Any news on the rerelease of WC1?

Thanks. Hopefully, it is released soon. I really want to play again and cannot get my old WC1/WC2 disc to work under Dosbox on my own.

Have you tried the Tech Support forum?

Or the CIC Tech Support section?

You should be able to get some help in there to get them up and running.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I haven't. I just spent a few hours on it a few months back and the game with either too fast or way to slow.

I dont get the sense of a dos box rerelease version of wc1

anyone can use his dos box with the old wc 1 version ( or the kilrathi saga version), so what kind of need is there for the bioware version??

The EA rerelease version would be a "click-and-run" experience, much easier for regular people to set up. Of course, if you already own WC1 and have DOSbox running, the only thing you could expect from a EA may be a few extras bundled with the game, hopefully !

Thanks. Hopefully, it is released soon. I really want to play again and cannot get my old WC1/WC2 disc to work under Dosbox on my own.

You can already obtain and play the Kilrathi Saga version of WC1 from the CIC at https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/10285

I dont get the sense of a dos box rerelease version of wc1

anyone can use his dos box with the old wc 1 version ( or the kilrathi saga version), so what kind of need is there for the bioware version??

"Anyone can" is quite an exaggeration. To the majority of people here, DOSBox is still this scary alien device, so a one-click (DOSBox-based) installer is quite a big deal. And it's not just meant for us, we already have Wing Commander. The point would be that it would be quite a big official-type promotion of the game from EA to bajillions of people who don't yet have the game (whereas the CIC being allowed to host a specific version of WC1 makes the news at A Talent for War and some German webpage, Paul Barnett releasing WC1 in response to the series' 20the anniversary would make the rounds at GameSpot, IGN, Slashdot, Joystiq and the rest).

Bioware? I don't recall that. Or is that meant to refer to EA Mythic?

EA Mythic has gone through two name changes in the last two years. It reverted back to "Mythic Entertainment (an EA studio)" shortly after we left and more recently was renamed to "Bioware Mythic." https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/10222

Last edited by a moderator:
I can not wait for this, I'd like to think I'm pretty aux faix with configuring DOSbox to run old games, but I can't for the life of me ever seem to make WC2 play smoothly. I've only played one other pre-set DOSbox all-in-one - Sensible Soccer - and it really does make life easier.

Doesn't DOSbox require different config settings depending on the muscle of the computer it inhabits? It will be difficult to create a one-size-fits-all. What would be awesome is if the all-in-one launcher checked your system specs and adjusted DOSbox accordingly, probably impossible, so many variables that affect performance.

Doesn't DOSbox require different config settings depending on the muscle of the computer it inhabits? It will be difficult to create a one-size-fits-all. What would be awesome is if the all-in-one launcher checked your system specs and adjusted DOSbox accordingly, probably impossible, so many variables that affect performance.

That's actually what the newest builds of DOSBox try to do.

core=auto, cycles=auto in DOSBox 0.74 runs remarkably well on a wide range of systems.

That's actually what the newest builds of DOSBox try to do.

core=auto, cycles=auto in DOSBox 0.74 runs remarkably well on a wide range of systems.

Recently I've been trying WC1 with DOSBox 0.74 and the above settings.
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 processor but still
when there are many fighters I get slowdowns.
When there is only one fighter the game runs a bit too fast.

Is there an option in DOSBox to have one single cycle speed.
Even the fixed cycles settings have slowdows.
Then, increasing cycles leads to a too fast gameplay when there is less action.

I prefer playing the original releases instead of the Saga edition, as the sound and music are original.

Is there btw a solution to this problem, or do we have to wait some time
for an improved DOSBox emulation?

I remember playing this game on a 386 DX 33 and Pentium 60 but I don't know
for sure if there were those slowdowns or not.

Please confirm, if yes. Because then the emulation works as supposed.

The speed and feel of WC1 on a 386 is slightly different in DOSBox, because the feel of the game was different on every machine back then. It was not until Secret Missions 2 that the game got a built-in frame limiter to stabilize the playback on faster machines.

On a 386, slowdowns were a fact of life in many games. On a 486, many players had to go into their BIOS settings and turn down the speed or press a 'turbo' button on their case. In my experience, DOSBox has been fairly smooth. The auto cycle options in 0.74 are some of the most advanced I've seen, and I'm sure they'll continue to be improvedin subsequent releases.

It's a little like driving a manual transmission car, but you could also set the cycles to about 3000 and then manually press Control+F11/F12 during slow or busy scenes in the game.

Back