Arena Music

Hobbie

Spaceman
Just thought I'd see what people are looking for in the new game. To me, one of the most enjoyable aspects of Wing Commander has always been the terrific sound. Do you guys want the old themes to come back in some form? Is new music the way to go?

Personally, I'd like to see some new takes on the old themes (if they could somehow work in the "scramble" theme I'd be ecstatic-- but my hopes aren't too high for this).

Maybe someone knows what direction they are going in with regard to the music?

Maybe someone knows what direction they are going in with regard to the music?

Chris answered this on #Wingnut last night. Apparently, the music (if its some of the music or all of it is unknown) is "remixed WC3".

(Its doubtful that music from the first WC game would be used, as I believe George "Fatman" Sanger actually owns the rights to that. Now, if only they'd get that soundtrack CD out - it's been about three years since they promised it...)

You should contact Fatman, see if he can get it out sooner in light of this recent turn of events.

Chris answered this on #Wingnut last night. Apparently, the music (if its some of the music or all of it is unknown) is "remixed WC3".

(Its doubtful that music from the first WC game would be used, as I believe George "Fatman" Sanger actually owns the rights to that. Now, if only they'd get that soundtrack CD out - it's been about three years since they promised it...)

This is a little off topic, but for The Kilrathi Saga did they just license the music from Sanger for Oldziey to remix (WC 1 and WC 2, I believe)? Maybe they could do that again?

You should contact Fatman, see if he can get it out sooner in light of this recent turn of events.

{Maniac}I'm on it!{/Maniac}

This is a little off topic, but for The Kilrathi Saga did they just license the music from Sanger for Oldziey to remix (WC 1 and WC 2, I believe)? Maybe they could do that again?

Thats a great question - and one I wish I could answer.

What happened was that "Fatman" (and Co.) was hired to write the score for the first game, which turned out to be a huge hit. When the second game came out, it was more "in house" and a new contract was drawn up - allowing "Fatman" (and Co.) to write the score but not keep it. (Oldziey was an "in house" composer for EA at the time he did his music)

Without seeing the contracts, I can only surmise there was some kind of stipulation allowing EA to use the music from WC1 with giving no or very little royalties to the original composer. There was probably some bizzare reuse fee, but I can't really say.

The music heard in the Videos are a little boring to me. There is no adrenaline-factor in it. They really should do some old WC-music-remixing here.

The music heard in the Videos are a little boring to me. There is no adrenaline-factor in it. They really should do some old WC-music-remixing here.

They already did. It's in the game.

The music stuff is complicated, but whatever the details are, don't forget that Wing Commander 1 was just rereleased with its original music a couple months ago.

Back