CGI client for IRC?

Penta2

Spaceman
Could we please have a CGI client for IRC?

Right now, Java is blocked by the same firewalls that block regular IRC access. :mad:

CGI::IRC apparently gets around that. :)

Just out of being curious, Kris, what's the reasoning behind it? Not allowed by the host? Too high bandwidth requirement? Not that it matters too much, but I was just wondering where the restriction was enforced.

Penta2 said:
Could we please have a CGI client for IRC?

Right now, Java is blocked by the same firewalls that block regular IRC access. :mad:

CGI::IRC apparently gets around that. :)

Uh, why not download the mIRC program and connect that way? Its how I got around my University firewall, moron.

LeHah said:
Uh, why not download the mIRC program and connect that way? Its how I got around my University firewall, moron.

... because he specifically said that didn't work in his original post? ("... firewalls that block regular IRC access")

A classic case of pride before the fall, LeHah.

Traditional IRC clients like mIRC and the Java client both connect to the IRC server directly. This means traffic is sent directly to IRC over a port number like 6667. Blocking these ports (which aren't normally used for anything else) on your network is trivial. This is Penta2's problem.

CGI:IRC lets you connect to the server over port 80, just like HTTP traffic (i.e. reading these forums). The proxy then passes your data on to the IRC server, allowing you to circumvent the blocked port.

CGI:IRC is primarily intended to connect to IRC via a web interface for ease of use. Circumventing a blocked port is only a consequence of this. If all you want to do is allow connections on a different port, then there is a far simpler way that doesn't involve proxies. Unfortunately, this is not an option at this time for purely technical reasons.

Bandit LOAF said:
... because he specifically said that didn't work in his original post? ("... firewalls that block regular IRC access")

Thats awfully odd. I'm friendly with my University's Computer/Networking department and they told me that IRC was blocked. Yet when I downloaded the program instead of using the JavaScript version (since University Staff desktops have some Java blocked for some reasons I don't understand), I was able to access #wingnut without a problem.

KrisV said:
CGI:IRC lets you connect to the server over port 80, just like HTTP traffic (i.e. reading these forums). The proxy then passes your data on to the IRC server, allowing you to circumvent the blocked port.
CGI:IRC is primarily intended to connect to IRC via a web interface for ease of use. Circumventing a blocked port is only a consequence of this. If all you want to do is allow connections on a different port, then there is a far simpler way that doesn't involve proxies. Unfortunately, this is not an option at this time for purely technical reasons.

Do you know of any free/cheap CGI:IRC tool that is easy to setup? I could need one for another site.

The name had me thinking it was only a module, but apparently CGI:IRC is a complete application. Perl and C code is provided. Just upload the CGIs or compile the C code and you're good to go.

Back