BREAKING NEWS: New Arena Screenshots (April 13, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
It looks like the EA Arcade website is working for us... they have updated their Wing Commander Arena page with seven spectacular new screenshots! The biggest news here, though, is that the game seems to have added exactly what fans have been asking for -- a new 'behind the ship' camera which makes the game 'look' less like SubSpace and more like FreeLancer! We can't absolutely confirm that, but judge for yourself:

You can find the site's original eight screenshots archived in our Wing Commander Arena section.

--
Original update published on April 13, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
These are beautiful. My biggest complaint with the screenshots up to now has been that the fighters were difficult to see; this looks a lot closer to Wing Commander than the overhead shots.

Holy hippo spit, this is amazing news. I really, really hope this new camera angle is confirmed! :)

They look amazing, I just can't wait to understand what the hell is in front of me though. Wish we knew what they were playing during the shots. So many new HUD icons...

The big guns look badass too....

Yea Arrows!!!! Have you guys made a complete ship list yet as to what classic ships we will be seeing in Arena?

Yes -- the Arrow, Rapier II, Broadsword, Darket, Dralthi IX and Paktahn.

We've also seen a Midway-class carrier in one of the maps, and a Perry-style station on the game's menu. There are at least two new space stations and two new capital ships, too.

These are really great screenshots. You can finally see some excellent detail on the fighters! More than that, the HUDs are more slick, the asteroids look more real, the deck plating on the capships is better textured, the colors of background space are better and so on. Arena is coming along great!

It really looks much improved, and as an arcade title I'm now much less dubious.
Even if it controls the same as before it is a matter of perception, it's much easier to associate it with titles such as Armada now, rather than the subspace mod we all played so long ago.

A big step in the right direction.

It really looks much improved, and as an arcade title I'm not much less dubious.
Even if it controls the same as before it is a matter of perception, it's much easier to associate it with titles such as Armada now, rather than the subspace mod we all played so long ago.

A big step in the right direction.

I agree with you on that Pedro. The graphics have taken a very nice move and the new camera angle makes me feel like I'm playing WC3-P in chase cam. It is really a great move. I can't wait till we can count the days till release.

The pictures look a lot better, and have more of a wing commander feel to them, from the new camera angle. I don’t think I will be able to tell which way makes the game more fun without actually playing it though.

Yeah, the graphics look beautiful. I like the way EA have improved the camera angles and 'the close-up' view (in such a short period) for the player's gameplay pleasure.

For some reason, I'm anticipating a new gamerpic more than anything. ~~~... I so want the confed badge as my gamertile!

Back