Alpha Test Game 4

I'm not sure if the window pop-up/disappear effects were ever fully polished, as it's a rather tricky thing to get just right. I remember there being issues with the fighter status windows early on, but I think it's in a reasonable working state at the moment, even if imperfect. Keep moving the mouse around to try to remove the pop-up windows for the time being - I think Avacar is focused on main development before doing polishing work like fixing the pop-up behaviour.

...although, on that note, I just had a thought. Why even have the pop-ups predicated on mouse hover events, anyway? Would it be easier (and cleaner) to have the status window pop up when you click on a fighter, and perhaps have a close button on the window when you're finished. That way, the behaviour is a lot easier to predict and control.

Just a thought. Keep it low priority for now, I think.

Pop-ups not disappearing? Hm, that might actually be new... Did you drag them around before? Which browser are you using?
If we're talking about the objects selection menu, however, that's a known bug. I think Avacar wanted to use radial menus somewhere down the road, but as Wedge said, it's a low priority issue as long as some of the game mechanics still need to be fleshed out.

Also, Game 4 seems to be down atm, throwing this error message:

"Fatal error: Call to undefined method ship::database_tail_target_update() in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/indicator_funcs.php on line 147"

The normal pop-ups sometimes don't clear, I just move the cursor back over the original and slowly off again and it clears. The main one had been the objects selection which due to the Sarthas and Epees hogging space just in front of me I'd run into a lot!

I'm using Firefox 3.6.13

For those that are tuning in now or recently new, I'll re-sumarize the way the pop-ups work:

1) If you mouse over a ship, its pop-up appears.
2) If you mouse over a pop-up and then mouse off it (speed won't matter) it disappears.
3) If things work "properly" the pop-ups should already be under your mouse when you make them appear, but this isn't always true, and causes some of the confusion.
4) You can click-and-drag the pop-ups wherever you want.
5) the 'multi-selector pop-up' is broken, and never disappears until you select something *new*. it also won't let you ever select the object it initiates on. I need to address this, but I haven't found a good replacement.

Ironduke: good catch on that error message. I think I know exactly what's causing it, and it is, *I think* an ignorable error message, although i'll fix it when I next have a chance.

As a UI experiment, I've made the pop-ups disappear as soon as you mouse off the indicators. We'll play a turn or two like this, and you guys can tell me if you prefer it.

Question to players: are the email reminders still being sporadic, or are you getting them on schedule finally? They're supposed to go out after each phase, as soon as the last player submits their order.

Errrr... what happend to Avenged Angel, it should actually fly RIGHT with 1 speed and now its disapeared, was it my error or what happend?

PS: I cant controll my third "single" Ship bc the popup just disables itself if im movin to orders.

Haha; I knew there was a reason why I had them stay on.

FYI: you can always order your ships by clicking their red/orange name in the 'intercepted communications' tab.

I'll revert the mouse-over pop-up immediately.... done.

Oh, for these changes, since they were to a .js file, there's a small chance you guys may need to clear cache or do a hard-reload (usually ctrl->reload icon) to force an update.

As for Avenging angel, the answer is here:
Avenged Angel takes evasive action. Avenged Angel successfully performs a shelton slide (6>=6). Avenged Angel has left the engagement zone.

So you ordered a shelton slide with a first turn of RIGHT 1 and a second turn of 2. This puts you outside the engagement zone. Had you made your first turn 2 and your second turn 1, it would have survived.

Question to players: are the email reminders still being sporadic, or are you getting them on schedule finally? They're supposed to go out after each phase, as soon as the last player submits their order.

I have been getting email notifications, I'm fairly sure they've been on time?

Good to know. I don't get them since I'm not a player, so there's no way for me to be sure. You should get one after each phase.

So I don't know what is up with Game 4. I checked, and all the ships were submitted, but the turn-evaluator thought that it still didn't need to process the turn. So I kicked it into process mode, and now it is acting really laggy. I don't have time to look into this right now, but if you guys notice it working or something, let me know.

I can't get any response from Game 4 either. The server itself seems responsive - maybe check if there's an infinite loop somewhere in the PHP or SQL code, when you have time to do so?

Very odd... I was able to check the game's status on Saturday, but now I can't even get into game 4 anymore. Did you change anything?

Code wise, no; this is a bug that's been around that we all didn't know about. At the moment, we don't even know what it is.

All games are still returning a blank page for me, after a long pause. Without access to the server controls, I can't say why.

This is on Phase 5, yes? Probably unrelated, but what browser are you using? I just retried and still can't get anything but a blank page after a long pause.

I can access the main page just fine, but as soon as I click on Game 4, Chrome is loading and loading and loading forever...

Back