Anybody else hates the Sabre?

Sonntag

Spaceman
I just started playing WCKS again (in fact I haven't postet here for several years :), nor did I play Wing Commander for years, but I love it more than ever), and arrived in the last mission of SO1 after winning WC1, SM, SM2, WC2... I play this mission where you are 4 people to take out 2 Frahlthas.

Man I hate this fucking Sabre!!! The gun positions are totally awful, it is impossible to hit anything with this POS.

I love the Epee, however, even though everybody else seems to hate it.

So, am I the only one who thinks the Sabre is the worst fighter Confed ever had (apart from the Hellcat, a true competitor for this title?)?

Michael

I do not *hate* any fighter. The one dislike I have for the epee is not have a whole lot of armor, the sabre for not having the best of speed. I still make the fur fly with both of them. I like both of the ships.

That mission in SO1 is hard. It has to be one of the most difficult mission in any Wing Commander game. I like the Sabre myself. The Epee has a cool design, but armor is a joke.

I think the Sabre has a really poor gun calibration. When you have a Raptor, you can hit your targets easily, the same applies for most of the fighters of WC2, as well...

The Sabre, however, reminds me of the Ion Cannons of a B-Wing fighter in X-Wing... On paper the firepower is great, but hitting anything is almost impossible. Also, the Sabre is a big target, it gets hit.

The Epee certainly is dangerous when you are hit, but it is like a Tie Fighter: Fast, nimble and deadly... I love it...

I don't know if I'm remembering this wrong, but on floppy version of wc2 the positions of the sabre's guns were different at some points. Like sometimes the mass drivers were almost in the same position as the particle cannons, and other times they were apart.

I don't particulary like the Sabre. However any bomber that features afterburners is a gods gift. Now if they would menage to give me 1-2 more torps insead of the remaining missilies the Sabre would rock for that mission.

Delance said:
That might be because it sucks.

No it dosn't it is the best light Attack ship ever. I love the Epee too^^

but to topic.

The saber is a very good ship. You have a Bomber which can load much torpedos and make an Attack.
If you want to judge a ship. You have to see what it shall do.
A saber is not a ship like the Excalibur or other heavy Fighters. It is a multifunctional Fighter for battel with other Fighter and Cap ships atttack.

Okay, I do not like to fly this Ship, but if I shall destroy a Cap ship, I like the Saber more than a broadsword or crossbow.

Sternenwind said:
No it dosn't it is the best light Attack ship ever. I love the Epee too^^

The Ferret is better. Those two mass drivers are much better than the particle guns of the Epee.

The saber is a very good ship. You have a Bomber which can load much torpedos and make an Attack.

A fighter bomber, indeed. It was not a superfighter, but it did the job well. It was somewhat vulnerable for its size.

Delance said:
The Ferret is better. Those two mass drivers are much better than the particle guns of the Epee.

A fighter bomber, indeed. It was not a superfighter, but it did the job well. It was somewhat vulnerable for its size.

The Epee could load Torpedos and had better Rocks,. The Firepoer of two partical guns is better than the Firepower of two mass driver. Okay in the wc2 engine your ship size isn't really help you. A big fighter is hit as easy as an syll one *look at the cap ships the aren't so much bigger than your own ship^^*

but In standoff for exampel you can see the true power of the epee.

But I liked the Epee in EC2 more than the Ferret, because you could kill a real bunch of Kilrathi in no time. In a ferret you have to fire a long time to kill with your Mass drivers.

A Ferret is a patrol fighter not a light attack ship. An Epee can kill even cap ships if you give it Torpedos, A ferret can't load torpedos :p

To the saber. It is right for a big ship like that it has really not much shieldpower^^

Particle Guns are far better then Mass Driver on such a fast ship like the Epee. And for Fighter vs. Fighter combat, centerline Cannone rule (because we can't set convergence).

To the Sabre, i wouldn't take it for Fighter duty, but for lighter Bombing run it's ok.

For any of you with WCA running on DOSbox, you can fly all the ship against any type of threat you want. It will clearly show that the ferret is far superior to the Epee in damage potential, and it's much harder to hit as well. In fact..almost any ship is better than that POS. The epee's shields are weak and regenerate slowly, and it's armament is not really impressive. THe ferret's shields recharge like lightning.

Secondly, let's not forget in our discussion of the sabre, that it has two variants: the stronger shielded one with slow recharge (76 at full charge), and the slightly weaker one with fast shield recharge. The fast shield recharge one is a much better ship (80 at full charge). And the sabre's 4 IR missiles are certainly hard to beat.

Try some sim runs in WCA with various combinations...or the gauntlet. Fly the epee, ferret, or sabre....see how long you last in each.

HAPPY FLYING

Sternenwind said:
The Epee could load Torpedos and had better Rocks

The Kilrathia asteroid ship had better rocks. And you never, ever fly an Epee with torpedoes on WC2.

Although we do know from WC2 that the Epee can carry them - in Tesla A, Angel nearly assigns Blair to take an Epee with a single torp to destroy a Kilrathi listening post, but instead swaps him into flying the morning patrol with Stingray.

To me, the Epee is much superior to the Ferret, even the Super Ferret (which does not mean I don't like the Ferret, it is a nice fighter, as well), because of a few things... The Epee has Particle Cannons, which I prefer over the Mass Drivers, it has two screens, it has more missiles, and it has ITTS. Deadly fighter, if used in a right way :)

But about the Sabre... On paper everything is great, but in all missions I had to fly it, I have problems with it. First of all, Kilrathi Fighter Turrets in WC2 are extremely dangerous. This isn't anything new, but with the Sabre it is very hard to avoid getting hit, while the gun calibration of the Sabre makes it hard to take out the enemy fast in this situation. Of course, the Rapier has also big trouble with the Turrets of Jalkehi and Grikaths, but it still handles better.

I don't know, but I didn't get killed as much in any games as I did when flying Sabre missions in WC2. Especially this last SO1 mission. Either my wingmen kill me, the Gothris do or the Frahlthras. I won it once some years ago, but it certainly is difficult, and I am sure I would win this mission easily, even in a Crossbow, which I don't find that bad...

I think all of us have at least gotten killed at least once by friendly fire on the last mission in SO1. Anyway the Sabre was an ok ship, Guns were good as was the missile payload, The shields on the otherhand while weak did recharge quickly, Armor however could have been a bit thicker though. The Epee was a flying deathtrap and everyone knows it. I'd take the Ferret anyday, Armor and shields were twice as strong and the Mass Drivers had a faster refire and rechage rate.

Gimme a Ferret with particle guns (maybe Lasers) and i rethink my statement, but Mass Drivers are no guns for fast ships.

Back