Alpha Test Game 4

Yeah, I tried to login to do things, but I just get error finding pilot data in that phase. Have gone ahead and done my Turn 15 MP.

Yeah, I don't know what happened, but it somehow jumped to round 15.

Anyway, I did deal with the bug about pilot data; hopefully it won't come out in the future.

In theory, the hit info for missiles should be reported now, but that whole turn was a bit buggy so I'm not sure if we can really use that as a good test.

We should be ready to go for the next few phases though! Let's hope they work.

Getting this message when I go to look at "Intercepted Communications":

Fatal error: Class '' not found in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/load_game.php on line 39

...strike that, I only got it when I went to 15MP after trying to look at 14EP again. Reloading the page seems to have corrected the problem.

Okay...and my moves are in.

Getting this message when I go to look at "Intercepted Communications":

Fatal error: Class '' not found in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/load_game.php on line 39

...strike that, I only got it when I went to 15MP after trying to look at 14EP again. Reloading the page seems to have corrected the problem.

Okay...and my moves are in.

Oh, well that's not good. We haven't had a load_game error in a long time. If this becomes reproduceable let me know.

So to be clear, did you still have 14EP open in your browser and you tried to go forward, or did you browse in from scratch, and see both turn 15MP and 14EP and choose 14EP? The exact sequence of events may help me figure out what happened.

I went to the game site, saw 14EP and 15MP both as options, and clicked on 14EP. After checking the field report, I clicked on Intercepted Communications; that's when I got the error initially. I then navigated over to 15MP through the Turn Navigation controls, and the error message remained. I then closed the browser tab, reaccessed the game site, and selected 15MP directly. The game behaved normally at that point.

This morning, I tried the same sequence of events; I did not get the error message, so hopefully this was just a fluke.

Or perhaps you did it while I was debugging; I do my updates 'live' so sometimes you guys get to witness weirdness if you hit a page load at just the wrong instant.

Oh yes. I have had that before. I figured you were doing something at the time, since you said you were.
Keep letting me know guys, 'cause if it ever happens when I'm not doing debugging or work, it could actually mean there is a hard to find bug.

Turn 15CP:

Of course everyone fires at me instead :p

I haven't seen a turn yet that followed the statistical average; this one came close.
Exactly half of all the shots fired at Sierra1 hit. That's what you'd expect on a To Hit of 6+
Two shots hit Zeta1. At 8+ with ten shots fired, he should've been hit two more times...

Kinda curious to know if Zeta1's been given the opportunity to evade the incoming DF or not; it doesn't look like he is. He should still have burner at a minimum.

Kinda curious to know if Zeta1's been given the opportunity to evade the incoming DF or not; it doesn't look like he is. He should still have burner at a minimum.

Interesting point.

I forcefully told it to give Zeta 1 a chance to submit orders... with Zeta 1 back in the loop, it can generate a command interface. As admin I can see all your order windows (assuming you didn't submit yet) and Zeta 1 has a blank order window!

This means that:
  1. Zeta 1 is not given any end-phase actions, including evade.
  2. The combat phase processor correctly surmised that the end-phase would not allow an order (unlike the problem we had a few turns ago)
  3. Clearly there's something going on, however. Why was the DF allowed to be shot? Is it going after Zeta 1? If so, why is evasive action not being considered?
Another great question:
Why are some people yellow in intercepted communications (meaning they expect to be dependent on another person's move for tailing purposes) in the end-phase? Should only happen in main phase.

As a side note, I'm happy to see that the explosions finally cleaned themselves up.

I've locked out order submissions from working for now so that I can diagnose and debug this situation. Sadly I don't have time right now.... it may need to wait until Thursday if I can't find time tomorrow. The game will look okay but any submitted orders simply won't go in. Check back on this thread for when it is going to proceed.

Nope, no way for Zeta 1 to dodge the DF, although I've got 4 afterburner charges left. I've attached a screenshot of the orders window I'm getting for Zeta 1...

ep-orders.jpg

I've locked out order submissions from working for now so that I can diagnose and debug this situation. Sadly I don't have time right now.... it may need to wait until Thursday if I can't find time tomorrow. The game will look okay but any submitted orders simply won't go in. Check back on this thread for when it is going to proceed.
I've lifted the lockout.

Found three independent bugs, and (I think/hope) they are all fixed.

First, I did mess up the incoming missile detection algorithm so that it basically never thought there were ever any incoming missiles (a simple typo error). Easily fixed.

Second, I found another typo in the orders widget (that incoming transmissions tab) which might have caused non-ship owners to be unable to see when someone else's ship isn't submitting an order because they are waiting on tail information (aka the orange colour coding). Consequently, you guys, if you couldn't before, will now notice that one of the Zeta's and Bravo 1 are marked as needing tail information from someone else. This is clearly a problem, since this is the end phase and they should only be in that 'waiting' state during movement phase.....

.. leading into bug 3. I couldn't find where the "I'm tailing someone" state was being reset, so I made it a mandatory reset for all ships during the movement phase processing and cleanup. I could have manually removed the orange colour-coding from these two ships, but I've left them in as a trial. The colour code will persist through the next movement phase, and should vanish during the combat phase.

I had recently coded in missile-fired-by associations, but they seem to be mostly defaulting to null. It isn't critical to know who fired the missile except when it is a DF. I'll dig into that next, but it isn't a game-breaking bug.

Ironduke, we're waiting 100% on you now that I've unlocked the command windows again to actually function. Note that, as expected, Zeta 1 now has only evasive action as its recourse for avoiding the DF.

Well, I wouldn't want to keep you guys waiting, so... One more "bug" I noticed when browsing through Zeta 1's maneuver options: In the evasive action menu under "Regular Afterburn," there's still "Left" and "Right" as opposed to "Port" and "Starboard."
(Also, Bravo 1's "Orders" button was on the right hand side of the info screen again. We had that before, though.)

Well, I wouldn't want to keep you guys waiting, so... One more "bug" I noticed when browsing through Zeta 1's maneuver options: In the evasive action menu under "Regular Afterburn," there's still "Left" and "Right" as opposed to "Port" and "Starboard."

Fixed.

16CP: Well, you guys definitely did not move the way I would've expected you to...

Nobody's got a shot besides Dark Archon, and I definitely am not going to take it. So, since nobody's going to have to take evasive action (Sierra1 shouldn't be able to fire an IR at Bravo1 this turn because of the time-to-lock requirement), let's see if the game will skip straight to 17MP...

Hmm...game is giving a blank orders box. I know that's wrong; Zeta 1 did "not change their course during their Movement Phase (performing a straight or a Hard Brake maneuver)" (p. 8). He's in range of a DF; it's a long-range shot, but still valid. I wonder if the game is accounting for Zeta 2 being in the way of the shot in this case; by the same rule, Zeta 2 would not be a valid target. Doesn't matter; I wasn't going to take the shot anyway.

...and...

16EP. Forgot about tailing opportunities. Darn.

I wonder if the game is accounting for Zeta 2 being in the way of the shot in this case; by the same rule, Zeta 2 would not be a valid target.

I haven't coded in line-of-sight yet, only range and distance, so currently you can shoot through people.

Sadly, since you submitted the blank orders box, I can't diagnose the problem.

Coming back from another full weekend, I noticed that Zeta 2 should be able to use Opportunity Fire at Dark Archon. Instead, I'm getting a blank Orders menu. What's the deal with that?

Back