ATTENTION: Episode 3 patch released!

Eder

Mr. Standoff
If you have installed Episode 3 before February 3rd, 2006, you have the pre-patch version and we strongly recommend you apply this patch!

If you hadn't installed Episode 3 yet, however, you don't have to worry about this patch. Both the Episode 3 installer and the Full installer available on our downloads page have now been replaced with patched versions, so they are all you need.

What follows is the full list of bug-fixes. The download and some new screenshots are available from our website.

- Fixed a bug that made certain missions crash when too few wingmen were available;
- Fixed a bug that prevented the player from returning to the flight deck after going back to the recroom;
- Fixed a bug that prevented the player from using autopilot to land, even when the AUTO light was on;
- Fixed a bug that occasionally made valid simulator scores be discarded;
- Added a permanent score display in the scoreboard-enabled simulator missions;
- Made military transports act as corvettes (corvettes use different radar colors and collision detection);
- Made the mines trigger on proximity instead of on collision;
- Fixed the mine 3D model so that it no longer has engine flares;
- Added a new cockpit mesh for the Ferret;
- Replaced the Tarsus with the Arrow in the simulator (this Arrow is based on the Armada version).

We've also taken a few measures to try to eliminate a crash that might happen at the start of a new wave in the gauntlets, as well as the infamous "mis-matched VDU" bug. However, we can't be sure we've managed to completely fix either of those bugs since they both were much more frequent on some systems than on others. We *hope* they've been fixed, but if you have any indication to the contrary, please contact us.

Hehe, yeah, you can definitely fly in circles around everyone... in fact, you have to, because with such lousy YPR, you can't possibly perform any tighter manoeuvres ;). Very impressive score, BTW - I was actually slightly worried that the Arrow wouldn't be able to keep up with the Epee, score-wise (since its armament makes quick kills pretty challenging), but I guess you settled that.

The new cockpit, BTW, is (hopefully) only temporary for the Arrow. We are still hoping to get all the remaining cockpits done by the time episode 5 is complete - though we can't promise it, since sim-ship cockpits are definitely not too high on Eder's list of priorities, obviously.

Puh

I can't renember that the arrow was such a Hell of a Ship.

I Love fast schips and these centret wepons...just great. My Run wasn't that good, I could have gained 1000 Points more if the 14 wave weren't just Gorthis and Jalkehi>:<

But I don't like it... one run and I beat my Epee score
4_9_7[1].gif

Damm now I have to train anf beat the Arrow in my Epee ^^

Oh I beat the Morningstar too? Funny ^^

But i wonder why the confederation later changed these great ship. The gibe it more wepons, but the speed...if the Arrow would have been so fast in WC§ ... ah I would have fly evry Mission in that thing...

Did I mention that I love fast ships?^^

Yes, excellent choice for a replacement.

And thanks for the team for ironing out all those bugs. I know it's tedious work, but as fans we sure appreciate the work you put in. :)

I love that the Arrow is not a ship that you have to worry about running out of AB fuel in. I love that the weapons make it a ship perfect only for a very patient artist. Is it really supposed to be able to take 2 DF missiles without dying, though?

Sternenwind said:
But i wonder why the confederation later changed these great ship. The gibe it more wepons, but the speed...if the Arrow would have been so fast in WC§ ... ah I would have fly evry Mission in that thing...

There's lots of different Arrows in Confed's arsenal for different roles. The Victory carried two different variants: a faster one for interception and a more heavily armed one for point defense. There were three different models in The Price of Freedom, including one that featured a cloaking device. The Armada Arrow was yet another version that specifically fit the special long range autonomous nature of its mission.

I guess the problem with getting score is the really difficult task of Chainkilling, to get all the bonus points (don't like chainkilling anyway, a pilot who can evade and survive long enough to kill everything deserve as much score as the quick killer).

In an Arrow you have to survive and kill. I got to wave 14 and "only" got 7400 point.
If I would get in an Epee, Morningstar or rapier to Wave 14 I would habe about 10 000 Points, because I would have much more quick kills.

In the Arrow it is just survive and kill.

I think it would be a Problem without quick kills. Bcause if anyone kill all 15 waves, than therewhere no chance to beat him anymore.

Chernikov said:
I love that the Arrow is not a ship that you have to worry about running out of AB fuel in. I love that the weapons make it a ship perfect only for a very patient artist. Is it really supposed to be able to take 2 DF missiles without dying, though?
The amount of damage a DF (or anything else) inflicts depends on the difficulty level, and on who's playing it (player-flown ships are magically better). The Arrow is certainly one of the lightest-armoured ships in the game, so I don't think its DF-handling ability is any better than that of any other ship - on nightmare, one DF would probably be enough.

(and against non-player-flown Arrows, one DF will always be enough)

Sternenwind said:
Well, let's put this into perspective, shall we? The WC3 Arrow has eight missiles, and four guns. It also has better YPR, and it has 16 missile decoys (though in Standoff, this would probably be reduced to 4 - we sorta assume our decoys are more like the WC2/Armada chaff pods than WC3 decoys). Its armour and shields are another matter - it's hard to say how much it would have after reduction from tungsten/plasteel/whatever to durasteel... but it would undoubtedly be a lot more than our Arrow. And 520kps is still not something to laugh at - it would still be the fastest ship in the game apart from the Wraith. All in all, it seems to me the WC3 Arrow would be superior to every other light fighter in the game, and would easily get scores as high as the Wraith (higher, given the Wraith's handicap).

