BREAKING NEWS: Arena Site Updated (June 29, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Electronic Arts' official Wing Commander Arena website has been updated with some cool new material that's sure to impress! First up is a third 'Did You Know?' ship fact, this time presenting the Dralthi IX Striker:
Two hundred years of development and ten major revisions of the spaceframe have led to this: The Dralthi IX. The Striker design is an evolution of the spit-and-glue Dralthi IV models flown by Bloodhunters at the start of the Nephilim conflict. The result is a fighter which has repeatedly proven itself in action both against and alongside the Confederation's Hurricane II and the Border World's Predator-class front line military fighters.
How cool is that? Well, it gets better - EA's Community Manager has also posted a stunning new rendering. "Under Attack" shows a giant space battle involving ships of all sorts - Broadswords, Rapiers, Dralthi, Darkets, Arrows... even a Perry-style base!

The EA Arcade site's previous ship facts for the Darket Raptor and the Rapier II Blade have been archived in our Arena section.

--
Original update published on June 29, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. The picture is nice and inside the info we get more continuity material about two other fighters. And I guess the Hurricane II is a nod the the Hurricanes mentioned in AS.

Edit:

Hmm, you mention the infos about the Rapier II Blade and the Darket Raptor - but where did I get those facts about the Broadsword Executioner and the Dralthi Rhino from?

The A-17 Broadsword Executioner: The Broadsword was first constructed for planetary bombing
raids during the Pilgrim War, and was soon adapted to carry torpedoes. Lightly armored but
sporting heavy weapons and good missiles as well as a deployable turret and a tractor beam, this
bomber is perfect for taking on small, quick fighters.

The Dralthi IX Rhino: By far the heaviest Dralthi ever constructed, the Rhino is the equal of the
Vaktoth or the Hhriss. Heavily armored and armed, with moderate speed and maneuverability, the
Rhino hits hard and keeps on hitting.

I think the Broadsword one came quite early - in an interview maybe?

Hmm, you mention the infos about the Rapier II Blade and the Darket Raptor - but where did I get those facts about the Broadsword Executioner and the Dralthi Rhino from?

I think the Broadsword one came quite early - in an interview maybe?

I'm pretty sure they came from an interview with Sean Penney, though I would have to go look to tell you which one exactly.

I think one of the videos might show that text scrolling along the bottom of the screen when you're looking at fighter stats in-game.

And that really is a fantastic image. Who would have thought we'd be getting exciting new official battle renders in 2007?

It's here in the interview the CIC did with Sean: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7698

CIC interview with Sean Penney said:
Q. Will the game include any familiar Wing Commander elements -- ships, history or the like?

A. Oh yes of course - we've advanced the history in a minor way, and the ships are drawn from across the WC universe, and will be familiar to WC fans. We've updated some to fit in with the frontier-like atmosphere of Arena. For Example:

The A-17 Broadsword Executioner: The Broadsword was first constructed for planetary bombing raids during the Pilgrim War, and was soon adapted to carry torpedoes. Lightly armored but sporting heavy weapons and good missiles as well as a deployable turret and a tractor beam, this bomber is perfect for taking on small, quick fighters.

And

The Dralthi IX Rhino: By far the heaviest Dralthi ever constructed, the Rhino is the equal of the Vaktoth or the Hhriss. Heavily armored and armed, with moderate speed and maneuverability, the Rhino hits hard and keeps on hitting.

Q. When and where in the Wing Commander universe is the game set?

A. The Epsilon Sector, 2701. The Terran Confederation and the Kilrathi Assembly of Clans have beaten back the Nephilim hordes, but at a terrible cost. As the shattered governments focus on rebuilding the core worlds, the frontier has descended into lawlessness. Regional governors hold power through force of arms, as humans and Kilrathi alike fight amongst themselves using the weapons of the last war. Privateers, outlaws and worse take advantage of the situation, eager to make a quick credit in the galaxy's most volatile arena...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back