College

College? Have no use for it currently. I am investing all my money in rental properties. Maybe later.

Tulsa Community College on an aerospace engineering major, though I'm considering changing that since I hate all the f'ing math. Just because I can do it doesn't mean I enjoy it, you know? My brain is fried enough from work anyway. WTF, they say you don't have to be a mathematician to be an engineer, and they make you go past calculus 5!

And on Starkey's topic...I wonder what conditions must be met to have someone grow up to be a brainiac?

Originally posted by Wulf
Tulsa Community College on an aerospace engineering major, though I'm considering changing that since I hate all the f'ing math. Just because I can do it doesn't mean I enjoy it, you know? My brain is fried enough from work anyway. WTF, they say you don't have to be a mathematician to be an engineer, and they make you go past calculus 5!

And on Starkey's topic...I wonder what conditions must be met to have someone grow up to be a brainiac?

Depends on the Engineering discipline. I was giong to go study aeronautical engineering but decided to go electrical instead. Electrical, Chemical, and mechanical engineering are all heavy in math. I can't say for AE because it's not offered here. Industrial, Civil, and computer engineerings are not heavy in math. When I say heavy in math here's what I mean. Industrial Engineering is management with a minor in engineering basically (sorry if I offended all the I-"maginary" engineers out there :) ) so no heavy math tthere. Civil engineering is all statics, nothing changes when your planning to build roads, bridges, buliding and what not, so the math is "pretty" straightforward. Computer Enginering is basically programming, so no heavy math there. Chemical engineering, well lets just say that there have been a few times that my chem-E friends have had a 6-8 hour test, that involved 2 problems. Chemical reactions, changing coeffiecients, yeah it's no wonder CE is thought to be the most difficult major out there (not to mention the time reuirements of all the labs). Mechanical engineering can be broken down into 2 sections, statics and dynamics. Statics is a pretty well set science that doesn't change much. Dynamics on the other hand is the study of objects in motion, while losing mass, acceleration, etc . . . basically alot of changing variables and alot of headaches.
Now electrical engineering, of which I am a new graduate with a BS and newly enrolled grad student, have to take math all the way to Cal 4 and differential equations (sometimes called Cal 5), and oh by teh way you use it. Actually it depends on your focus (say if you are a packaging electrical engineer, as long as you got past teh classes you would likely never have to use that high math again), but with my focus (electromagnetic wave propagation and RF and uWave structures) the math is a bitch. Lets just say that I just had my first week of Adv. Electromagnetics and I want to go back in time and shoot a man named Maxwell for coming up with the governeing equations of Emag. Yeah I'll show you what you can do with the conture integral of the divergence of the flux density ina a certain volume you sadistic SOB! :)

Bottom line (if I haven't scared you off already), if you enjoy science find an engineering discipline that you like and tough out the math, you might actually find out (like I did - oh btw I also got a math minor along with my BSEE because all I had to do was take one more stinkin math class!!) that its actually pretty entertaining, though challanging, then go find an area of focus that has everything to do with what you want and very little to do with math. :)

C-ya

I'm doing a 7 year medical program at The College of New Jersey (I'm serious) and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersery. So many girls on my floor.......:cool:

Originally posted by Penguin
Not in that year I did. Anyways you can find out more about my university here
Ah yes, Auckland University. The place for any Kiwi who can't make it into Otago. :D

Best, Raptor (Grinning, ducking and running very fast)

Back