Best Weapon Combo

Best Gun Combo

• Total voters

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Best: I have two favorites that I prefer...
Rapier II Vega Configuration: 2 Lasers, 2 Neutron guns. That combo always kicked ass for me better then any!

But I have to say that my true favorite is the Vindi laser/tach combo in WC4. That seriously kicked ass.

I added the ones to the list that worked for me, feel free not to chose and post your own combo.

(You may notice I didn't comment on the Tbolts combo, while awesome, it drained the blaster way to quickly and often left me without a fire able weapon at a crucial moment.

I can't vote, I just spent hours playing WC1/SM1 and I have to agree with Dund, the Raptor's combo is the best out of the entire series. The ability to take out almost any fighter with one salvo in under 3 seconds is REAL power!

I can't vote, I just spent hours playing WC1/SM1 and I have to agree with Dund, the Raptor's combo is the best out of the entire series. The ability to take out almost any fighter with one salvo in under 3 seconds is REAL power!

My thoughts exactly. Even the uberfighters of later games simply don't match the stopping power of the Raptor.

Raptor, no question. The Rapier could fire as many salvos as the Raptor at full guns, but laser just don't have the punch that mass drivers do.
The Excalibur was decent, too, but I still prefer the Raptor.

For the lack of a Raptor option, I chose the Rapier II from WC2. I also like the Ion/Tachyon combination of the Panther.

Also, I think there are two mistakes: the Wasp has Tachyons and MDs, the Wraith Particle and Reaper.

Actually, the Wasp's Tachyon+MD in WCP is not bad as well.

You forgot the Raptor. Mass Drivers and Neutrons. Hands down my favorite.

Exactly this.
I actually prefer the Raptor over the Rapier. For me the Gun and Missile loadout is better and it can take substantially more punishment.
I remember using the WC editor to change my ship to a Rapier in the Gwenhyvar battle. You don't last 20 seconds.
The Rapier is good if you think you can avoid getting hit, but if there are huge numbers of Kilrathi and they have decent pilots, te Raptor seems a lot better.

(As I was going to say before I wound up not being able to connect to crius.net...)

I have to echo the Raptor comments.

On the other hand, any list of contenders for worst gun loadout would have to, IMO, include the Crossbow. 3 MDs and 2 Neutrons suck up juice like no tomorrow. If your aim isn't absolutely perfect or you're engaging better defended targets, the Crossbow has neither high cruise speed nor afterburners to chase targets, and engage them with rather short-ranged guns.

I voted for the Excalibur due to the auto-tracking guns. You do have to be conservative and do the best you can to make your shots count.

My vote's also for the Raptor's Neutrons and Mass Driver combo, but of course a lot of it also has to do with the platform from which you're firing. The Crossbow has similar guns, but the Raptor also had enough speed to bring its weapons to bear on just about any target.

The most scary thing about the Hhriss was knowing that it had the exact same set of teeth with three or four times the shields.

Perhaps the poll should be changed because I feel the Raptor would have a crushing lead...

Comparing it to other fighters, really nothing matches up to the simple stopping power seen by its guns. My second favorite was perhaps the Broadsword with triple mass drivers. I always felt that they could cut through opponents easier than most other ships without using too much energy giving you a few extra salvos.

I never found any of the uberfighters gun combos that memorable. Granted the Excalibur Mk I made short work of enemies and the Dragon had overpowering weapons, but they didn't really leave as much of an impression as the Raptor did.

I never found any of the uberfighters gun combos that memorable. Granted the Excalibur Mk I made short work of enemies and the Dragon had overpowering weapons, but they didn't really leave as much of an impression as the Raptor did.

The superfighters tended to have high drain weapons compared to their stopping power. While the Raptor could only fire three or four salvos at full power, the raw energy in each salvo was unmatched. Also, you had to be close to be effective (I usually wait Until I'm within 2000 klicks before I fire), so you had a better chance of hitting the target with every shot, which was enough to destroy almost any fighter.

Back