Babylon 5

I never got into Babylon 5 much. I didn't watch it enough to hate it though. But I know some of the other fans here are avid fans of B5.

I love B5. I can't wait for the Lost Tales to come out in a couple of months.

The Omega and Omega-X were two of my favorite ships of any scifi series. That rotating section just makes them look really cool.

I enjoy Babylon 5 when I'm actually watching it, but whenever I get some time and thought between the show and I then I get incredibly angry about it.

I love B5. I can't wait for the Lost Tales to come out in a couple of months.

The Omega and Omega-X were two of my favorite ships of any scifi series. That rotating section just makes them look really cool.

Indeed they were:D
Durandral, I already saw that topic, so I made this one, to discuss the show, where as that one seems to fcus a lot more on the newer stuff.
Loaf, why do you get angry about it?

I loved the show when it aired in Venezuela, but I lost track of it for years, until I found the first two seasons in DVD on my University earlier this year

I even liked "The Legend of the Rangers" and "Crusade"... too bad they didn’t made it :(

I'm looking for the other ones... :)

You can also get Seasons 1 - 4 on the XBL Marketplace which is pretty cool.

I never got into Crusade, it was a nice idea that I thought had bad execution.

Legend of Rangers is not a favorite, only the presence of G'Kar made it tolerable.

You can also get Seasons 1 - 4 on the XBL Marketplace which is pretty cool.

I never got into Crusade, it was a nice idea that I thought had bad execution.

Legend of Rangers is not a favorite, only the presence of G'Kar made it tolerable.

I agree, they could (and should) have been better... but, they ended up being pretty dull

I remember watching B5 many years ago when it was first shown in Russia. I just loved it. I think it's the best scifi series ever created.

One month ago I bought all B5 movies. Including the full DVD series collection featuring all 5 seasons + all Crusade series (which is 1 season actually) + all Movies + Legend of the Rangers (I hate this one, it really suxx) + B5 universe guide, which is a guide from canceled B5 space sim developed by Sierra.

I watched them all again and It was perfect. Even the CG looked pretty good comparing to nowadays. B5 is DA BEST!!!

If you didn't see it, I would strongly recommend to watch this series. 1st season is not that good, quite boring int he beginning, but if you made it through to season 2, that's where all fun begins, season 3 is a thrilling season, which will hook you on B5 forever, season 4 and season 5 are the ones that will be always remembered in your mind.

This quote describes B5 in the best way:
Unlike most television shows, this series was conceived as a novel, with a defined beginning, middle, and end. In addition, all tie-in novels, comic books, and short stories play a significant canonical part in the overall story. The show uses an arc-driven storytelling style now prevalent in both televised science fiction and in mainstream drama. In the DVD feature The Making of Babylon 5, Walter Koenig said, "It's an exciting uniquely different series that could forever change the way you look at science-fiction television," and referred to "groundbreaking special effects and new breathtaking achievements in makeup, sets and costumes."

Straczynski anticipated the rise of digital television, shooting the series in 16:9 format, rather than the normal 4:3 — six years before ER and many other dramas began doing the same thing. Babylon 5 also revolutionized the use of computer technology (using Amiga-based Video Toasters at first, and later Pentium and DEC Alpha-based systems)[4] in creating visual effects at a time when using models and miniatures was still the norm. It was also the first SF series to respect Newtonian physics in its space-battle sequences, with particular emphasis placed on the effects of inertia. More recent series such as Joss Whedon's Firefly and the Sci-Fi Channel version of Battlestar Galactica have also made similar efforts to simulate realistic physics.

Watch it guys, you won't regret it.

-Cyb

If you didn't see it, I would strongly recommend to watch this series. 1st season is not that good, quite boring int he beginning, but if you made it through to season 2, that's where all fun begins, season 3 is a thrilling season, which will hook you on B5 forever, season 4 and season 5 are the ones that will be always remembered in your mind.

-Cyb

I would disagree about Season 1. "Midnight on the Firing Line" is an episode that sets the pace for the show. It opens with a Narn attack on Ragesh 3 and the tension that ensues.

I have a friend who is not into scifi at all and he loved it. He actually borrowed all my old chinese bootleg B5 DVDs, don't worry I ended up buying the real ones not long after, and he still all of them.

