Alpha Test Game 5

My two ships Violent Breeze and Talon supposedly need orders, yet there is no option too.
For now when this happens, just submit the blank orders. "One Day" this will be one of the few remaining bugs and I'll focus on it and ask you to point these situations out, but for now there are so many other things that either could go wrong or need coding... I'm not going to worry about false positives.

That said, if ever you think that the orders available to you are wrong or you aren't offered an order when you should be, that is immediately noteworthy. A blank order when a blank order is correct can for now be ignored and just submitted.

In this case, QuailPilot, I assume that a blank order does make sense?

Oh sorry wasn't clear, I meant that there was no orders button to press.

I logged in today and now there was. Oh well.

Apart from the Orders button still forcing my screen to focus on the left side of the map, Mako's info screen is messed up since turn 3. The text actually appears below the frame of the info screen...

A small tailing problem get!
So, I managed to successfuly tail Afterlife (the Jalkehi), and I put it's orders as speed 3 bank right. This came up:
Afterlife looks like they will bank right with speed 2.
Speed 2 is actually it's last used speed, not the input one, so could that be the source of the problem?

And I guess that banking still counts as forward course, right?

Apart from the Orders button still forcing my screen to focus on the left side of the map, Mako's info screen is messed up since turn 3. The text actually appears below the frame of the info screen...
This is the sort of feedback that ought to go in the browser development thread, I almost missed this.

Anyway, the auto-scrolling issue seems related to the jquery code and I have no clear solution or way to resolve that issue at the moment. For the text issue, it sounds like it's being pushed out of the box assigned to it. This really seems to be a browser/font-dependent issue - getting text to stay within a set box across multiple browsers/platforms is a tricky thing. I've attached an image of what I see in Firefox/Windows. A similar thing shows in Chromium/Windows.

Attachments

• 2011-10-30-Mako.png
    2011-10-30-Mako.png
    609.1 KB · Views: 175
Yeah, sorry about that, I was actually undecided where to post this... Now, seeing your screenshot, I'm noticing that your browser is using a serif font, while Chrome seems to be using sans serif (see attached screenshot). Judging from this, I'd say it's the ImRec line being too long (or the font size being too large compared to the yellow text)...
infoscr.jpg

A small tailing problem get!
So, I managed to successfuly tail Afterlife (the Jalkehi), and I put it's orders as speed 3 bank right. This came up:
Afterlife looks like they will bank right with speed 2.
Speed 2 is actually it's last used speed, not the input one, so could that be the source of the problem?

And I guess that banking still counts as forward course, right?
You've actually stumbled on something different. We had this debate about a year ago now, so my memory of the resolution is a bit fuzzy (but in theory we can find it somewhere on this forum). You're not allowed to accelerate while banking (Ironduke correct me if I'm wrong here). So all bank maneuvers will report current speed because that's how fast you'll go. I've checked the actual movement engine (as opposed to the tailing predictor) and it also agrees that it doesn't have an acceleration stage.

I thought I had updated/fixed the movement window such that when in 'bank' mode, you couldn't see the acceleration dropdown. Did you assume that by going to regular movement, changing the select box, and then going to bank you could change your speed? Was the speed dropdown still present when you selected 'bank'?

You're not allowed to accelerate while banking (Ironduke correct me if I'm wrong here). So all bank maneuvers will report current speed because that's how fast you'll go. I've checked the actual movement engine (as opposed to the tailing predictor) and it also agrees that it doesn't have an acceleration stage.
Actually, the game itself begs to differ:

Turn 3 MP report: Afterlife has moved forward with speed 2 and maintains forward course.
Turn 4 MP report: Afterlife banks right with speed 3.

Edit: Not to mention that the movement fits on the game screen.

Also I can't see the part of the rules where it forbids you to accelerate. (only thing that comes close is After that, place your ship in one of the adjacent hexes to the left or right side in front of it, without changing its heading. This will reduce your speed by 1 point. , which I think refers to the act of moving to the side so you don't move one hex too much (i.e. moving 6 hexes with speed 5 - 5 straight and 1 to the side))

I thought I had updated/fixed the movement window such that when in 'bank' mode, you couldn't see the acceleration dropdown. Did you assume that by going to regular movement, changing the select box, and then going to bank you could change your speed? Was the speed dropdown still present when you selected 'bank'?
So the answer is yes, I do see the dropdown in the bank mode.

Actually, the game itself begs to differ:

Turn 3 MP report: Afterlife has moved forward with speed 2 and maintains forward course.
Turn 4 MP report: Afterlife banks right with speed 3.
Hmm, actually I was not paying enough attention this morning when looking through the code. It does seem to let the speed acceleration happen, upon a second look. So at least that confirms what you saw.

Also I can't see the part of the rules where it forbids you to accelerate. (only thing that comes close is After that, place your ship in one of the adjacent hexes to the left or right side in front of it, without changing its heading. This will reduce your speed by 1 point. , which I think refers to the act of moving to the side so you don't move one hex too much (i.e. moving 6 hexes with speed 5 - 5 straight and 1 to the side))

So the answer is yes, I do see the dropdown in the bank mode.

