Amiga & PC Wing Commander & Secret Missions Longplays

Thanks for this , I wish they had the A500 Version .

The reason I am here is that old Amiga with the 3 Wing Commander 1 floppy disks :)

Ah, the gorgeous CD³² version with 256 color graphics and the Amiga music. Too bad they never realized that CD Soundtrack, which Mark Knight actually still got credited for in the game. When listening to his Liberation II (CD³² as well) soundtrack I can only guess, that an Amiga CD³² Wing Commander CD Soundtrack would have been awesome.

I have all the Amiga music, so it is available somewhere, I can't remember where I got it from though.

I prefer the youtube set of videos (just for the narration):
Anti-Critic Let's Play WC CD32

This one is wonderful rendition of the CD-32 version tech wise... Cubex videos are always interisting regarding gameplay.

No matter what people say about the MT-32 music, the whole Amiga audio is the most organic one (soundtracks and sound).
Tthe music of the SEGA version isn't bad but it does not match the MT-32 or the Amiga one (regarding quality or the soundtracks itself) - I never understood why that had too sound so diferent, even considering Megadrive (Genesis) audio hardware limitations. And I'm afraid the audio speech is kinda cheesy (must have worked well at the time, but has'nt aged well)...

Damn, was just listening to the music track during the first mission. I'd forgotten how different the music is. I don't know why but the Amiga version gives me an adrenaline rush, listening to it now and when I played as a kid, which I have never felt on the PC.

Damn, was just listening to the music track during the first mission. I'd forgotten how different the music is. I don't know why but the Amiga version gives me an adrenaline rush, listening to it now and when I played as a kid, which I have never felt on the PC.

I guess you got the best underlining feeling description. In game you're totally immersed into it, and WC Amiga soundtrack really made some moments more intense (sometimes overly intense), you didn't need to constantly look onto the cockpit instruments - you knew when those shield were a goner and you had to do something next, just because of the music - it really helped the instinctive flying and dogfighting.
It wasn't just good music or sounding better. It felt right and part of the game, not just something added on later on...

By the way, what I mentioned earlier about the speech in the SEGA CD version only applies itself to the cut-scenes. In game speech is cool, and helps some immersion on the game. It's a shame about the music...

Back