audiobooks

poopnoodle

Rear Admiral
hey there all,

I've been forced to give up the ol' car and take public transportation (for 3 hours a day), and i discovered the wonderful world of audio books while trying to find ways to occupy the time, and i was wondering if that were any recordings floating around. i have read end run, fleet action, and I'm half way through false colors, but I'd rather listen to them on my mp3 player (the trolley is quite loud). if you could point me in the direction of purchasing or downloading them (if they exist), i would appreciate it very much.

-brad

I can't recall ever hearing of anyone making them into audiobooks.

I stumbled on one at the library of the town I lived in previous... but those tapes were restricted to the visually impaired. Still I knew the librarian and he let me borrow it... whoever did the voice did a really crappy job. I think it was fleet action.

I think poopnoodle's right. There's no commercially available WC audio recordings of the WC novels.

It might make a neat fan project though, but someone would have to go through and edit a whole book into a script for various fans to read off of. And the editing process would be a nightmare. Plus I'm not sure if the book company would like that...

They were stamped and copyrighted... so I doubt it.

This was likely a 'talking book' created by the Library of Congress' National Library Service for the Blind. Fleet Action isn't in their catalogue, but that's probably because the vast majority of casette books have been removed from circulation at this point.

(Interestingly, they do have braille copies of Heart of the Tiger and The Price of Freedom. That would be an interesting experience.)

It might make a neat fan project though, but someone would have to go through and edit a whole book into a script for various fans to read off of. And the editing process would be a nightmare. Plus I'm not sure if the book company would like that...

A single fan with a good audio editing suite could do it in the course of a couple of days, if they're a workaholic, or a month. It wouldn't be a major difficulty to pull off, the only thing keeping me from it is a Microphone and software. As for Baen, you never know, they may be open to allowing it, I mean so far is I know all of the original series is officially out of print, so they may not mind since it's unlikely they'll see much more revenue from series, and it never hurts to ask.

I would love to see these professionally done, particularly if they got Jim Dale to do them, that guy's brilliant at reading a book.:D

But, if it were me recording it, I'd record an MP3 for each chapter, which would keep it nice and orderly.

A single fan with a good audio editing suite could do it in the course of a couple of days, if they're a workaholic, or a month. It wouldn't be a major difficulty to pull off, the only thing keeping me from it is a Microphone and software. As for Baen, you never know, they may be open to allowing it, I mean so far is I know all of the original series is officially out of print, so they may not mind since it's unlikely they'll see much more revenue from series, and it never hurts to ask.

I would love to see these professionally done, particularly if they got Jim Dale to do them, that guy's brilliant at reading a book.:D

But, if it were me recording it, I'd record an MP3 for each chapter, which would keep it nice and orderly.

I didn't mean the editing would be particularly hard... just that you would have to keep track of all the different parts that would be submited by others and have to splice it all up... If it was unabbridged the final product would he many hours long with a zillion minor edits of a few seconds depending on the section of dialogue.

It would take a lot longer than one day... maybe a week for a workaholic. Of course if you have a single reader that would simplify things a hundredfold but I was thinking of something more complicated along the lines of having a different fan voice each character plus one for the narrator. Just to read the book would be pretty easy editingwise I agree.

It should be read entirely by Malcolm McDowell.

Interestingly, they do have braille copies of Heart of the Tiger and The Price of Freedom. That would be an interesting experience.

On a side note, the other day I saw a work pickup for a construction company or something. On the back of the tailgate it said "CAUTION STAY BACK", and then below that there were large raised braille dots stamped into the metal. I haven't laughed that hard at the expense of the handicapped in a long time.

I'm not even going to think of something clever to say here.

I was actually wondering when that was going to happen. As probably the ONLY person at all entertained in the least by Mcgruff's antics, I must admit I'll miss him... a little. But how come he's not a swabbie? Or did you guys stop doing that?

I was actually wondering when that was going to happen. As probably the ONLY person at all entertained in the least by Mcgruff's antics, I must admit I'll miss him... a little. But how come he's not a swabbie? Or did you guys stop doing that?

I think we've probably banned McGruff so many times over the years that the feature doesn't work right for him anymore.

This one is probably permanent, though.

I think we've probably banned McGruff so many times over the years that the feature doesn't work right for him anymore.

This one is probably permanent, though.

Partial shame. He WAS a Wing Commander fan. But I suppose its for the best... btw what happened to the Anime chick with the mop?

Back