Beta 8 criticisms

PeteyG

I can have an avatar now
Just played for like two hours. Here are some of my thoughts on improvements:

-Automatic landing zones should be automatic, not require hitting the D key.
-The 'Repair All' button sucks; too expensive, and you should be able to choose what components you repair.
-Planets should regenerate their cargo a LOT faster. It sucks having to quit and restart just to make the Helen <-> (Achilles OR Hector) run profitable.
-Mining bases are too dark on their dark side. Their ambient material setting should be boosted to something like the Tarsus model so you can see details on the dark side.
-There's a SPEC instead of AUTO light in the disabled cockpit
-Pleasure planets don't have enough stuff to sell. Probably less than 20 items normally. Not enough even for a centurion.
-Clicking on the bartender should cancel any running bartender speak. I click repeatedly on a bartender trying to get a talk with audio, but end up running like 3 bartender speeches at the same time.
-Perry doesn't sell surplus weapons!
-Tachyon guns, while it is cool that they're only available in that one place, are WAY TOO CHEAP! I got a pair for like 16k, which is cheaper than some of the suckier guns. Far, far too inexpensive for the best gun in the game.

good points....
we're looking into typing in the privateer cargo system--that's very important...right now it's just a pasted vs cargo system without some key installations (factory, etc)

we can easily increase cargo regeneration--that was balanced for vega strike 2.95 haha

well disabled cockpit is really a luxury--we never use it--but ya we should at leaaaaast fix it or remove it, eh?

mining base fix should be trivial...good point
we could stop all sounds (cept music) when you click bartender--would that fix it?
perry could be fixed by chaging the cargo as we said
same with tacs.

As for reparing individual systems...just sell/buy that system--that'll fix it...
then you only have to repair for the hud fix. and that should cost as much as a hud fix costs.

-Automatic landing zones should be automatic, not require hitting the D key.
It isn't easy enough already? Besides, I hated accidentally drifting too close to a planet in a fight and finding myself docked and my missions cancelled.

Repair needs work.

-Planets should regenerate their cargo a LOT faster. It sucks having to quit and restart just to make the Helen <-> (Achilles OR Hector) run profitable.
I've not really had a problem with it (although I use the centurion most of the time, smaller hold). Sometimes I just find myself having to run a different cargo than just food or iron. It could stand a bit more to make the larger ships worthwhile though. Will be fixed.
-Mining bases are too dark on their dark side. Their ambient material setting should be boosted to something like the Tarsus model so you can see details on the dark side.
Agreed. Some (flashing?) lights would be nice as well.
-There's a SPEC instead of AUTO light in the disabled cockpit
or the whole thing should be removed :D Easy fix though, just one we haven't bothered with.

Having the bartender talk in rounds is a bit funny :) Also notice that if you leave the bar, and even take off, he keeps talking to you :D

I've never really done cargo runs from pleasure planets, so I didn't notice.

Cargo is due for a major overhaul anyway.. we plan on getting more sensible prices in there and hopefully the rest can be fixed at the same time.

Closer to Privateer naturally ;) Couldn't get closer to Vegastrike, it IS vegastrike's cargo system right now. This wouldn't be such a bad thing, but Vegastrike has several kinds of bases that privateer does not, and without them the pricing scheme/economy has large gaps.

We will be making sure prices are more in line with privateers, and that it will be possible to make a profit while trading.

The following paragraph is unrelated to what we are doing, just amusing. -
One funny thing about Privateer ws that having cargo would tend to make that kind of cargo cheaper/harder to sell at a profit. Easy way to load up your ship cheap was to buy one unit of cargo. Save game then load game and wham, that cargo is suddenly cheaper so you can fill up the rest of your hold at bargain bin prices :D

OK, here's a couple more I've turned up:

-I couldn't jump to safety once because apparently an enemy was present. I't's only happened once, but if this is the way it is, I think it should be changed.
-I cannot find any way to repair my HUD! There's no 'repair hud' item for sale at either Perry or New Detroit.
-It's possible to dump vital mission cargo (the artifact, etc) from the cargo interface.

PeteyG said:
-I couldn't jump to safety once because apparently an enemy was present. I't's only happened once, but if this is the way it is, I think it should be changed.
Never happened to me. It certainly isn't supposed to happen. I assume you were not out of jump fuel? ie after taking care of the enemy could you jump?
-I cannot find any way to repair my HUD! There's no 'repair hud' item for sale at either Perry or New Detroit.
There really isn't a repair anything, except for "repair all." That doesn't take care of it? Yes, repair needs work ;)
-It's possible to dump vital mission cargo (the artifact, etc) from the cargo interface.
done on purpose. If you fail a mission and are left with the cargo (which you are not allowed to sell), you have to get rid of it somehow. I suppose this could be fixed, but would require having basically 3 levels of sell-ability.. Regular cargo which you can sell, mission cargo which you can dump (to get rid of after a failed mission, and really-cannot-get-rid-of cargo. bleh Until something is done about it, don't dump the artifact ;)

Well, "Repair All" costs 19k right now. That's more than a tachyon gun!!!! just to get ride of some fritzing HUD elements.

Yeah, after I took care of the Dralthi bothering me I could jump fine.

Roger, won't dump my artifact from now on. : )

Back