AI Enhancement Test Takes On Most Challenging WC Scene (September 21, 2021)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Techmaster has a new channel that's playing around with various video games and AI enhancement programs, and Wing Commander is ripe for fusion of the two. One of their first clips is an upscaled sample of Wing Commander 3, which is very challenging to enhance due to its vintage 1994 low-res, low-framerate & high compression footage. Kilrathi fur doesn't make it any easier either. I would say the thumbnail looks a bit better than the video in motion, but it's not a bad first effort. Overall, it's just good to see more people dabbling in this technology!

Crazy AI video upscaling 240p to 4k Wing Commander III PS1 game topaz veai + dain app

As you're probably familiar, ODVS has been spending considerable effort over the last couple years to perfect his own AI-enhanced upscaling efforts. Comparing the two, you can see the improvement that comes from all of this investment!

--
Original update published on September 21, 2021

Has anyone given any thought to enhancing the actual in-game assets? I found this mod for I-War 2, and it's kind of amazing how much detail you can get.

compare0lkv3.png

everything is well and good .. but how can you integrate the films into the game? as long as there is no fan-made patch similar to a Wing 4 DVD exe .. that's just a gimmick ...Unfortunately😞

everything is well and good .. but how can you integrate the films into the game? as long as there is no fan-made patch similar to a Wing 4 DVD exe .. that's just a gimmick ...Unfortunately😞

Well, it's a chicken and egg problem. Nobody is going to develop a patch to integrate high res movies if there are no high res movies. So someone (ODVS) had to be the first one to invest the time and effort somewhere. Now that we have high quality movies, there's some incentive to patching the game.

Also, people have already found novel uses for them, such as inserting the high quality videos in place of the low res one for YouTube playthroughs.

Back