BREAKING NEWS: ESRB Announces Rating for 'Wing Commander Arena' (February 21, 2007)

...btw.. where'd my robot go? I plan to get the Xbox 360 anyway so I can play Arena. I guess I'll have one of those Xbox live avatars soon.

For this forum, avatars don't show, replacing them with gamercards.

As NinjaLA noted, you don't need to have a ybox to register (which you may want to do soon, to make sure you don't have to do something like the "WC" tacked onto my name because just "Nohbody" was taken :p ).

2D environment? This reeks of being a reskin or reuse of an existing game engine. I play anything with Wing Commander in the title, however, so I'll be suckered in, but paint me cautious. I think our best hope for this is that it tests the waters for the green light on a completely new title true to the WC universe.

2D environment? This reeks of being a reskin or reuse of an existing game engine. I play anything with Wing Commander in the title, however, so I'll be suckered in, but paint me cautious. I think our best hope for this is that it tests the waters for the green light on a completely new title true to the WC universe.

Before this gets out of hand, let me be clear: this game was developed from the ground up as a Wing Commander title. It's the result of trying to figure out how to do a Wing Commander game within the limitations of Live Arcade rather than reusing or renaming anything else.

Before this gets out of hand, let me be clear: this game was developed from the ground up as a Wing Commander title. It's the result of trying to figure out how to do a Wing Commander game within the limitations of Live Arcade rather than reusing or renaming anything else.

well thats commendable. I just hope that EA comes to their senses and makes a proper WC game for the consoles soon. I think microsoft might even pressure them given that the 360 has no decent flight sims and the PS3 will have Warhawk ( *drools ) comming soon to the PSN.

Also its interesting to compare, the Play station network will be distributing Warhawk just like XBL will distribute Arena but there is no comparisons between the games. I think arena should have more stuff because i dont see people playing it for more than say a month after the game is released.

Its sad and all but i guess we should be somewhat thankful for getting a chance to immerse ourselves in HD wing Commander for the 1st time.

( P.S. a dream come true would be WCSaga via Microsoft XNA studio on the 360 :D )

Pedro, please don't contribute to stupid internet groupthink. There's far more than enough of that in regards to Arena, we don't need to add the usual "Micro$uck" crap, too.

Microsoft are fantastic if you're a proffesional developer, I could list the reasons XNA isn't at all what it ought to be, and is a bad starting point for aspiring programmers, but I'm at work, maybe later.

2D environment? This reeks of being a reskin or reuse of an existing game engine.

As LOAF said, it was started from scratch last year as a new Wing Commander game.

I play anything with Wing Commander in the title, however, so I'll be suckered in, but paint me cautious. I think our best hope for this is that it tests the waters for the green light on a completely new title true to the WC universe.

Great. When you do play it, you'll see how it's surprisingly true to the WC universe after all these years. It also can't help not be testing the waters for whatever may lie in the future.

This game, coming out is great news. But, I probably will not purchase it. Primarily, because I don't have a 360. The graphics are very stunning and the overall setting of the game in the WC universe shows WC has come exceedingly far.

I often wonder if the game designers visit our forums for ideas.

From what I've read about the game, it seems there is not much of a campaign mode. Of course I could be speaking too soon.
For myself, this is disappointing. The unfolding story is what draws me to the game. If the game came with a number of missions in single player mode surrounded by plot, that would buy me.
This is fantastic news, though. I might change my mind, after seeing it on the shelves in the stores, when it's released.

It might be a little hard to see on the shelves, since it's going to be available through Live Arcade as a direct download, not a physical disc on game store shelves. :)

I don't want to go and get ahead of myself here, but there is a possibility that a retail boxed version could be released someday. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...sr_1/105-6376788-9159639?ie=UTF8&s=videogames Microsoft recently released its first volume of XBox Live Arcade titles on disc. It features five titles that range in popularity and game type. This disc was also bundled with some 360 units over the holidays. It's certainly possible that Wing Commander Arena could be made available in this form someday. Maybe EA could even release their own pack with Arena, Boom Boom Rocket and future Arcade games that they develop.

Back