Arena's Lost Lore (September 25, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!

Here's a document that sadly never saw the light of day: flavor text written for EA's official Wing Commander Arena website. Each of these paragraphs was to appear with a wallpaper of the ship in question as a "DID YOU KNOW?" fact. Each ship type had one 'in game' and one 'in universe' description and they were supposed to change from day to day. Unfortunately, the feature didn't go beyond one or two of the descriptions written. You can download the full set here.
When the Confederation's generals gathered in 2634 to observe the first YCF-131 Broadsword combat tests, they didn't expect much - no carrier based plane had ever damaged a ship of the line. Their fears were eradicated immediately when the prototype ("Sorcerer of Death", Tail No. CHR317) scored four simulated nuclear strikes against a captured Yan battlepod. The Broadsword was rushed into production and since earned its stripes in nearly seven decades of fighting Pilgrims, Kilrathi and Nephilim.

--
Original update published on September 25, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
That is almost identical to the story of when they demonstrated the potential of naval aviation before WWII. One aircraft sank a battleship hulk while the Admirals watched in shock. I love how EA/Origin echos real life. Its what gives WC's story such depth.

Were these descriptive paragraphs the ones that scrolled at the bottom of the screen when you were selecting your fighter?

"Sorcerer of Death." I like that almost as much as the fact an exact tail number is given. I think someone needs to bring this particular Broadsword to life in Flash White, or maybe in all prototype natural metal finish!

Were these descriptive paragraphs the ones that scrolled at the bottom of the screen when you were selecting your fighter?

I'm pretty sure they're different. And quite interesting - Paktahn means "Striking dagger"? And I don't think it has been stated before (but was theorized) that the Avenger is a shuttle conversion, or was it? Very cool, where did you get the texts from?

No, it's... the thing it says it was in the intro text. :)

Chris Reid and I actually wrote those in-game descriptive paragraphs, on the fly in Producer Sean Penney's office when we visited to take a look at the game.

Back