BREAKING NEWS: Arena Preview #7 (May 10, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
"Edgy" gaming news site Kotaku has posted their impressions of Wing Commander Arena. As with the GameSpy preview this morning, they were disappointed that it "wasn't Wing Commander"... but they were pleased with the game itself. While their criticism is somewhat understandable, it should be clear to everyone reading this that Electronic Arts has gone to extreme lengths to make sure Arena incorporates many elements of the Wing Commander continuity -- and I will personally guarantee that you'll be seeing a lot more in the coming weeks. Read the whole thing here.
I asked one of the EA guys about that and he told me that the cockpit view just didn't fit with this version of the game. Mostly, he said, because the game is so fast-paced and can have up to 15 others in the game dog-fighting with you. He also said it' a view that can make you motion sick... and I know what that's like.
The best thing to come from this article are a pair of photos from the preview event, one of which shows the control layout:

--
Original update published on May 10, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of editorializing, these women are guilty, and must be dealt with in a harsh and brutal fashion. Otherwise, their behavior could incite other women leading to anarchy of biblical proportions.

Bandit LOAF said:
it should be clear to everyone reading this that Electronic Arts has gone to extreme lengths to make sure Arena incorporates many elements of the Wing Commander continuity and I will personally guarantee that you'll be seeing a lot more in the coming weeks

Oh man. Every day I get more hyped about this game!

All I want to say this point is...

GET ON WITH IT!

I'm not sure what is better though...new game or new continuty, both are so great...going to be reading and flying the first day without a doubt...it would be a great teaser if they release the new fiction a week or less before the game goes live.

The Kotaku preview looks kind of silly compared to the rest. It was posted here right after a gushing article from IGN talking about what happened to the Nephilim and how they had an awesome time blasting Kilrathi again. And then it was immediately followed by another site talking about how EA did a great job integrating classic elements of the series while freshening things up at the same time.

You'll notice that the Kotaku article is the one that's quoted over and over when you run a Google Blogsearch. It's expertly manufactured cynicism for a generation of idiots who isn't interested in anything if it isn't somehow self-satisfyingly controversial.

No one wants to hear that Arena is a fun game (which even Kotaku couldn't avoid admitting) or that it respects Wing Commander's continuity... it has to be part of a dastardly plan by evil executives to take advantage of 'gamers'. We'll all grow up eventually.

Helpful pictures, though.

The Kotaku preview looks kind of silly compared to the rest. It was posted here right after a gushing article from IGN talking about what happened to the Nephilim and how they had an awesome time blasting Kilrathi again. And then it was immediately followed by another site talking about how EA did a great job integrating classic elements of the series while freshening things up at the same time.

At least they played it and admitted it was fun, unlike the Mercury News guy that admits to merely fiddling with it because he decided to hate it before hand for not having a single player story campaign mode. Even the commentators at his site called him on his bad journalism.

Back