I must have been thinking of some other issue we were having (unless ironduke chimes in and tells me to pull out the acceleration option).

I've updated the tailing widget to reflect the correct speed. As this is an on-the-fly generated message, you should be able to go back and check the one in question to see it now lists the correct banking speed.

I've updated the tailing widget to reflect the correct speed. As this is an on-the-fly generated message, you should be able to go back and check the one in question to see it now lists the correct banking speed.

Afterlife looks like they will bank right with speed 3.
Confirmed

I'm a bit late to the party, but yes, accelerating and banking at the same time is definitely allowed. Avacar, maybe you were remembering the "double banking" discussion? Not sure, but this problem seems to be solved now anyway. :)

I'm noticing that your browser is using a serif font, while Chrome seems to be using sans serif (see attached screenshot). Judging from this, I'd say it's the ImRec line being too long (or the font size being too large compared to the yellow text)...
Reply is in the browser thread, to avoid interference with the game discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Odin fires a friend-or-foe missile."

aaand... nothing? The missile was occupying the same hex as the launching Grikath when turn 4 EP started, but has since disappeared from the board with no messages. Bug, or am I missing something?

"Odin fires a friend-or-foe missile."

aaand... nothing? The missile was occupying the same hex as the launching Grikath when turn 4 EP started, but has since disappeared from the board with no messages. Bug, or am I missing something?
Aha! Something finally happening in Game 5!

So... the FF is still there. You'll see that it has flown straight forward. At the moment missiles don't announce boring movement in the field report. I suppose that should change as well. (Thoughts everyone on this point?)

Now the real question is, why didn't it go for that nice juicy Confed ship, Magna, that was right in range? No one has damage yet, so confed/kilrathi IFF's are all still working.

Answer: the missile thinks it is a confed missile. This is a bug I've been tackling over in Game 4. I thought I had this squashed, but clearly not. Although a Kilrathi spawned it, it somehow ended up as a Confed FF. (For now, you can tell the race affiliation of missiles by their background colour).

I have manually forced the Turn 5MP version of that missile back to Kilrathi (note the red) but you can still see it was blue when launched. I'll start looking into this bug.

edit: Okay, so before, I had fixed a bug where missiles weren't receiving race info from their pilots. Now I just found a bug which subsequently forgot to ever submit race info from a 'live' missile back into the database after processing. This, in turn, had the database default to a value of '0' on the race field... which represents Confed (Kilrathi is a 1). So all missiles would always turn confed after each turn. (Without this fix, the missile I just turned to Kilrathi would have gone back Confed during the movement-to-combat phase processing).

Fix is in place, and now we have an easy check: will it be kilrathi or confed during the combat phase? Only time will tell.

...wow, that's so far out that I missed it when I went to look for it. Misread the ranges on it, thought it had glitched out.

Goodbye, traitor missile. Hopefully your brethren will be more loyal. :(

Okay! Now we're in business! I see that the FF's launched seem to all maintain the correct allegiance so far. Also that FF from last turn has maintained its Kilrathi blood this time through the phase changes, so here's hoping we finally nailed that FF bug.

I mentioned this over in Game 4, but I'll mention this now here in Game 5 because it is even more important for this game:

You'll notice that the field reports are now, in combat, displaying a 'Needs to hit:' value. This is the number that you need to roll >= to hit the target. I want you guys to pay careful attention to this number and what you end up rolling, because this Game 5 is our first test of the pilot skills. Note that the 'Need to hit' takes into account:
  1. Speed (of both ships)
  2. Range
  3. Ship's natural 'TR' value
  4. Barrel Rolls
  5. Missile Guidance (if applicable)
  6. Probably other things I've forgotten but should be predictable from the manual
HOWEVER: the pilot skills are not factored into the 'Need to hit' number. Instead they are added to the dice rolls you see following. This means that both the opponent pilot and your pilot's skills modify the dice. In the case where two pilots of the same skill go head to head, your dice number, should therefore be just a 1d12 roll. In the case where the pilots have different skill levels, the dice roll is made, both are added, so watch for the value to be on-average shifted by the difference. This is going to be tough to ensure it is happening correctly, but watch for it! See if it seems to be working.

While we're at it though, try to add up some of the 'to-hit' values for yourselves, and make sure they should be coming out correctly.

Just so you know whenever I click to sign in after looking at my ships down the bottom right, it then reloads the map moving my view to the top left... but the login window appears where I was looking in the first place.

Edit: And I presume the fact the time counter shows "Last: {$days}d {$hours}h {$minutes}m {$seconds_since_action}s ago." is because we haven't had a turn under the new system?

Just so you know whenever I click to sign in after looking at my ships down the bottom right, it then reloads the map moving my view to the top left... but the login window appears where I was looking in the first place.
Repost this over in the interface thread. This is likely related to the same issues we're having over there.

Edit: And I presume the fact the time counter shows "Last: {$days}d {$hours}h {$minutes}m {$seconds_since_action}s ago." is because we haven't had a turn under the new system?

Oops. Fixed. Should immediately display correctly.

Avacar, seeing the display in Game 4...I've logged in today, but it's showing time since last login as "1d 1h 0m 2s ago", as of the last screen reload.

Back