Arena's guns, missiles and ships

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
I was quite surprised when I saw that Arena is going to use the Privateer guns and not the WC3, 4 and P guns but I am very glad they did because I think the Privateer guns are some of the most balanced.
I was also suprised not to see the Particle cannon, although it appeared in almost every WC game but hey, I think it can cope with that. After all, it was the big star in WC 2.
And no Mass Drivers on Terran ships, that's something new as well. As there are no IR missiles carried by Kilrathi ships.

From the entry on the Arrow Eclipse: "The Eclipse, or Cloak Arrow, takes advantage of captured Kilrathi technology: a full spectrum cloaking device and a hardpoint of Vampire missiles."
Do I understand it correctly that Vampire missiles are Kilrathi technology as well?

And didn't we see cloaked mines in one of the videos?

The ships. I love making on-paper comparisons between ships. LOAF already pointed out that it's probably flawed to compare each level of fighters. And my paper comparisons seem not to match up with the MP reality.

It's even more baseless in that I haven't even played the game yet - maybe the stats are all different than in the manual. And of course, I can't weigh the advantages of the devices or missiles correctly - I treated them to be more or less equal in their usefulnes and weighed: "which ship has more devices".

Still, I did a ship comparison and came up with the result I expected: the Terran ships beat the Kilrathi ships 7 out of 9 times and the Kilrathi only manage to get two draws.
So, even with the technology sharing treaty, the Kilrathi seem incapable of buildung up to par crafts, especially in terms of shields: The least shielded Terran craft sports heavier shields than all Darkets and Dralthis. "Shield Power Cores" seem to be already calculated in the stats in the manuals. Though I am unsure about it - I didn't take that into consideration in the comparison, so if a ship has strong shields it gets a point and it gets a point for its power core.

(It's a bit like here but I came to different conclusions.)
Anyway, it's only for fun and maybe one of you wants to prove me wrong in this entirely theoretical and probably biased comparison (I am very protective of the Kilrathi):

Scout-Dragonfly:

YPR: Scout
Speed: Scout
Guns: Dragonfly (11 vs 3.6)
Missiles: draw ( normally I’d say that mines are worse than HS missiles but the Scout carries a lot of them and from the WCP-MP reports it seems that mines are not bad)
Protection: Scout (420 vs 350 and Scout has advantage of way better shields: 200 vs 80)
Devices: draw – even if the cloak outclasses the flares, the Scout still wins)

Winner: Scout

Eclipse-Raptor:

YPR: Eclipse (160 vs 90)
Speed: Eclipse
Guns: Raptor (17,2 vs 6,4)
Missiles: draw (Eclipse has Vampires but the Raptor has lots of HS)
Protection: Eclipse (500 vs 440)
Devices: draw

Winner: Eclipse

Guardian-Stalker:

YPR: Guardian (The Stalker is less manoeuvrable than the Rapier Blade)
Speed: Guardian (The Stalker is even slower on AB than the Rapier Blade)
Guns: Stalker (16 vs 7,4)
Missiles: Guardian (Raptor has got Vampires but Guardian has lots of IR and 20 DF more)
Protection: Guardian (650 vs 470 and the Stalker only has 80 shields)

Winner: Guardian

Striker-Blade

YPR: Blade (better than the Darket Stalker as well)
Speed: draw (the 5 kps more normal speed of the Striker just don’t make a difference, the AB speed is the same)
Guns: Blade (13.8 vs 8.8)
Missiles: Striker (Striker’s Vampires countered by the lots of HS missiles but mounts 20 DF more as well)
Protection: Blade (695 vs 555 – the Striker has less protection than the Arrow Guardian)

Winner: Blade

Shank-Vanguard

YPR: Vanguard
Speed: draw
Guns: Shank
Missiles: Shank
Protection: Vanguard (730 vs 580 – The Shank has less protection than the Arrow Guardian and very weak shields)

Winner: draw

Rhino-Cavalier

YPR: Cavalier
Speed: draw
Guns: Rhino (21,8 vs 14,4)
Missiles: Cavalier (twice as many DF and 20 IR vs 15 HS and the IR do more damage)
Protection: Cavalier (830 vs 750)
Devices: Rhino

Winner: Cavalier

Phantom-Executioner:

YPR: Phantom
Speed: Executioner (higher AB speed of the Executioner)
Guns: Executioner
Missiles: draw (1x4 Torpedoes vs. 2x5 HS)
Protection: Executioner
Devices: Executioner

Winner: Executioner

Tusk-Warpig:

YPR: Tusk
Speed: Warpig
Guns: Warpig
Missiles: draw (3x5 Mines vs 1x4 Torpedoes)
Protection: Tusk (I tend to consider it a draw, since the Tusk only has 10 cm better overall protection but the Warpig has the advantage of better shields)

Winner: draw (or Warpig, if protection is considered a draw)

Mauler-Behemoth:

YPR: Behemoth (which is more manoeuvrable than the Dralthi Rhino or Shank and Rapier Cavalier)
Speed: Behemoth
Guns: draw
Missiles: draw
Protection: Behemoth (1760 vs 1670)
Devices: Mauler

Winner: Behemoth

Back