Coincidence or Political Statement?

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
So I've started collecting Pirate flicks and after watching about 60 of them, I have to say, forget Johnny Depp or Robert Newton. Errol Flynn practically wrote the book on playing a pirate. But after watching his movies... I have to ask... after watching a couple of Pirate movies, I have to ask... Is Neville Sinclair from The Rocketeer supposed to be a political jab at Errol Flynn? I've seen too many similarities...
You see Sinclair playing a robin hood style role - Errol Flynn played Robin Hood.
Both were skilled fencers.
They look similar. (Older Flynn)
Errol Flynn was accused (Falsely) of being a Nazi sympathizer - Sinclair WAS a Nazi.
errol-flynn-7.jpg

Yes. The Wikipedia points out that that's the case and that Rocketeer was written at a time when those allegations about Flynn being a Nazi were still accepted.

So I basically came to the exact conclusion that the movie writers wanted me to? Great, well as a now-diehard Errol Flynn fan, obsurd politics hath destroyed an otherwise decent movie.

I don't think it's so much of a political statement as it is one more (then thought to be) historical pastiche in a movie that's made entirely of them.

Back