A returning pilot :)

marcomads

Rear Admiral
Hi everyone,

i'm marcomads and i'm a "returning pilot".
I had the pleasure to play both WC1 and WC2 in the early 90's then i had to stop.
I came back again in the late 90's to play WCP (ans SO) but i never had the chance to fill the gap in between.
Now, thanks to GOG and to the "hype" generated by the new CR project (Star Citizen), i finally decided to play WC3 and WC4. And, of course, i found this wonderful website of yours with a very active community, lot of fan-projects etc.

I just installed WC3 and watched the intro and i feel myself both excited and confused. Confused because it seems like i missed something in the main plot between the end of WC2 (and SO1&2) and the beginning of WC3.
I left the story with the confederation winning in the Enigma Sector (WC2 and SO1) and the Mandarins defeated (SO2) while the Kilrathi mounted a major offensive in the Deneb Sector forcing the confederation to defend there (so the story said).
Now i find the Concordia destroyed in Vespus system (why? when?) Angel imprisoned on Kilrah (why she was there anyway?) and Tolwyn is again pissed off (what i did wrong this time? lol)

Will i discover everything during the game itself or there is something i've skipped somewhere in the story?

happy to be back on the flight roster anyway :)

Welcome! Always good to see a friendly ship!

The disconnect you notice has a few reasons. Storywise, between 2667 (end of SO2) and 2669 (WC3) some things happen. The Raid on Kilrah occurs in 2667 and sets back the Kilrathi war effort considerably. The Kilrathi sue for an armistice, but it's really a ploy to buy time so they can bring their Hakaga super carriers online for a drive to Sol. The "false armistice" last roughly a year until the Confederation discovers the treachery. The Confederation rushes to get forces in place to stop the Kilrathi assault. The result is the epic Battle of Earth where the Confederation is able to hang on through the use of a bold strategy. However, more than a dozen northern hemisphere cities were destroyed when Kilrathi cruisers launched anti-matter missiles at them.

WC3 begins several months later. Blair had taken a missile during the battle and had a multi-month long recovery. Concordia was on rearguard duties after having suffered several more torpedo strikes during the Battle of Earth. She was lost in a rearguard action over Vespus. The reason Angel is on Kilrah will be explained later, but she makes her way there onboard TCS Lexington from WC Armada. Tolwyn is well, Tolwyn. (Really it had to do with different teams for the projects)

The information above comes from the WC novels: End Run and Fleet Action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thanks! it's a lot of info i missed then :)
I just realized i have the Fleet Action novel in the GOG pack of WC3 so i'll definitely go to read it!

(the web-page about the Raid on Kilrah is really impressive in its detail!)

I agree - totally jealous that you are experiencing WC3 for the first time! I am a recent returnee myself, drawn in by the same thing you are.

Welcome! I wish I could go back and play the games for the first time again.

Yes it's the first time really :)

actually i've to say, after playing WCP and SO, that the game engine of WC3 is not as funny... but it's older so it's fine, i guess :)
Nevertheless it's very interesting to play for the story developing and the movie scenes in between missions!!

Well thanks! it's a lot of info i missed then :)
I just realized i have the Fleet Action novel in the GOG pack of WC3 so i'll definitely go to read it!

(the web-page about the Raid on Kilrah is really impressive in its detail!)

It's stuff the games don't mention, but the novels fill in. So, it's not hard to miss. You'll enjoy reading Fleet Action. It's been a wingnut favorite for a long time.

Thanks! Worked on that for one a while before I was ready to finally say done.

My first time playing WC3 I actually did a really dumb thing and skipped the credits. I just figured the game started with me talking to Hobbes and nothing else. The first time I went back and watched the opening I couldn't believe I'd done that to myself.

Back