Season 1 is interlaced with stories that lay things out for later eps. Some of the eps might seem odd on their own, but they have roles. "Infection" introduces organic tech, which becomes very, very important later on.

Season 1 is kind of like Freedom Flight, at first you are a little ehhhh about it, but the more times you watch it the more you respect it and realize how great it is.

The Season 2 finale is still one of my favorite episodes. I was so amped up to see what a Vorlon looked like the first time I saw it and was at first annoyed (I fairly young the first time I saw it) but as I watched it again later on, it is brilliant.

I recommend the series for anyone, not just SciFi fans. The fact that it does have a beginning, middle and end, makes for some great storytelling.

Hmm...I liked B5 very much when it came on television for the first time but since then I never watched it again. I feared that it wouldn't age well and I wanted to keep the good memory. Maybe I should give it a chance.

Nothing is as good as seeing it the first time when you are in the dark about all the plot twists and intertwined destinies. It has grown on me more and more, it was the first scifi show that I liked and became a real fan of. I wish I had caught it as it really started and could have followed it on Usenet, but I didn't get into it until TNT started reairing them and the TV movies.

Thought I would post this here instead of the other thread...

There are some Behind the Scenes movies up here. They are a little bit down the page, they are mostly about the cast getting back together and such.

Enjoy!

Edit: BTW the Bruce clip is classic Bruce. If anyone here has ever listened to the audio commentaries that are on the DVDs the best ones always have Bruce and Jerry. They are hilarious together.

I loved all of Babylon 5, but by far the worst series of the five was indeed the final one. Just didn't seem like real B5, didn't have that feeling the storyline had with the other four series.

Cheers,

Red Coat.

I loved all of Babylon 5, but by far the worst series of the five was indeed the final one. Just didn't seem like real B5, didn't have that feeling the storyline had with the other four series.

Cheers,

Red Coat.

I really liked the fifth season (or fifth series), although I will agree that 2,3, and 4 were better.
I do remember hearing somewhere (on one of the DVD sets interviews I think) that JMS had planned on Sheridan's rebellion against earth to continue on through much of the fifth season. He had intended for the forth season to end with Sheridan captured by Earthforce. But unfortunally they didn't know in time whether they were cancelled or if they got picked up for a fifth season. So JMS decided to finish up the war on earth arc then instead of risking ending the series on a cliffhanger.
Although it did make for some really exciting episodes at the end of season 4, I would have liked to have seen what the war had been like had he been able to draw it out like he had wanted. At the very least the fifth season would been more action packed.

I really liked the fifth season (or fifth series), although I will agree that 2,3, and 4 were better.
I do remember hearing somewhere (on one of the DVD sets interviews I think) that JMS had planned on Sheridan's rebellion against earth to continue on through much of the fifth season. He had intended for the forth season to end with Sheridan captured by Earthforce. But unfortunally they didn't know in time whether they were cancelled or if they got picked up for a fifth season. So JMS decided to finish up the war on earth arc then instead of risking ending the series on a cliffhanger.
Although it did make for some really exciting episodes at the end of season 4, I would have liked to have seen what the war had been like had he been able to draw it out like he had wanted. At the very least the fifth season would been more action packed.

Does he mean S-5 or Crusade?

He was talking about season 5 i thought. In the UK the call tv seasons: series. As in series one, series two where in the states its season one, season two.

Yeah, you're right. It's common language among the British Commonwealth nations as well, for example, Australia. Although the term 'Season' is sometimes used.

I really liked the fifth season (or fifth series), although I will agree that 2,3, and 4 were better

My favourite was, by far, three. It had enough of what made Babylon 5 great in the first place with brilliant new plot twists and ACTION! Haha. I can remember watching Sheridan 'die' for the first time, and not knowing whether he lived or not for months because I couldn't purchase Series/Season 4 on DVD, didn't have the cash! Didn't want to ruin it for myself by looking it up on the internet, so I waited patiently for a sudden cash flow. :p

It sounds very interesting, could have changed the whole story, probably would have been even better if it had gone that way. But I still enjoyed it either way.

I heard it didn't do so well in the United States? I know sci-fi fans in the UK and in Australia loved it, but I heard in the U.S. it was dwarfed by Star Trek in just about every manner.

Cheers,

Red Coat.

Back