An update on the editor

Hi everyone!

Want to start off by again thanking everyone for their patience! Work has still been progressing, but there have been delays on my end because of classes/exams. I'm really happy with how things have been going, however. The editor is now working quite nicely for handling all importing, tweaking properties, creating shaders, and much more. Right now, I'm putting the editor to good use with the demo as now 99% of the demo is created from the editor (the rest being some of the demo-specific code for the navigation controls). Mind you the editor is still in a constant state of change and still has a ways to go before it's to the point we want it to be in, but it's definitely getting there. Anyways, here are some screenshots:

editor1.jpg

editor2.jpg

Hopefully my next update will be sooner! ;)

Take care,

Joel

Looks pretty good. I take it that screen is with lighting effects on? If so, you might need to boost the brightness a little bit...

Looking great. What is this editor able to do, and at some point would it be able to be released to allow fans to make Pioneer spinoffs/expansions?

Maj.Striker: Yeah, lighting is on. Howard said the same thing, so brightness will be increased. ;) Thanks!

BattleFate: Yes, we fully intend on releasing the editor so that people can build onto it and create expansions in the form of custom missions, models, new games modes, etc. Scripting will be available to aid in that. I may also release an SDK, but that will be much further down the road.

Also, just so that everyone is clear, the editor is completely cross-platform, so it will be available on Linux, MacOSX, and Windows.

Joel

looking very cool :) Is the editor just for importing objects/making stats or will this also go on to be used for designing the star systems you use too? I also confess to be interest if this will be released later to allow some "alterations" to the game? - I know you guys are putting a lot of effort into this, and so far, I'm more than impressed- Keep up the good work, and thanks for the update :D

That's very good news. I can imagine at some point someone pumping out the entire known confed and kilrathi universe (of course it won't be very detailed since that would probably take years, but it'd still be fun to trade all the way up to Kilrah, and then back to Sol (of course with a few stops to refuel in the mean time, but it's really not that many jumps).

Joel_VanEenwyk said:
BattleFate: Yes, we fully intend on releasing the editor so that people can build onto it and create expansions in the form of custom missions, models, new games modes, etc. Scripting will be available to aid in that. I may also release an SDK, but that will be much further down the road.

Are you going to release this editor before of after the Pioneer's final release? I bet some people would like to at least make some ship models maybe stations. Obviously -- you would be the final arbiters deciding what to use in Pioneer. That's just an idea how to somehow shorten the game preparation process and increase the variability of game's miscellaneous ship stock (like some bulk transports, science vessels and bases, maybe some civilian shuttles and liners - which might be cruising space from time to time). Let us know if you are going to do something like that.

All of the art content is being handled exclusively by me and howard, and the editor will be released after pioneer.

Back