Border Worlds and Militia

LividLiquid

Rear Admiral
I thought this deserved it's own thread.

I recently stated that the Border Worlds millitia is in Gemini, and that is the millitia that you fly with\against in Privateer. I was promptly shot down. Why? Gemini sector IS the Border Worlds. Granted, the WCP map doesn't specify that Gemini belongs to the Border Worlds, but the also forgot to include the Deneb sector. A whole sector!

Anyway, I figured right from the start that the war waged by Tolwyn in WCIV was to the Millitia. Never occured to me that I could be wrong. So if you will, LOAF, what's your argument?

No the Gemini sector is not in BW and the BW militia did not exist yet, plus the militia in Gemini is local militia that any planet/system in Confed can have

Originally posted by LividLiquid
I thought this deserved it's own thread.

I recently stated that the Border Worlds millitia is in Gemini, and that is the millitia that you fly with\against in Privateer. I was promptly shot down.

According to the WCP map, all the Gemini sector is colored
Blue for Confederation control.

As to militia: There can be more than one meaning to the
word. In Russia all police units are called "militia",
even the traffic cops. I think this is the meaning intended
in Privateer.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Granted, the WCP map doesn't specify that Gemini belongs to the Border Worlds, but the also forgot to include the Deneb sector. A whole sector!

As shown on the map, Deneb Sector devolved into Deneb Quadrant in Epsilon Sector.

I still personally consider it a sector.

After all it was referred to IN THE GAMES as the Deneb SECTOR.

[Edited by redwolf on 03-03-2001 at 21:40]

Face it. They screwed up the map. The Gemini sector is the BORDER between Terran and Kilrathi space. If you don't believe me, check the game, or even just the intro for the game.

None of these arguments have me convinced. I know what Millitia means, and that's totally irrelevant. Let's look at the facts:

The Border Worlds Millitia--

The Millitia from Privateer is IN the Border worlds. The series of systems bordering Terran and Kilrathi space. So logically... the Millitia and the Border Worlds Millitia are the same thing.

Originally posted by Nemesis
The Confederation doesn't.

Well obviously the designers at Origin thought it was. I'd say the Confederation does to, since their pilots and staff officers refer to it as Deneb SECTOR.

And the Border Worlds were merely an organisation that broke away from the Confederation (or was not part of the Confederation to begin with). They don't necessarily have to include EVERY single border world.

Besides, New Constantinople is the Confederate seat of government in Gemini. Also, would BW have something as big as New Detroit or as renowned as Oxford?

The relationship between Militia and ConFed regulars are like police to soldiers in our current day.

[Edited by redwolf on 03-03-2001 at 22:53]

Face it. They screwed up the map.

How so? The map is dated as of 2678, showing Gemini Sector to be a part of the Confederation, and certain systems in Enigma, Epsilon, and Vega Sectors to be part of the Union of Border Worlds. What’s the conflict?

NO, the BW is not the entire border between the cats and confed, it is a collection of worlds that are on the boarder, never once are we told that the entire border is controled by the BW, plus that fact that the UBW didn't exist in Privateer time, it was part of the Confederation so perhaps in the future when the UBW broke away what was once the militia in gemini joins the UBW/BWM but we do not know that for sure. The militia of Gemini is most probably just exactly what I said the localy owned military that could act as a supplament to TNC. In the US there historically was the state militia's and now there is the national gaurd, which each state has it's own as a supplament to the US military. Enought SAID

Well obviously the designers at Origin thought it was. I'd say the Confederation does to, since their pilots and staff officers refer to it as Deneb SECTOR.

Yes, they did at the time of WC1&2, but do they in 2678? Even if we assume they do, the Confederation Chief of Stellar Cartography will always be the better authority regarding what “Deneb” officially is at that time.

Still, it’s easy to imagine and accept that during and after the war many thought of or referred to Deneb as a sector simply to emphasize a rough demarcation of Confed and Kilrathi space in that region.

The interesting question is whether Deneb ever had an official standing as a sector during the war. The Confederation Handbook suggests not, since Epsilon Sector is also the formal name on its “Map of Known Terran and Kilrathi Space” as of 2653.

The only thing that its not there is the Tri-system.

The map purports to depict only the contiguous portions of the Delta and Alpha galactic quadrants that have been "explored"; the bulk of the galaxy is left out.

When you're specifically looking for LOAF to answer a question, it's often best to e-mail him (G)

The Border Worlds Militia was a military organization formed in 2673 when the Border Worlds fought for their independence from Confed. Before this time, the Border Worlds were simply a region of Confed -- which did not, incidentally, include the Gemini Sector (check your Prophecy map). The Border Worlds are a *specific* group of systems, and not a term meaning any system bordering the Kilrathi.

The Prophecy map is "missing" many sectors -- it's not a complete map of the human universe, simply some of the more important sectors from the games (all 11 Armada sectors are missing, for instance, as is the Landreich, the Tri-System and the Hari). That said, the Deneb Sector *is* on the map, listed as "Epsilon" (as we see in WCIII, sectors can have varying names).

The militia in Gemini are civilian groups which have set themselves up to defend their planets while the confederation is unable to -- another example of this is the 'Home Defense' squadron seen in the WCIII novel... a group of Thunderbolts maintained by wealthy individuals wanting to defend Tamayo.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
When you're specifically looking for LOAF to answer a question, it's often best to e-mail him (G)

The Border Worlds Militia was a military organization formed in 2673 when the Border Worlds fought for their independence from Confed. Before this time, the Border Worlds were simply a region of Confed -- which did not, incidentally, include the Gemini Sector (check your Prophecy map). The Border Worlds are a *specific* group of systems, and not a term meaning any system bordering the Kilrathi.

The Prophecy map is "missing" many sectors -- it's not a complete map of the human universe, simply some of the more important sectors from the games (all 11 Armada sectors are missing, for instance, as is the Landreich, the Tri-System and the Hari). That said, the Deneb Sector *is* on the map, listed as "Epsilon" (as we see in WCIII, sectors can have varying names).

I would give your arguments more credibility if you sited your source. So far, our arguments cancel eachother out, considering neither of us has stated that we got any information from Origin or Chris Roberts. But to be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't trust Origin. Only Chris Roberts.

As a matter of fact, I have stated that nothing I have said has been proven, and that it was only what I assumed was true from the beginning. Much like the P2 not in Wc universe argument that lasted almost 500 posts. It's just something I've always thought. I brought it up here to get prooved right or wrong, but so far nobody's done that. The issue is still floating around like Jazz's helmet.

The best things for here or on IRC are debatable 'facts'. See the sides then make your own decision. Things like stats can be looked up, or various people can be asked personally.

TC

The UBW was a region of Confed, before they broke away...

As for LOAF's sources, look through every single WC product ever made, and you'll find what he's talking about.:)

Back