Alpha Game 5 Pre-Start Announcement

Avacar

Vice Admiral
Hi Everyone,

As the system can easily handle multiple games at once, the main reason we aren't doing that is such that I may track the errors and bugs more closely. That said, Game 4 is starting to wind down; I'd give it 5-6 more turns at most.

As such, I'm using this thread to announce the 5th Alpha Test game. Unlike last time, I'll start a new thread when the game itself begins.

As always, anyone is welcome to play, but understand the following things:

1. The game is still in development. There are bugs.
  2. You are not obligated to help bug hunt, but it helps. That said, just being in the game helps!
  3. Don't make suggestions for improvement for now; only point out bugs and or cases where the behaviour is different than the manual.
  4. Be moderately aware of the progress of WCTOO, you can do this by reading through this forum!
Alpha Game 5 is going to focus on three things:
  1. The new 'Basic' Pilot Skill System
  2. Tailing (still very buggy)
  3. Missile Evasion (mostly good)
  4. EDIT: Large maps! (This will be our first map that takes a lot of scrolling to play)
That means I expect you guys to try to use the above features at every opportunity, even if that means tailing your wingmates. (If you're really dedicated to the cause, fire a missile at your wingmates!)

If I haven't chased you away yet, Welcome Tester!

To join Alpha Game 5, you must do the following things:
  1. Go to the Phase 5 Game Site and make an account if you don't already have one.
  2. Post here that you are going to play and declare your ship choices!
    1. Everyone gets 3 ships.
    2. Each ship must be from a different category: (light/medium/heavy fighter, bomber)
    3. You can mix confed/kilrathi ships, but realize the FF's IFF recognition is by race, not team. (In fact, teams don't exist)
    4. I will be "randomly" assigning a different skill level to each of your ships. Some of you will be stuck with a 'Green' ship, some with an Elite, and a lucky person is getting a 'Legendary' ship. The rest will be spread so that everyone will have at least one Regular/Vetaran.
    5. Post the Ship's Callsign and its Pilot's Name (this can be your username, but doesn't have to be).
No rush, but I expect this game to start in about 2 weeks.

Okies: I'll take a Sartha (Violent Breeze), Drakhri (Talon), and a Jalkehi (Sivar's Fist)

Oh and have Quail, QuailPilot, and QuailDude as the pilot names.

If I haven't annoyed y'all enough yet, I'd like to join in as well.

Let's see...I'll take a Rapier-II (Dead Meat, pilot A. Luzer), a Sabre (Zombie, pilot E. T. Yurbranz) and...oh......a Grikath (Washout, pilot Ded'kty nar Kat'fud). Why not...we need to some more IFF testing anyway, right?

EDIT: If nobody else takes a Broadsword by the time testing starts, I'll fly one instead of the Grikath. Callsign Target, pilot I.M. Sohded.

:p Any resentments against the Broadsword? Don't worry, I'll fly one... ;)

Rapier II (Tempest)
Sabre (Mako)
Broadsword (Harm's Way)

And inspite of capi's creative pilot names, I'll stick to my username.

:p Any resentments against the Broadsword? Don't worry, I'll fly one... ;)
Hey, I love the Broadsword...but in my experience, it's a lousy craft to try to dogfight with. Lack of 'burner is really a drag.

And inspite of capi's creative pilot names, I'll stick to my username.
Eh. Sometimes you've got to be creative...and pessimism surprisingly lends itself well to creative endeavors, IMHO. Humor too, of course.

Well with the Broadsword you play chicken with the lighter fighters. Force it to come head on to you. Then you blast it with the tri-mass drivers.

Heeeello. I think I might as well rejoin, after... well, forgeting about WCTO. Let's have fun. :D

I assume torpedo and flak mechanics aren't finished yet, so I can't choose a capital ship... Okay then, I'll take a Jalkehi (Afterlife, A nar Humungus), Drakhri (Boo'ya, B nar Humungus) and a Ferret (Cupcake, Notnar Humungus). Yes, my naming skills suck a lot.

Heeeello. I think I might as well rejoin, after... well, forgeting about WCTO. Let's have fun. :D

I assume torpedo and flak mechanics aren't finished yet, so I can't choose a capital ship... Okay then, I'll take a Jalkehi (Afterlife, A nar Humungus), Drakhri (Boo'ya, B nar Humungus) and a Ferret (Cupcake, Notnar Humungus). Yes, my naming skills suck a lot.

Torpedo's are done, if I recall correctly (I think we tested them a few games back) and so are phase shields, but flak is still out, so cap ships are out... The biggest problem with flaks actually isn't the coding of the flak mechanic itself, it is the coding of the user interface to select where they fire. That's the main reason I haven't coded flaks yet.

Welcome back Humungus!

Torpedo's are done, if I recall correctly (I think we tested them a few games back) and so are phase shields, but flak is still out, so cap ships are out... The biggest problem with flaks actually isn't the coding of the flak mechanic itself, it is the coding of the user interface to select where they fire. That's the main reason I haven't coded flaks yet.

Hm... And would there be a chance of a capital ship with disabled flak? Just to test it some more. That is if you don't mind, I understand that it's probably a different area in the code than you would test in a dogfight. (plus the inconviences with disabling the flak and stuff)

Hm... And would there be a chance of a capital ship with disabled flak? Just to test it some more. That is if you don't mind, I understand that it's probably a different area in the code than you would test in a dogfight. (plus the inconviences with disabling the flak and stuff)

Haha. The issue is that if I put in a Cap ship, you could go around using Anti-matter guns to shoot fighters out of the sky...since they dont know they are special yet.

As much as I'd love to say yes, for game 5 it is a no. I really need to isolate the tailing and point defense issues down, so all fighter-types for now. Very very likely, however, that Game 6 will have a cap ship, as that should be the next step. (It will hopefully also have asteroids).

Count me in!

Sartha (Feline, pilot: Khra'vak)
Epee (Magna, pilot: Will Bane)
Grikath (Glorious, pilot: Vandek'la)

My username in the sistem is wowskyguy

Cheers,

Count me in. Username Skanks.

I'll take an Epee, Rapier II & a Broadsword

Epee (Lima) - Pilot: Andrea Sloan
Rapier II (Mike) - Pilot: George Pollock
Broadsword (Bravo) - Pilot: Frank Ransom

This game is starting to get big! This will be a great stress test of the system, and will be appropriate for the large map!

An update on the Game 5 start:

Based on my personal schedule, (and how much of a pain it is to set up games when I don't have a level editor) I won't be getting to this until early next week.

If you are out there and considering joining game 5, I will stop accepting requests for involvement on Sunday Night (pick your own local time). Sometime Monday or Tuesday evening in my own timezone, I'll put together the game and get it started. (Game 4 will continue regardless until it is over).

Back