murphy 1, Confed and Militia were friendly to my ship. After Murphy 1, they were Neutral. After Murphy 2, they were hostile! I have destroyed absolutely no confed or militia ships up to this point. What has happened?

The Murphy 1 and 2 missions were extremely difficult, and due to a slightly older computer (1.2 ghz, running in dosbox), it is difficult to target on the enemy ships in the Murphy missions due to slight slowdown. I beat Murphy 1 and 2 solely by colliding into the enemy ships instead of firing upon them (I have a level 4 shield generator that allows my orion class ship to survive this). Despite the fact that the ships I collided with to destroy were all "bad" hunter ships, could this have somehow affected my alignment with the confed and the militia? I can't seem to beat Murphy 1 or 2 properly yet with tachyon cannons and missiles, and collision is very convenient.

Any ideas?

I believe collisions still count as kills - and killing Bounty Hunters turns Confed against you. Take a break and nail a bunch of cats after this series to get everything even again...

That's bad news about Confeds...
It they're seeing killing murderers (and I won't call those mercenaries another word) as a crime...
Poor confed, I'd say.
One more outlaw in Gemini since today ;)
And theirs Stilettos and Broasdwords are no match for fully equipped Orion and even Galaxy.

Well, go outside and shoot a bunch of people. When the police come for you, insist that it was okay because the people you killed were *probably* murderers. Let us know whether or not you end up in jail.

But those mercenaries were murderers for sure! That's why Lynn asks you to defend the mining base.
Those mercenaries kill everyone who'll happen to be there. Isn't this murdering?

Those mercenaries have been paid to blockade the planet by exactly the same process as you have been paid to prevent them from doing so. One could argue, moreover, that the player character is actually the aggressor here -- historically speaking, announced naval blockades are a legitimate action.

The point, though, is that the Privateer isn't the law... even if thy *were* murderers, it would be up to the militia to dispense justice, not a civilian.

Yep :)
The militia should deal with them. But it doesn't.
So... if I am going a street, and a bandit with a gun attacks me, and there's no militia around to protect me, and I do manage (of course, I'd never succeed in reality... ) to kill the bandit with a spade I had with me...

Am I to be called a criminal?

You can't join the Kilrathi, but you can make them friendly to you, with a lot of Confed/militia kills (and maybe peaceful civilians, not sure on that; kills of pirates and Retros definitely don't count towards improving relations with the kats). However, in the later missions, the Kilrathi are "plot hostiles", much like some militia and Confed forces during the Tayla missions (and, in RF, the Regis smuggling mission for Lynch). In the very last mission set (Goodin), you have to engage the Kilrathi, which would undo any efforts made to make them non-hostile.

Yep :)
The militia should deal with them. But it doesn't.
So... if I am going a street, and a bandit with a gun attacks me, and there's no militia around to protect me, and I do manage (of course, I'd never succeed in reality... ) to kill the bandit with a spade I had with me...

Am I to be called a criminal?

That is not an accurate analogy. The mercenaries in this case are not equivalent to street bandits. If a formal naval blockade exists, and you attempt to run it and kill one of the defenders in the process, you'd be held responsible for that.

Corporation's have no right to declare a naval blockade against a friendly planet so Confed or the militia should have intervened but they were most likely too busy dealing with the Kilrathi and pirates.

It depends on how the planet's government works - one of the Privateer Online concepts posited that Confederation member planets could be run by a whole spectrum of governments.. from absolute monarchies to corporate juntas.

But one member planet's forces shouldn't be legally able to blockade another member planet. It would be basically the same as Florida sending it's national guard to blockade Idaho.

It's less like Florida sending its national guard to blockade another planet and more like a businessman in Florida rounding up all the rough and tumble bushwhacker folks from out in the sticks, handing them guns, and sending THEM to Idaho.......in super lethal modern warship space fighters :D

It can be any type of blockade, but I'm an uninvolved civilian. I do pass the system, and mean no harm to anyone (don't look at four-mounted mass-drivers ;) ). Why do they attack me? Why the militia is not protecting the defenseless civilian in a poorly-armed Centurion?

Why does then the militia count the civilian to be a criminal if he was only protecting himself ?

I'm joking :) It has the easiest explanation - the game engine is rigid, and any attack of merc counts to be anti-confed :) No matter is the merc is violating the law or not .

You're not an uninvolved civilian, though, you're a member of the Merchant's Guild (and a licensed Privateer) trying to pass through a shipping blockade. :)

Okay, I am a Merchant Guild member. Still, I'm just passing the system, so I'm uninvolved. What if I am not concerned at all about the companies' war?

The purpose of the blockade is to prevent merchants from shipping one of the corporation's food off-planet... so they're stopping cargo ships from landing and taking off.

I remember something similar happening when I lived in France - truckers went on strike and surrounded Paris with trucks to prevent other people from shipping goods while they weren't working.

Back