Battlestar Galactica, anyone?

Ironduke

Spaceman
Just played the demo of Sierra's Battlestar Galactica game, and what can I say: It felt like Arena on a diet. (And if anyone thought Arena's demo was meager, he should try the BSG demo. By the way, I couldn't stand that cutscene anymore after having to watch it the fourth time without being able to skip it. Arrrgh!)

Don't you think the similarities between those two games are quite striking? (Well, apart from the fact that they're both space shooters...) Galactica seems like an Arena clone with a little less variety to me - from fighter selection to game modes to pick-ups. It even features the barrel roll and some sort of Immelman turn as special maneuvers, accessible via the right stick.

I admit I expected more from BSG. While the graphics quality is nice (IMHO even better than Arena's), it just doesn't feel right. (It's like playing Test Drive Unlimited after playing Forza Motorsport 2, if you know what I mean. :D ) After playing that demo, I just had to start up Arena again. Hopefully other people will do the same, finally recognizing what great an arcade game Arena really is. ;)

The only thing I do miss in Arena is BSG's single-player campaign. Well, I'm still desperately hoping for an Arena expansion pack in the future (or at least any other DLC)... :rolleyes:

Well, I'm still desperately hoping for an Arena expansion pack in the future (or at least any other DLC)... :rolleyes:

They could call it Wing Commander: Special Mission!

(since they used every other combination of secret, special, mission and operations already)

The single player campaign was considered for Arena - they had a story and missions laid out and everything... it would have been pretty darned impressive.

I was going to avoid BSG because I don't like the show and am incredibly picky about what shows up on my GamerCard (he said, playing Yaris). The most interesting thing will be to see how the idiot-sphere reacts to this game, if it really is just Arena with less stuff (...and no original ship designs...).

Is it similar to Arena in that the game view is top down and the game is played on a horizontal axis? Or is there the opporunity for vertical movement beyond the barrel roll?

I just read the game detail page on xbox.com and noticed that the game supports 8 players on XBLA, as opposed to the 16 Arena supports. I also saw that it says there are 8 flyable craft, 4 colonial, 4 cylon, much less than the 24 offered by Arena.

My main problem with XBLA and my gamertag is that I am relatively new to it, having only joined a few months ago. Previously I had been just playing games I purchased offline. Unfortunately my ID that I used when I orginally bought my 360 was already in use so I could not use it as my gamertag, and many of the games I've played and the achievements are under that ID, not my live gamertag.

That was your first mistake.
Nobody's perfect, I guess. :p
Don't know about the BSG TV series that aired a few years ago (never watched it), but I certainly would have played the game if it had been any good. Unfortunately, "Project Sylpheed" was the same disappointment for me.

Is it similar to Arena in that the game view is top down and the game is played on a horizontal axis? Or is there the opporunity for vertical movement beyond the barrel roll?
Yes, exactly. And no, there ain't. ;)

Ok... You reported that this game was available for the PC? Or just Xbox Live Arcade?

If it's out for the PC, then please tell me how I am supposed to get it. Is it for Windows Live Arcade or something like that?

I don't even have Windows Live Arcade, so I'm not even sure where to start. However, if this game is out for the PC, it would be pretty promising to me.

For some reason Blair's inner monologue about sarcasm not being worth the effort from the Wing Commander IV novelization is playing loudly in my head.

The PC version of the Super Neon BSG arcade game is available from battlestargalacticagame.com... for twice what it costs on Xbox Live Arcade.

Wow, I just played the campaign for BSG and......I love it! I have enjoyed this game much more than the BSG game that came out for PS2 and the Xbox. The Graphics are well made, and the sound effects for the vipers and raiders are great. I always loved the howl sound the raiders all make as they fly past. And the music definently has the feel for the new show. Now to walmart and get a points card. Just in time for the new season to start as well.

Yes, because Irish dance music has a place in space war :p

More so than Richard Wagner? :p

I actually rather enjoyed the music in the miniseries. It was a nice departure from the muted, border-dramatic orchestral scores we've been getting for the last thirty years. I could see it getting grating after three seasons, though.

It's an artificial distinction, based on our current musical tastes - there's no particular reason Romantic orchestral fare is more suitable to accompany space than the piano was when Méliès made A Voyage to the Moon (and I can imagine a musician from hundreds of years ago strumming his lute or guitar to accompany a story he might have imagined about angelic battles - he might even have been Irish).

Arguing over which genre of music is most legitimate to accompany 'space war' is rather silly when we've barely even begun to explore space and haven't actually had one :p

It's an artificial distinction, based on our current musical tastes

Like I said, if I have to tell you why something with the word OPERA makes sense in conjunction to WAGNER, its lost on you.

Back