Am I a geek or a techy.

Happy Camper

Spaceman
I have always thought of myself as a techy, but am often called a geek. However, those people are unaware of the difference between a geek and a nerd. At the moment I believe that geeks do have social lives, but mainly hang out with other geeks, whereas techies are people who are just as into technology as geeks, but hang out with non-geeks as well as geeks. Most of my friends are non geeks, and I tend to go out every day or two but I am very interested in various "geeky" subjects. Does this make me a geek or a techy? :confused:
 

Pedro

Admiral
When you try to define the distinction between the two it means its already too late for you.
 

upyr1

Spaceman
I don't know the dif but I am praying to find a girl who could be considered a geek queen....
 

Porthos

Crazy Nazi Kitten Impaler<BR><IMG SRC="images/rank
I think your very presence here confirms that you are a geek. :p
 

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Pedro is 100% correct. If you are trying to define the difference between a geek and a "techie" (which I would be willing to debate is a geek created term in itself but really that's aside from this whole discussion) then you are, in fact, a NERD as opposed to a geek. :) Look, so what if you are or are not considered a geek? The distinction between a geek and non geeks is not so clear anymore. I don't consider someone who is crazy about technology or obscure things a geek...I consider someone without human relations skills geeks. Doesn't mean being a geek is a bad thing either...
 

upyr1

Spaceman
Iwould difer on your defenition I use the term to mark some one with technical skills and intelsgence- a morron can lack social skills but a geek they are not. IMHO at times the eason some pepole just can't realte to other filks is that they do have itelects where they have been the smartist person in the room alot of the time time and it wasn't a special ed class for the mentaly retarted and are intertsted in talking tech scince and so forth.
 

Death

gh0d (Administrator)
Here's a radical notion: How about not worrying what label you fall under, and just be yourself, letting the chips fall where they may (so to speak)?

Nah, that'll never catch on.
 

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
upyr1 said:
Iwould difer on your defenition I use the term to mark some one with technical skills and intelsgence- a morron can lack social skills but a geek they are not. IMHO at times the eason some pepole just can't realte to other filks is that they do have itelects where they have been the smartist person in the room alot of the time time and it wasn't a special ed class for the mentaly retarted and are intertsted in talking tech scince and so forth.

Do you have to take retarded pills in the morning to type this bad or do you do it naturally?
 

cff

Kilk'dymga'qith laq Ik'vikvi
Death said:
Here's a radical notion: How about not worrying what label you fall under, and just be yourself, letting the chips fall where they may (so to speak)?

Amen to that. Why is it so important anyhow what labels others give you?
 

Jesus

Swabbie
Banned
I dunno about the importance of it, but I still don't know the difference between a geek and a nerd, but I've been called both of them, and I know that I don't like one of them...I'm just not sure which. :p

One I think of as a gamer(geek) who's into tech, and the other is into new information(nerd) and is always studying(pocket protector guys). Is that right?
 

Happy Camper

Spaceman
Maj.Striker said:
Pedro is 100% correct. If you are trying to define the difference between a geek and a "techie" (which I would be willing to debate is a geek created term in itself but really that's aside from this whole discussion) then you are, in fact, a NERD as opposed to a geek. :)
Actually, a nerd is a geek with very limited social skills, whereas geeks do have social lives. Still it's good to know that I'm a geek really :D . Which brings on another thought, is techy just another name for a geek that PR people use so as not to offend anyone?
 

upyr1

Spaceman
I would differ on the way Major Stiker defined things. first Morons could lack social skills and that by no means makes them a geek. This only means they are a moron Geeks by definition need to be intelligent, as pat of the stereotype is a person with such an IQ they have problems relating to the average person..As the subjects they speak about are things like science and technology. If the line is disappearing then it is because or society is becoming more technical, and computers are siting on every one's desk at work and on a desk at home. To me a Techieis simply any one working with technology especially some one with out a college degree.
 

McGruff

Banned
The classical definition of geek: A carnival performer who performs grotesque acts, such as biting the heads off of live chickens. The geek would usually perform in a "geek pit." This probably comes from the Scottish geck, meaning 'fool'.
 

Fruitcake

Spaceman
You're a geek when you think you are one, by the way, and who gives a flying? I'm a geek but my social life's fun anyhow.
 

criticalmass

Vice Admiral
McGruff said:
The classical definition of geek: A carnival performer who performs grotesque acts, such as biting the heads off of live chickens. The geek would usually perform in a "geek pit." This probably comes from the Scottish geck, meaning 'fool'.

This is exactly what I do for a living. Well, not quite literally, but in the business world version.
 
Top