Cargo Pricing done

MamiyaOtaru

Spaceman
for our 100th thread, some celebration.

Cargo pricing is finally finished. After quite a bit of work and a couple one off programs, the final result took pricing as provided by Simon Smith, quantities as measured by Wendy and the current upgrade prices and mixed them all together into something Vegastrike can use.

One side effect is that the cargo screen is now flat instead of using a tree to display things. I worried that having all items visible at once would cause clutter, but it turns out OK, since most bases do not have every single item for sale.

So, in the next version of the remake, pricing and cargo availability will be a lot more familiar. Just as importantly, the previously missing pets cargo type has made its triumphant return.

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru
Just as importantly, the previously missing pets[/ cargo type has made its triumphant return.

Hmm, I wonder how the Kilrathi would react to me trying to sell them some kitties?

MamiyaOtaru said:
...the previously missing pets cargo type has made its triumphant return.

Finally, this project becomes worthy of bearing the name Privateer.

MamiyaOtaru said:
for our 100th thread, some celebration.

Cargo pricing is finally finished. After quite a bit of work and a couple one off programs, the final result took pricing as provided by Simon Smith, quantities as measured by Wendy and the current upgrade prices and mixed them all together into something Vegastrike can use.

One side effect is that the cargo screen is now flat instead of using a tree to display things. I worried that having all items visible at once would cause clutter, but it turns out OK, since most bases do not have every single item for sale.

So, in the next version of the remake, pricing and cargo availability will be a lot more familiar. Just as importantly, the previously missing pets cargo type has made its triumphant return.

Think you could release it as a patch?
What is it comprised of? Just the units.csv & master_part_list.csv? I think that those two will work well with the 9b release. I can try it if you like. If it runs clean, why not?

It would work if the turret patch is already installed. It duplicates most of the changes of course but there are a couple new meshes.

And while it applies cleanly, it doesn't quite run cleanly yet. To signify that the player cannot sell a type of cargo at a certain type of base, that cargo's price for the base is set to 0. (they are not sold by the base either of course, their availability is also set to 0). Somehow those cargos are showing up anyway, probably from other merchants selling it there (which is unfair if you can't ;) ). When that happens the player can then buy them for 0 credits :-/

We need to make it ironclad that cargos with price 0 are not sold from that base, and we might want to do something about other random cargo types becoming available, though I find that a minor irritation.

MamiyaOtaru said:
It would work if the turret patch is already installed. It duplicates most of the changesof course but there are a couple new meshes.

And while it applies cleanly, it doesn't quite run cleanly yet. To signify that a cargo type should not be sold at a certain type of base, that cargo's price for the base is set to 0. (they are not sold their either of course, their availability is also set to 0). Somehow those cargos are showing up anyway, probably from other merchants selling it there (which is unfair if you can't ;) ). When that happens the player can then buy them for 0 credits :-/

We need to make it ironclad that cargos with price 0 are not sold from that base, and we might want to do something about other random cargo types becoming available, though I find that a minor irritation.

Yeah, I'm noticing some of that. Good point

It sorta did break the saves.
Turrets. Specifically fusion turrets.
They're still there, just not visible if you go to weapons.

Wendy said:
It sorta did break the saves.
Turrets. Specifically fusion turrets.
They're still there, just not visible if you go to weapons.
Logically, Fusion Turrets, like Fusion Cannons would not be available in the timeframe of the original campaign. If you already bought some, it presents a problem :D

Sell them before updating, or edit them out of your savegame.

MamiyaOtaru said:
Logically, Fusion Turrets, like Fusion Cannons would not be available in the timeframe of the original campaign.
??? Fusion cannons were always available in the original from the start of a new game, were they not?

Oh. Were they only in Righteous Fire, then? Fusion Cannons are the 80,000-credit guns, right? Did they show up in Privateer after you completed the campaign?

What's the deal with the cargoless New Detroit?

Nothing to sell and only buying stuff for 10cr or less? Makes it like my own home. I can store cargo I don't want to sell yet there, as there is no trade. No odd adds, no deletes, the stuff just sits.

Also noted that there are darned few scans these days. I've gotten lax about freeing the odd pilot because there is little worry I'll get scanned. Then I get to base and SURPRISE! You have contraband

It's probably because New Detroit is considered an Industrial Planet instead of a New Detroit planet. Fixed it up so both should be the same, and working.

MamiyaOtaru said:
It's probably because New Detroit is considered an Industrial Planet instead of a New Detroit planet. Fixed it up so both should be the same, and working.

Thanks.
I was quite puzzled. Not that I minded my own industrial planet, but others might have gotten miffed.

Another issue is that construction equipment does not seem to have its own sprite anymore. It assumes the sprite from the previously viewed item.

i.e.
Buy or Sell Medical Supplies then go look at construction and it has the Medico sprite.
THEN, go to buy or sell grain then go look at construction. It now has the grain sprite.

Doesn't matter WHAT commodity preceeds it, It keeps that commodity. EVEN IF THE COMMODITY WAS FROM A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BASE. The last commodity viewed is the sprite you see.

here's a question:
currently AI-traders sell cargo at a base for the price it buys it... like grain at a mining base for expensive... or iron at an ag planet for expensive...
Right now we show this cargo to the player and let them buy it (at potentially disadvantageous prices)...should we do this... or should we only keep the original items that are supposed to be sold there... and restock bases from time to time...

Commodities trading is a risky business. You do a bit of day trading at the start of the game. You need to have a certain amount of risk in everything. In the original, you had the same thing. Why not here? AND you should only "restock" regular items for the base at irregular intervals. That way, if I trade a little heavy in one area, it's an inducement to move on to greener pastures. You sucked it dry and you need a new well-spring for a while. Go back after a week or more of game time and things should be close to starting levels.

Man that sounds rough to code in.

Wendy said:
Another issue is that construction equipment does not seem to have its own sprite anymore. It assumes the sprite from the previously viewed item.
It's not that it doesn't have a sprite anymore, it's that it didn't even exist before the cargo overhaul. Currently it is using a nonexistant sprite (construction.png) in the hopes that such a sprite will indeed be added later, and it will. Thanks for reminding me.
hellcatv said:
Right now we show this cargo to the player and let them buy it (at potentially disadvantageous prices)...should we do this... or should we only keep the original items that are supposed to be sold there... and restock bases from time to time...
What did the original do? Stuff gets sold to a base so it can get used, so it seems a little weird that they would turn around and sell it again, though they might reasonably do so if they get too much of it. I guess I wouldn't mind some potentially disadvantagous buys (of stuff the base doesn't produce), but right now it seems there are too many of them.

Back