Another Wing Commander mention, "The Five Space Sims That Defined my Youth"

Kyle Maverick

Rear Admiral
Had a look and not seen anything about this posted yet. Mate of mine posted this to my wall on Facebook.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...ng-the-five-space-sims-that-defined-my-youth/

Wing Commander is the second game listed and the one that gets the most said about it. The writer mentions pretty much the whole series (I've only skimmed it so far so don't know if Prophecy, Academy and Privateer are mentioned), yet he counts Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: TIE Fighter as two separate games even though they are part of the same series. Ah well.

Chris Roberts, Star Citizen and Freelancer also get a brief mention at the start of the article

Well all of the Wing Commander games he mentioned had you flying as th same character, and fly for the same faction, at least in the beginning in the case of WC IV.

In the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games you were a different character in each game. While only X-Wing Alliance went into much detail of your character's story in the game both X-Wing's and TIE Fighter's paperwork included with the game and their official strategy guides went into a lot more detail on who you were playing as and what was happening to them outside the cockpit. In fact both the main characters of X-Wing and TIE Fighter showed up in Star Wars novels set decades after the games. In fact I never forgave the official strategy guides for the X=Wing collector's edition for not including any little story sequences set during the expansion packs

Yeah I caught that after I was able to read it fully. It's the problem with being at work when someone slaps something up like that.

Back