Anniversary Livestream Posted; Jump To Special Features (September 28, 2015)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The Cloud Imperium Games team has posted this weekend's amazing 25th Anniversary Livestream to Youtube in its full 9-hour glory. The recording was previously available on Twitch, but many find the Youtube interface more user friendly. There's also a helpful index below that shows where to jump to in order to see certain key segments of the show. One unlisted - but incredible - milestone occurs at 6:44:00 when LOAF takes on Kurasawa 2... and nails it on his first try! It's a textbook perfect execution of the mission to save the Ralari.

Hosts Ben Lesnick & Jared Huckaby (with Special Guests including creator CHRIS ROBERTS) as they play Wing Commander from beginning to end for it's 25th Anniversary, and learn about the history of the game in the process!
----------------------------------------?---------------
00:00:00 - Pre-Show
00:17:10 - Livestream Begins, Introduction and History
00:59:00 - Gameplay
01:13:00 - Interview with Denis Loubet, Artist for Wing Commander
01:38:30 - Gameplay
02:10:35 - Interview with Joe Garrity, Creator of the Origin Museum
02:31:25 - Gameplay
03:10:23 - Book, Manual, and Strategy Guide Retrospective
03:20:00 - Interview with Chris Reid of WCNews.com
03:40:00 - Chris Roberts, Creator of Wing Commander Arrives
04:00:15 - Chris Roberts Plays the Game for the First Time in 25 Years
04:13:00 - Gameplay
04:31:00 - Lunch Break
04:47:30 - Gameplay
06:21:30 - History of Ports to Other Systems
06:47:20 - Gameplay Through to the Finish

--
Original update published on September 28, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
it was cool seeing you on the livestream Chris. and Joe! It might've taken 4 days but I finally watched the whole thing. it is pretty fantastic.

I have still only watched parts of it but it is great fun...and it made me immediately want to play WC :).

Though I was a bit "shocked" how Chris Roberts played the game...not locking on targets, not switching to full guns immediately and not accelerating to full speed. Even LOAF seems not to accelerate above cruise speed. I always - except when in the Rapier or when fighting Jalthis or Grathas - accelerate to full speed.

hehe.. I accelerate to full in the slower ships.. but I always flew the rapier at half speed (in wc2 as well) too hard to get a bead on a target otherwise.

Though I was a bit "shocked" how Chris Roberts played the game...not locking on targets, not switching to full guns immediately and not accelerating to full speed. Even LOAF seems not to accelerate above cruise speed. I always - except when in the Rapier or when fighting Jalthis or Grathas - accelerate to full speed.
I haven't watched the video, so I don't know exactly how they played, but I can tell you that in situations like this, it's kind of automatic to avoid taking excessive risks. If you fly to the max, maybe you'll do really well most of the time - but then every once in a while, you'll afterburn into a Dralthi's tail or something, forcing you to replay the entire mission in front of your live audience. After a couple of times, people would start getting a bit bored.

I have still only watched parts of it but it is great fun...and it made me immediately want to play WC :).

Same, I went back and downloaded it off gog, I couldn't not play a mission or two before going to bed, even though we were all a little tired after 8 1/2 hours of streaming.

According to Chris, as you probably noticed, he hadn't played WC1 since finishing it, so remember that during all of that time, he'd made all the other games and some of the commands were unfamiliar to him after not having had to remember them in 25 years. On top of that, he's now 3 years running in developing Star Citizen every day, and the demands of that game really changed up the keyboard mappings from WC. Since I was there, I'll note a few things that were pretty telling - he hadn't forgotten you could do some things, but he had perhaps confused some of the commands that were available in later games but not in WC1, or slight variations in the control mappings.

For example he did lock a target. He forgot how to switch missiles - It's "W" in WC1 and WC2, but it's "M" in WC3 and WC4. I can say that just a two or three years ago, the last time I downloaded Privateer to play, I made the same mistake and it took me a few minutes to remember how to cycle those weapons. (Furthermore, in Star Citizen, in the default keyboard mapping, "W" means "increase throttle", giving him yet another reason not to associate that key with cycling munitions anymore). He also tried to hit "F" to activate full guns - again, something that was made available in WC3 and onward, but not around for WC1. That's one of the reasons he was on neutrons only for a while at the beginning.

