Best Weapon Combo

Best Gun Combo

• Total voters
The Arrow's great combined with the speed. However, I absolutely love the Wasp's Tachyon/MD combo. I tend to grin evil when I gain angle on anyone. Yes, they drain fast if you're not careful, but they kick the hell out of just about anything that they hit.

I could have voted for the crossbow too. I liked the placement of the guns, it looked cool seeing five guns fire across your screen, good damage too.

Weapons customization is what made me love Freespace 2 so much...

Back to WC, the Raptor had to have been my favorite weapons combo as far as guns are concerned. As far as missiles, I loved the Morningstar ;).

WCP's Piranha: Firing one two full guns shots at target, then switching to the Stormfire (or what was the name?) gun for a few shots, then quickly switching back to another full guns blast to finish the target off. "F", "G", "F" makes them go down rather quickly.

Also like to charge that whitish gun on the Wasp and Tigershark for a few seconds to make them die with one well-aimed volley.

Perhaps the poll should be changed because I feel the Raptor would have a crushing lead...

Comparing it to other fighters, really nothing matches up to the simple stopping power seen by its guns. My second favorite was perhaps the Broadsword with triple mass drivers. I always felt that they could cut through opponents easier than most other ships without using too much energy giving you a few extra salvos.

I never found any of the uberfighters gun combos that memorable. Granted the Excalibur Mk I made short work of enemies and the Dragon had overpowering weapons, but they didn't really leave as much of an impression as the Raptor did.
The Excalibur is my fav, followed by the Thunderbolt. You have to remember the game engine you are using. If ported into WC3 the Raptor would not stand up - but was great for it's time! Actually pretty good! ;)

Let's take a look!

Raptor (WC3 engine)
Loadout
  • 2 Mass Drivers (45 damage, 12 energy consumption, 0.3 refire delay, 1000kps velocity, 2 sec duration, range of 2000)
  • 2 Neutron Guns (52 damage, 30 energy consumption, 0.4 second refire delay, 1400kps velocity, 1.5 second duration, range of 2100)
  • Damage per salvo: 194 damage, 84 energy consumption
  • 2.31/1.0 dmg/energy use ratio
    • Quite respectable damage and excellent damage to energy use ratio actually!
    • but very short range with slow(ish) rate of fire and slow beam velocity!
    • would not want to go up against a skilled pilot in a light fighter with it; you would get picked apart at medium and long range without being able to close the gap

Last edited:
Excalibur (WC3 engine)

• 4 Tachyon Guns (70 damage, 40 energy consumption, 0.35 refire delay, 1600kps velocity, 2 sec duration, range of 3200)
  • 2 "Reaper" Cannon (35 damage, 35 energy consumption, 0.23 refire delay, 1800kps velocity, 2.5 sec duration, 4200 range)
  • Damage per salvo: 350 damage, 230 energy consumption
  • 1.52/1.0 dmg/energy use ratio
    • we all know how good the Ex is! :)
    • amazing burst damage!
    • rate of fire of the Reaper cannon is great
    • Maybe the devs intended you to use the reaper to knock out the shields and then destroy everything with full guns
    • guns are an energy hog!
    • solid range
@Bandit LOAF Did Tachyon Guns have a hidden bonus to Capital Ship shield damage in the WC3 engine?

Last edited:
Thunderbolt VII (WC3 engine)

• 2 Plasma Guns (67 damage, 44 energy consumption, 0.5 refire delay, 1200kps velocity, 2.5 sec duration, 3000 range)
  • 2 Photon Guns (32 damage, 30 energy consumption, 0.45 refire delay, 1800kps velocity, 2.5 sec duration, 4500 range)
  • 2 Meson (35 damage, 16 energy consumption, 0.4 refire delay, 1800 kps velocity, 2.5 sec duration, 4500 range)
  • Damage per salvo: 268 damage, 180 energy consumption
  • 1.49/1.0 dmg/energy use ratio
    • Photon Guns suck

Back