Chris Roberts: Lord of War

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
For anyone interested:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/lord_of_war/

http://www.lordofwarthemovie.com/

Chris Roberts is producer on this one. Maybe you've already seen the ads on TV. I usually like Andrew Niccol (Gattaca, Simone, Writer: Truman Show) movies (but I'd rather peter weir not direct them, although Master and commander was a pretty good film) I think it looks neat. In theaters September 16th.

Are you going to see it? What are your impressions so far? What do you think of the direction Chris Roberts has been taking his career?

I dunno. I am a little unsure of just how good that movie can be.

As for Chris, I don't think his movie career is working out for him too well.

I have absolutely no interest in this movie, but the 'I guess this isn't about the alcohol or the tobacco' line in the commercials is very memorable.

It looks somewhat interesting to me, but I didn't know Roberts was producing it. I'd kind of like to see him get back into directing.

d3r3k said:
I don't think his movie career is working out for him too well.

I liked both the Punisher and The Jacket (both of which he also acted as producer for). While neither was perfect, they were more entertaining than 90 percent of the movies that were on the shelf at the video store when I was there the other day.

AD said:
I liked both the Punisher and The Jacket (both of which he also acted as producer for). While neither was perfect, they were more entertaining than 90 percent of the movies that were on the shelf at the video store when I was there the other day.

Oh, I'm actually not very aware of what he's done since WC. I'll look him up on IMDb.

What I'd really like to know is which direction his career is really heading in - up, or down? The trouble with the title 'producer', is that it's a fairly all-encompassing title. Yes, a producer can be someone that's responsible for every aspect of the film's production... but it can also be someone who was given the title out of courtesy, or for fairly minor contributions to the production. And it seems that in the case of all these movies Chris Roberts is producing, he's one of a dozen or more producers, and usually listed somewhere at the bottom of the list. So the question is - does he contribute in any significant way to these films, and does his role get bigger with each production, or is he on a path to nowhere?

Quarto said:
The trouble with the title 'producer', is that it's a fairly all-encompassing title. Yes, a producer can be someone that's responsible for every aspect of the film's production... but it can also be someone who was given the title out of courtesy, or for fairly minor contributions to the production.

I don't know how big his role was, although the situation you refer to is generaly the "exective producer" title. Still, alot of the producers job is done in preproduction when they are deciding before hand the budget, style, actors, etc.

We do know the project he was supposed to direct (american knight) has vanished into thin air. No clue as to if its a postponment or an outright cancelation. He may have simply decided to sit back and learn the trade more before he steps back into the directors chair. Or possibly they are still trying to work out the financing and are having difficulty because of the complexity of the special effects or the similarities to his past projects (the movie sounded alot like "bi-plane commander":D )

A Review, 3 1/2 stars out of 4:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050915/REVIEWS/509150305

A quick skim of reviews though indicates that this movie may be a love/hate kind of thing. About half the reviewers love it and the other half hate it. If you like to go by reviews I recommend picking a reviewer who usually matches your taste in movies and stick with them. Chances are if your choice reviewer hated it you just might too. (some reviewers have higher tolerance for depressing endings and such while others give formulaic popcorn flicks extra points just for being fun for example)

Back