You probably know offhand that "Tab" is the key for afterburners in every WC game, but in Star Citizen, boost is the Left Shift key; the Tab key is either the interactive mode switch or the flight mode cycle, depending on which of the default control layouts you're mapping to, so from the looks of it, Chris hit Left Shift a couple of times expecting an afterburner boost and not getting one. At least from my perspective, looking over his shoulder while he was playing, there were some things it seemed clear he was trying to do but was getting a little dissonance from the ship not doing what he was expecting it to do. (Perhaps if he'd been flying an Aegis Gladius or a Douglas Thunderbolt instead of a YF-44A Rapier, the ship would've seemed more cooperative!)

Playing is a little harder when part of your mindspace is occupied with remapping your own motor memory inputs in real time, and especially when your current mental control mapping is for a game with a different keyboard mapping, mixed in with more recent memories of more 'advanced' versions of the game you're presently playing ;) I wouldn't blame him for being a little confused at impromptu play, it's not like he sat down to practice WC1 before dropping by to visit the stream. Just something to keep in mind :)

Last edited:
I gotta say it was pretty cool to see you toasting away in the backdrop during the whole thing too. CIC representin' at CIG :D

I watched the first three hours last night while grading. Plan on watching the rest over the next few days. It was great to hear Dennis recall the old days and see Joe in his Origin Cave surrounded by so much great stuff! That Vampire model is pretty amazing! I'd love to have a WC3 Excalibur like that for my desk!

(...) I wouldn't blame him for being a little confused at impromptu play, it's not like he sat down to practice WC1 before dropping by to visit the stream. Just something to keep in mind :)

No, of course I don't really blame him. On the contrary, I think it's very cool that he participated. And of course you're right, later in the mission he did lock targets and he did switch to full guns. But I was baffled that he (and LOAF) didn't accelerate (not necessarily to full speed) - 250 kps just seems to make you too much of a sitting duck. Of course, they did use the afterburner.

I haven't watched the video, so I don't know exactly how they played, but I can tell you that in situations like this, it's kind of automatic to avoid taking excessive risks. If you fly to the max, maybe you'll do really well most of the time - but then every once in a while, you'll afterburn into a Dralthi's tail or something, forcing you to replay the entire mission in front of your live audience. After a couple of times, people would start getting a bit bored.

Oh, but they made heavy use of the afterburner :).

I gotta say it was pretty cool to see you toasting away in the backdrop during the whole thing too. CIC representin' at CIG :D

Yeah, it was so much fun, even just sitting in the back and helping to mind chat along with CIG's volunteer moderation crew of course :) Time willing, we hope to do another stream for the Secret Missions later this year; it's LOAF's call of course. If we do, hope you can join us again!

Although given how grueling SM1 is, at times, I wonder how far we'll get. I've offered to tag team with Ben if joystick cramp becomes an issue (Gwenhyvar, ugh), but after the Anniversary livestream I think it's pretty clear Ben's the one you should be betting on to beat the harder missions.

so long as he doesn't put up another endeavor in the process. :D that was so amazing. but yeah.. I'll be there if it happens

Yeah, it was so much fun, even just sitting in the back and helping to mind chat along with CIG's volunteer moderation crew of course :) Time willing, we hope to do another stream for the Secret Missions later this year; it's LOAF's call of course.

Have you considered using wcdx for this? I noticed that WC1 in the livestream was using the wrong aspect ratio; I really wish GOG would configure this correctly by default...

Just want to say what an awesome livestream you guys put out there, I really loved all the background trivia and merch, I thought I knew a fair amount about WC1 but you guys taught me a lot. Great flying by LOAF (when he didnt afterburn headfirst into things), was so cool to see Chris Roberts turn up and play some (even though he kinda sucked, understandably though). Wish I'd watched it live to get a chance at that last raffle, but still loved the whole thing.

Please please do Secret Missions in December!

Back