C&C First Decade Ships To Stores (February 7, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

Electronic Arts announced this morning that they have shipped Command & Conquer: The First Decade. This new pack represents one of EA's most complete series anthlogies ever. Beginning with 1995's original C&C title, the set includes twelve titles released during the franchise's first ten years. As the FMV concept proved to be mainly a fad, both Wing Commander and Command & Conquer were two of the few that were able to pull it off with a lot of success. Although the development team behind Generals & Zero Hour has been working on the Lord of the Rings based RTS games lately, First Decade's title implies there is more yet to come.

For $39.99, buyers also get a bonus DVD with concept art, developer interviews and contributions from the world's biggest C&C fans. EA has also set up a Screenshot Hall of Fame to record players' biggest moments. For fans of both Wing Commander and Command & Conquer, picking up this special set might tell EA how interested gamers are in their classic game catalog from the 1990s.

--
Original update published on February 7, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
You're the guy who gets angry because the giant bucket of free gold he's given isn't diamond studded, aren't you?

I'm really VERY excited about this. Not only because I really enjoy C&C (not the music factory, the games) immensely, but because of the very encouraging comments from EA on the screenshots page...
EA person said:
Command & Conquer The First Decade would not be possible without the living, breathing, and gargantuan C&C community that is still salivating for anything C&C and excited about the future.

With over 100 modifications active in the C&C community and thousands of games being played every day throughout every game included in The First Decade compilation, we expect there have been some amazing scenes of destruction, chaos, humor, and rare C&C moments that exemplify what this historic RTS series is all about. It is time to capitalize on those scenes and induct them in to the official, “Command & Conquer Hall of Fame.”

Need I say more? I can only thank the people who made Unknown Enemy, Standoff, the RPG guys, the CIC staff and everyone who keeps WC alive and breathing. MAybe that will be our ticket for a big WC box filled with goodies.

BTW, all of us should buy 2 copies of C&C1stD... if it sells well, it increases the chance of having a WC box.

And Karthik@Kane is right... All those companies make good games!! I HATE THEM!!! I WANT BAD GAMES!!!<maniac>NOT!!!</maniac>

ChrisReid said:
This new pack represents one of EA's most complete series anthlogies ever. Beginning with 1995's original C&C title, the set includes twelve titles released during the franchise's first ten years. As the FMV concept proved to be mainly a fad, both Wing Commander and Command & Conquer were two of the few that were able to pull it off with a lot of success.

Funny thing is that EA hasn't entirely abandond live-action FMV. Need for speed: Most wanted is a fun arcade racer yet they actualy have a whole bunch of acted cutscenes (I beleive the backgrounds are CG). As far as I can tell, its pretty linear though so nothing like multiple versions in a wc game. however, it kinda puts the nail in the coffin of the idea that EA is afraid of filming cutscenes.

There is a downside to this (or a plus dependind on how you want to look at it), NFS:Most Wanted is cross platform and a currently established franchise, not a series that hasn't seen action in years. I do feel that EA wouldn't consider a new WC game though without it being cross-platform. At least, I dont think you would see the quality we expect if it isn't.

Edfilho said:
Need I say more? I can only thank the people who made Unknown Enemy, Standoff, the RPG guys, the CIC staff and everyone who keeps WC alive and breathing. MAybe that will be our ticket for a big WC box filled with goodies.

BTW, all of us should buy 2 copies of C&C1stD... if it sells well, it increases the chance of having a WC box.

Yeah, I'm always saying fan support is the most important thing. Everyone who's involved with Wing Commander community stuff today is doing their part to bring the next game closer to reality.

Those C&C boxes are from my own collection. I'm only missing Red Alert: Aftermath and C&C Sole Survivor (not counting a million console ports and special releases in the series).

That's very neat. But they should include Sole Survivor! And Dune II, for good measure. Ayways, it would be great if this thing remained common. Especially for other hit EA game series that used FMV on the 90's. Like... Wing Commander. Throw in the DVD version of WCP so we can patch it with HCl's hi-res patch, and a bonus DVD with concept art for good measure. Then we could forget about the whole "Wolrds of Ultima Online: Origin" thing. Just do it, EA. As Pink5 would put it, "it's not like it's hard".

Another cool factor is that this kind of product is an instant collection. No worry having to track down old games at ebay, and all that. Just everything in one nice package. It's cheap to produce, involves little risk, use availables assets, and even tests the market for the franchise.

As will I, even though I bought the previous EA C&C bundle, and about half the package is redundant.

And yeah, if this thing sells well enough, perhaps they will consider a wingcommander collection set too. Perhaps with high res cutscenes for prophecy, IV, III, and privateer 2!

High resolution video for WC3 and P2 might be a little difficult, since there's no such thing for those two games...

Privateer 2 was shot on film -- it may exist somewhere (though I doubt it would be available today).

IMHO, the creativity likely to be contained in the "contributions from the world's biggest C&C fans" on the bonus DVD could be worth $40 alone.

Here is what EA was looking for in November of 2005
Are You The Biggest Command & Conquer Fan?
Prove it! The producers of Command & Conquer The First Decade want you to create an original video showing your Command & Conquer pride. The best submissions will be showcased on the bonus DVD!

This is your ONE chance to define your place in Command & Conquer history. All it takes is passion, a little bit of humor, and a 3 minute video showcasing why YOU are the biggest Command & Conquer fan in the world!

. . .
Now is your chance to become a part of Command & Conquer history by showing us why YOU are one of the biggest Command & Conquer fans ever.

We’re looking for you to submit the most entertaining fall-off-your-chair-laughing videos proving your undying devotion to Command & Conquer. Maybe it’s you dressed as Kane reenacting your favorite cinematic from the game… Perhaps it’s you showing us your fancy website... Or maybe the life-size GDI tank you built in your garage… Or maybe it’s a memorable match that changed your life. It’s up to you, but we want your very best.

We’re also looking for any photos or fan art you’ve created. This could be of you at the top of the Swiss Alps holding a Command & ConquerGold box...Or a drawing of Tanya (rated Teen please)…Anything to get our blood pumping with Command & Conquer.

Whatever you submit, make it your best! This is your BIG opportunity to be a part of C&C history!
. . .
http://www.ea.com/official/cc/generals/us/community_showcase.jsp#

Hmmmm. I wonder if there is any way we could show EA our support for wing commander so they might make a box set of it too. Perhaps good old hand written letters (email, and online petitions would most likely just be ignored).

hurleybird said:
Hmmmm. I wonder if there is any way we could show EA our support for wing commander so they might make a box set of it too. Perhaps good old hand written letters (email, and online petitions would most likely just be ignored).

The point is that we're already doing much more than that. The people on the fan DVD are people who got together in real life to celebrate the series, created fan projects, fan art, hosted tournaments and so on. These C&C fans were recognized because they live and breath their series every day. EA doesn't care if a dozen or two people write letters. Thousands of people showing their daily devotion for many years is far more effective.

I picked this up the other day, and I notice that C&C (the original) freezes up every once in a while. Anyone else having problems with it?

I've only started to look around for it... but I fear it might not be available north of the U.S. border.
About the games, are they all set run on windows XP?

Games that run in 98 at all are getting pretty rare, and the C&C First Decade pack *requires* XP. There's going to be a very tiny number of new games shipped to retail in 2006 that don't run automatically in XP, and definitely none from major publishers such as Electronic Arts.

BTW, I got confirmation that the pack is being released by EA Brasil too.
Let us hope that it won't be too expensive.

Back