BREAKING NEWS: Fatman Releases Wing Commander Music (August 2, 2007)

The Fat Man's book was one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. I highly, highly recommend everyone to buy it. It's REALLY good!

His WC1 surf music version is awesome! I'd swear that it's real guitar and not computerized synthetic stuff.

Agree. WC1 Surf Theme was awesome. I expected something similar great from the album.

Regarding what is release I kinda have to agree with Mad Hatter - just that I would be a bit more diplomatic in my replies. Now - I know that I am far from having any knowledge or experience in music, but for me these tracks sound identical as plaing the MIDIs in Windows Media Player. Period.

I could have downloaded them before they even had a price on them - but I passed.

I disagree - at "worst" they sound like the super-nice mp3s extracted from the FM Towns version of the game... and I, for one, love that music.

Besides, who here bothered to track down an FM Towns and FM Towns port for WC1? Just LOAF? Exactly.

Props to the Fatman and Team Fat for the ongoing release of these tracks! :)

Where does the Fatman's WC1 Surf theme factor in to this release, if at all? This project's seemingly been under construction for so long that I thought the Surf theme was a sign of its new direction or was it rather just a one-off production?

At any rate, since this subject was brought up, are there orchestral WC tracks available anywhere?

If there were, you wouldn't be asking because the CIC would've already told you. ;)

I suppose the Wing Commander movie score is orchestral... I don't know of anyone who's recorded "real" versions of the game music.

I hate to sound like I'm agreeing with Mad Hater (intended), I think I was a little dissapointed because I was under the impression that we were getting an orchestration, even if it was only using new soundfonts. Someone already mentioned the Surf Theme which is awesome and I kind of assumed I guess that the rest of the album would use a more classic style but would be redone in the same way. Was there a shift in direction somewhere or was I always of the wrong impression of what this project was about?

Don't get me wrong. I Like the music as-is quite a bit, Did Fatman release his tweaks of the mt32 stuff instead of waiting for David Govett to work on the other half of the track as that is per my understanding what the delay on the project was about?

I don't understand where the questions come from (for you or Mad Hatter) - he explains that this is exactly the case in the material quoted in the first news post about the album.

I don't understand where the questions come from (for you or Mad Hatter) - he explains that this is exactly the case in the material quoted in the first news post about the album.

I'm not exactly questioning (well I guess I was) so much as stating that I was under the wrong impression. I like what was rereleased, but now that I reread some of the original posts I see that I must not have originally understood the intent of the project.

Any disapointment were about my own expectation (misguided), not about the actual release. So I can understand where some people are coming from. Though I don't get where all the rest of the whining is coming from

No, I think that's a valid criticism (although, I question the necessary of such criticism with regards to such a non-commercial fan-oriented release in general - we wouldn't hold Standoff to such standars). The original intend was certainly to have the people originally involved in the music (Sanger and Govett) reorchestrate the music to some extent. Govett never became available and Sanger gave us the best he could under that circumstance - along with a note saying that the music might be reorchestrated someday if Govett ever had time. We can certainly discuss what to do about that here (maybe someone knows Mr. Govett and can pass a message to him, who knows)!

The biggest issue in this thread isn't fans claiming the music is perfect and can't be improved or anything of the sort... it's Mad Hatter's strange descent from regular user to jerk to anti-community loser to mouth-foaming crazy person.

Back