Arena For the PC?

The great thing about PC games though is that they are, by and large, cheaper than console games. Yes, consoles are cheaper than computers but over the course of a four or five year lifespan the extra $20-40 bucks that you pay for games kinda levels the playing field.

Plus, of course, PC players have the advantage of making their systems better whenever they choose.

The great thing about PC games though is that they are, by and large, cheaper than console games. Yes, consoles are cheaper than computers but over the course of a four or five year lifespan the extra $20-40 bucks that you pay for games kinda levels the playing field.

Plus, of course, PC players have the advantage of making their systems better whenever they choose.

Except that every upgrade defeats your "more expensive games" logic. Not only that, If I bought - say - a 1500 dollar PC, it's still going to take me nearly 100 games (or more) at ten dollars a game to make up the difference. I think that someone who just spent 5000 dollars on games can afford the extra 10 bucks for the 360 (or ps3) version. And there's no way I'd ever buy that many games in a year... possibly even before the next version of xbox comes out.

I like PC gaming and all actually, but this kind of logic just doesn't fly here.

No, that's just a BS internet rumor. Halo 2 PC and XBox versions are not compatibile/playable with each other.

Ah. The support must've been taken out after the matchups, and I can see full well why.... I did find that the movement was somewhat improved on the xbox for call of duty 4- the aiming I still would've preferred mouse. But if PC Gamer's matchup wasn't a hoax (my particular rumor, at least, wasn't internet-based; they must've created hopes before the official release), then it's clear why the players would've been segregated.

Ah. The support must've been taken out after the matchups, and I can see full well why.... I did find that the movement was somewhat improved on the xbox for call of duty 4- the aiming I still would've preferred mouse. But if PC Gamer's matchup wasn't a hoax (my particular rumor, at least, wasn't internet-based; they must've created hopes before the official release), then it's clear why the players would've been segregated.

You're thinking of the pre-release hype over Shaddowrun. (I've read the same reports). Halo 2 never had cross platform support. And even if it did, most of the Halo 2 players would have moved over to Halo 3 anyway. Plus, why would they bother for a xbox 180 game?

Hey, I don't know. All I remember was a PC gamer talking Halo 2- it couldn't have been shadowrun because they mocked the xbox-mag team for losing with hundreds of hours of playing time.

OK, I'm willing to accept that they were, in all likelihood, joking, however, by this point. Good to know that I really don't have a reason to grab Halo 2 PC....

I'm not going to badmouth Steam again. I had to do a clean install on my system and for shits and gigles installed Half Life 2. All the Steam games I had on my system came up...all of them! Not just the games I bought off steam but games I bought from the store and had on cd like Lost Planet were there. Just opened Steam and they were all back! All 31 of them! :D No re-entering cd keys or any of that fun stuff...just download and copy/paste game profiles I saved. :)

Got the Xboy up and running and went online...emty. I'll try to meet up with you guys this weekend for Arena. Lot of addons and stuff for Arena. Get them all or will that screw stuff up? Definitly gunna have to get a keyboard. Will a standard USB keyboard work or do I need the xbox board?
I'll send the 'copies' of Arena to LOAF soon as I get a chance and he can divvy them up or use them as a coaster:)

hugs and kisses

There's no physical version of Wing Commander Arena that you can 'send' me... it's a downloadable game - in order to own it you need to use your Xbox console/Live account to purchase it.

There's no physical version of Wing Commander Arena that you can 'send' me... it's a downloadable game - in order to own it you need to use your Xbox console/Live account to purchase it.

I suppose it's possible there's a promo code that could be used to download the game. Other than that, there's the demo on the oxm cover CD but you still need to purchase the game to get the full version. Anyone can download the demo free anyway so that isn't doing anyone any favors either.

Ok, was going to either mail or email 1600 Xbox Live points (redemtion code card #) and people could use the points to buy the game and the addons. Nothing cute. Nothing bad. Just an opertunity for other people to own WC Arena. Is that a bad offer?

As this thread seems to have (partly) devolved into a console versus PC debate, I thought I'd chime in.

The advantage a PC has over a console is the same it always has had, and is the reason why I have been a PC gamer for 18 years and a console gamer for only about 6.

PC's are more ubiquitous.

