Capital Ships custom mission

Kevin Caccamo

Rear Admiral
I have created a Capital Ships (WC Arena game mode) themed WC Saga mission for the simulator. I'm not sure what bugs need to be nailed out. I have done the best I can myself to nail out all the bugs.

This is where you come in: I'm releasing a public beta of the mission. Please report any bugs you find in the mission on this thread.

And... I know that the Kilrathi ships right now are using the Confed heads. I don't know how to fix that, but I'm working on it.

Get it here

Not bad for a start ;)

I'd recommend to assign a music track and starfield.pof (skybox) to the mission (in the mission specs). :)

Comm Animations List

Head-CM3 - "Decoding Starship Transmission"
Head-CM4 - "Incoming Long Range Burst Transmission"
Head-CM5 - "Receiving Secondary Comm Channel"

Head-CP1 - Confed Pilot ambient
Head-CP2 - Confed Pilot battle
Head-CP3 - Confed Pilot Death - used for scripted deaths
Head-CP4 - Confed Pilot 2 ambient (currently not used)

Head-CT1 - Male Animation 1
Head-CT2 - Male Animation 2
Head-CT3 - Male Animation 3
Head-CT4 - Female Animation 1
Head-CT5 - Female Animation 2
Head-CT6 - Female Animation 3

Head-KA1 - Kilrathi Ace 1
Head-KA2 - Kilrathi Ace 1
Head-KA3 - Kilrathi Ace Death - used for scripted comms

Head-KC - kilrathi warship - used for ambient comms

Head-KP1 - Kilrathi pilot 1
Head-KP2 - Kilrathi pilot 2
Head-KP3 - Kilrathi death animation - used for scripted death messages

Head-PP1 - pirate head from Wing Commander 4

Head-STA - "Decoding Ship Transmission" fading to static: used for jamming messages and warship deaths

#Personas

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 1
$Persona: Wingman 07

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 2
$Persona: Wingman 08

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 3
$Persona: Wingman 09

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 4
$Persona: Wingman 10

#Personas

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 1
$Persona: Wingman 07

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 2
$Persona: Wingman 08

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 3
$Persona: Wingman 09

;;Kilrathi Generic Death 4
$Persona: Wingman 10

Thank you very much, Towlyn! I thought it was something to do with personas. :)

I just didn't know which ones were the cats.

Ok... If my progress was on a 10 point scale, I would be at 8.

Just two more questions for you guys before I release the full version.

1. Should I include pickups?
2. Should I change the player to a Longbow bomber halfway through the mission?

Thank you.

1) Well there aren't any pickups in the FS engine so that would be hard to do I guess.

2) A reason I see why you wouldn't want to do the switching is that the torpedos down a cruiser very fast. Don't know how it is compared to Arena but I think one Longbow with a good pilot is enough. So its more a question of the gameplay balance / duration of the mission if you want to give the player some torpedos.

Do you have any screenshots of what this looks like Kevin?

The pickups are just small, neat cubes. They will most likely differ from Arena, but I have:

Hull Repair
Missile Reload
Temporary Invulnerability (30 sec)

They come in six different colours: Green, red, blue, purple, cyan, and yellow.

And a picture is below:

pickup.png

I imported the pickup model with PCS2.

@gevatter lars: It's easy to make pickups. Here is the SEXP:

Code:
Pickup:
when
 <
  distance
   (PLAYER SHIP NAME)
   (PICKUP NAME)
 do-something
 ship-vanish
  (PICKUP NAME)

E.g. If you wanted the pickup to change the player's ship to a Longbow

Code:
Pickup Longbow:
when
 <
  distance
   Player 1
   Longbow (1)
 change-ship-class
  F/A-76A Longbow P
  Player 1
 ship-vanish
  Longbow (1)

Where "Longbow (1)" is the name of the pickup and "Player 1" is the player ship's name.

BTW, I'll get rid of the longbow reinforcements and replace them with a pickup that changes your ship to a longbow.

*nodes*

yes, this will work :)

Don't forget to remove collision detection from the pickup model (via ships.tbl).

Thats sound like a funny idea to change the players ship via pickups. When they span randomly in a fight the situation for you could change in a split of a second.

On moment you fly a light fighter and suddenly you are a bomber ^_^
That could be fun and frusttrating at the same time.
So what plans do you have to placeing the picups?

That above was me...forgot to login ^_^

PS: Its nice to see that people are experimenting with FRED.
Have you thougth about making it a MP/coop mission later in the development?

Don't forget to remove collision detection from the pickup model (via ships.tbl).

I copied the TBL data from the Nav Buoy, gave the Pickup a different name and replaced the model name with pickup.pof. The Nav buoy did not have collision detection, apparently.

gevatter lars said:
Thats sound like a funny idea to change the players ship via pickups. When they span randomly in a fight the situation for you could change in a split of a second.

On moment you fly a light fighter and suddenly you are a bomber ^_^
That could be fun and frusttrating at the same time.
So what plans do you have to placeing the picups?

Well, I've fought a lot of dogfights on my custom mission and I have not accidentally ran into pickups yet.

BTW, you'll have to wait for my Longbow pickup to spawn. It won't be in the battlefield right away.

gevatter lars said:
That above was me...forgot to login ^_^

PS: Its nice to see that people are experimenting with FRED.
Have you thougth about making it a MP/coop mission later in the development?

Yah, I guess when you guys are finished implementing the MP feature, I will try and convert my mission to an MP mission.

Ok... I think all that's left to do is packaging the pickup and the mission into a VP and zipping the VP.

Unless you want me to change the pickups before I release it...

If the pickups are fine with you, here is the download link.

The pickups are just small, neat cubes. They will most likely differ from Arena, but I have:

Hey, I was asking if you had screenshots from your actual mission. A handful of random pictures (and also a brief set of instructions to get people who've never used any of this stuff before playing) will do a lot to get people to try your game.

Ok, Chrisreid, production stage 10/10. It's go time! :D

Screenshots of the mission and directions for installing the mission and using the pickup in your own missions are now included in the zip file.

Grab it here

Some people who come regularly on #wingnut may already know that I have made a few improvements to this mission. I've finally had time to re-release the improved mission. Some new screenshots and a new VP file is included in the download. Just re-download the old file and unzip the VP to your prologue directory. To play this mission, go into the mission simulator in the tech room and run the mission "Arena Tribute: Capital Ships"

IMPORTANT: This mission requires you to have the latest build of FS2_Open, since it takes advantage of the new 2D mission feature. You can download it at this HLP thread. Just place it in your prologue directory. If you want to play the Arena mission, you must run fs2_open_3_6_9-20071028T.exe

NOTE: You may want to delete the old VP so that you won't see two missions named "Arena Tribute: Capital Ships"

To switch into chase camera mode, press the star (*) key on your numpad.

Back