In short - for combat, I can definitely see why Confed would prefer the WC3 variant. Like Chris says, though, Confed has different Arrows for different jobs. The WC3 Arrow doesn't actually replace the Armada Arrow - it just flies different missions.

Sternenwind said:
I think it would be a Problem without quick kills. Bcause if anyone kill all 15 waves, than therewhere no chance to beat him anymore.
Exactly. Sure, the quick kill bonuses are an unrealistic, game-like bonus that would have no place in real Confed pilot training... but we wanted the scoreboard to last longer than a week - and without the quick kill bonuses, everyone who finishes wave 15 would have the exact same score.

@Quatro

Okok I got it. I got it.
The Conferation love to rebuild their ships instad to create new ones ^^
Besides you are right. give me a fast ship with so centert Ion cannons and I will beat the Wraith easily. I think I could beat the Wraith in a Sartha if it had enough full and a speed about 500 kps ^^

And I love these ship with 800 kps. Give me a ship like these and I kill a complete all Kilrathi fighter a Carrier have ^^

*okay I have to admit, Gothis and Jalkehi are really hard to kill, but all the other a no Problem^^
Ah I forgot. at the confederation Run... Broadswords... You really got a Problem in an Arrow against them if you already used ypour dards^^*

Besides.
Why didn't you anythink to my score? You just praised Will_Styles Highscores but not mine *cry*
I even beat the Morningstar in the Arrow!!!!

^^

Sternenwind said:
Why didn't you anythink to my score? You just praised Will_Styles Highscores but not mine *cry*
I even beat the Morningstar in the Arrow!!!!
Hehe, I praised Will_Styles' score because he was the first to achieve such a high score in the Arrow - yours is even higher, but it came two hours too late :D.

And yeah, running into Broadswords is painful in the Arrow... which is fantastic, it really shows why Confed has medium fighters to go against enemy bombers. I remember there was a mission in SO2 where you flew in a Ferret (or maybe a Rapier) against Mandarin Broadswords... that was even more painful than here :p.

Quarto said:
Well, let's put this into perspective, shall we? .

Also I think origin just wanted to have some new ship designs for Wc3 :D

Wow..I just got done playing the Gauntlet with the Arrow. That ship's definitely an improvement over the Tarsus. Who needs firepower when you have almost a permanent AB? After a couple of runs, I was left with three thoughts:

- There's practically no chance to get quick-kills. The only two ways are to fire your Darts at the right time, or all your targets to 90+% damage and take them down. The latter tactic's dangerous, and practically impossible to perform after about Wave 6.
- If you run up against either the Broadsword, Gothri or Jalkehi, you're probably going to take some damage bringing them down by guns alone. After taking down three of them in Wave 12, I went from 2% to 75% damage, all from the tail guns because the pilot has to spend so much time back there, draining the gun capacitor and then some. Needless to say, I bought it at Wave 13.
- I had a lot more HS or IR missiles shot at me, but they practically never hit me. Evasive manuevers seem much more effective with the Arrow.

Anyway, great job. The scoretracker's a nice touch, too, and I haven't had the VDU bug or "new-wave" crash happen yet (It usually happened 1/10 of the time).

@Cardinal you got the right way.

I get my points always by killing the enemys to 90% and than all in a row^^
I wish I had an target comp it is hard to damage the enemy till they are red without a Display^^

the only way to get enough points with some quick kills, but like I said in an Arrow it is really difficult to kill the enemy with just 2 laserguns but the speed is more than enough, You can get easily to Wave 14, ecept you are unliky with 2 or more broadswords at once. The gorthi ans Jalthis aren't that toug with your speed you can attack them from below. I allways kill all the other ships before and than the slow ships by fire and run ^^

hey there,

the arrow is quite the fun little ship, good choice (it looks good in green). i was wondering, is the arrow supposed to be without the enemy damage display? this is also present in the talon, and i could have sworn that the talon had that display before. if this has been explained (or if there is nothing to explain), let me know; its just wierd not knowing how damaged the enemy is.

-brad

No, the enemy display should be there as far as I know. I just checked, however, and it is indeed absent - but only on 640x480 resolution. It must be some mistake that was made when creating this particular cockpit, I guess. I suppose the fact that this bug wasn't caught simply means that we need to try playing at 640x480 every once in a while :p.

Cardinal said:
I had a lot more HS or IR missiles shot at me, but they practically never hit me. Evasive manuevers seem much more effective with the Arrow..
Hehe, yeah. The Arrow is the one and only ship that remains wholly unaffected by the lack of chaff pods :).

dammm!!!!

I should have try to fly in an other resulution.. if the tarsus would have a target display i could have got some more pints *cry*

But than I should fly the Arrow again and make some more points, even if I do not belive that I can beat the wraith in an Arrow, The monring star or the epee will be the Ship that beats the Wraith^^

damm again

I tried to fly the arrow at 800*600
I can't handel t, it is all so small... I alwys did fly at 640*480 and I am used to it.

Back