It's getting so PRACTICALLY every family has at least one computer in their house, because a computer is used for many things--e-mail, browsing the internet, word processing, numerical analysis, photo-management, video-editing, etc. etc. etc. Every member of the family finds a use for the computer. Among all those things, a computer can also play video games.

Whereas a console is for...playing video games. For the most part, that's it. Now, granted, some of the console manufacturers are trying to break out of this trend, and making hybrid devices that serve multi-functions (I got my first console, a PS2, because I needed a DVD player and it served as both that and a gaming platform, and I understand that the new consoles which I don't own allow limited internet browsing and possibly even photo- and mp3 management? Or is that not the case). Someday, the two technologies might converge and you might have a console that truly doubles as a low end computer. But currently, people buy a computer to satisfy many, many different functions, while they buy a console to play video games.

That's why I was a PC gamer from a young age...growing up, my parents did not believe in video games, and refused to let us (kids) get an Atari 2600--even though we were going to spend our own money on it...but they got a family computer, and I spent many happy hours playing many early video games on it...when Wing Commander came out, I even used my own money to get upgrades for it so I could have the full gaming experience.

But there remain many households that simply do not have consoles...either for cost or for parental belief reasons, or for other reasons. Whereas there are far fewer households that do not have computers.

Furthermore, the platform market is are less diverse for computers. With computers, probably 90% or so of people have Windows-based PC's, whereas for consoles, no single platform has that much market share. So if you want to release a console game, you either have to choose a single platform and live with a relatively small customer base, or you need to concurrently develop multiple versions of the same game.

Obviously, most low- to mid-range PC's can't run a game like Arena, or the high end FPS's. And that's fine...they tend to be marketed towards a very narrow sect of gamer with the highest end hardware (and usually several different platforms worth of the highest end hardware). But if a game developer can figure out how to release a good looking game with less stringent demands for a PC, then they can clean up, because EVERYONE can buy and play it.

The advantage a PC has over a console is the same it always has had, and is the reason why I have been a PC gamer for 18 years and a console gamer for only about 6.

This is very poor reasoning for claiming PC has a better market than a console.

In a short analogy, here's why: saying a PC in every home equals a gaming platform in every home is like saying a car in every driveway means everyone has a GT racecar.

The majority of the PC market is incapable of being converted into PC gamers. Your average computer is 5 or so years behind the latest gaming curve. You can't take your Crysis over to Joe Bluecollar's home and expect to get more than 10 FPS on minimum settings. Likewise, your average PC user is not a speed-addicted twitch freak. When they're done checking their e-mail for the latest family baby pictures, they turn off their computer and either go outside or they turn on the TV and watch their LOSTs and Survivors.

By contrast, every console is up to the gaming curve and every console owner is a gamer. For every 100 console sales there are 100 console gamers. For every 100 consoles, 100 of them are capable of playing all of the latest releases for its platform. I would be surprised if for every 100 PCs there's even 10 PC gamers with rigs capable of running all the latest games on the market.

The problem is that for whatever reason the hard truth is that PC gaming *is* in a decline. No amount of console versus PC argument changes the fact that the market for PC games has been reduced significantly in the last five years - and that developers are increasingly shying away from PC projects because they've lost a lot of money on them in recent years. It's not a harsh personal criticism (we are all, after all, fans of a wonderful PC game) -- it's just what's actually happening.

It sadly seams so from what we saw last year. On the other hand last year was the "console war" going on and many tried to get their share and influence in it. I see this also as a reason why PC gameing got very little attention.

On the other hand we now have ports comming up that look promissing and are even overworked compared to the console version.
Gears of War, Assassins Creed and Mass Effect are comming up my mind. These had good sale numbers as far as I know and now they are comming to the PC too.
So if that is setting a trend and the ports are realy good I won't mind when the PC dosn't get so much attention anymore but has a few high quality games that are worth their money.

So now I wait for the Arena port with cockpits and highres textures ^_^

how many other hands do you have?

The point is that they are 'coming to the PC too' a decade ago they would have come out for PC and come to 'consoles too'

I was just making a joke at the expense of your blanket terms; Just because a console can handle all of its games doesn't make it any good. (No, I'm not jabbing the current big three; I'm jabbing the obscure console I just pulled from wikipedia)

Back