A propostion: demo

Sphynx

Commodore
Hear me out, and feel free to reject my idea wholesale. I realize that the internet is not a democracy, but rather a dictatorship. So, I know I can't vote. But, I can make request and hope that the powers that be feel benevolent towards me.

I enjoyed your joke demo back on April 1 (those Kilrathi voices were over the top!), and I've been thinking about how I can't wait for this mod to come out. However, my desire for a real demo doesn't seem like sufficient reason for releasing one. I'm sure you have your reasons for not releasing a demo yet. However, I got to thinking, and I realized that there were other good reasons for a demo release than to satiate my desire for a fusion of WC and FS.

First of all, it would provide a much wider base for finding bugs and being able to discover which system specs run the mod well. Some people may need to save up to upgrade their machines in order to run the mod, and it would be a great courtesy to let them know beforehand that such an upgrade would be advisable.

Second, it would also help to generate fan feedback for fine tuning the actual product before its release. Nothing is more dissapointing than waiting for a game to come out, and then when you finally get it, it's fun is greatly diminished due to a multitude of bugs (this is what happened with my experience with X2: The Threat). Thus, it seems a demo release for the purpose of wider testing would be helpful for the quality of the real release.

Furthermore, a real demo might be a nice bone to throw to all of the people who have sent in voice files. So, what would be the odds of you guys having a softening of heart and releasing the first 2-3 missions, or even pick 2-3 of the completed missions at random and throw them in the demo, to satiate the hungry masses and provide fodder for useful feedback? We can all debate whether or not this is a good idea. However, I think it would serve both practical and asthetic purposes. I know you want to build up the excitement for this project. Honestly, having a demo on my machine that I could play over and over in my spare time would accomplish just that. Think it over. :D

Sincerely,

Sphynx

Hey man,

Yes, there is a full-blown demo in the works. Last time I checked, it's five missions, and we're almost done with the third. All I can say about it is that it combines a bit of a prologue with a bit of instruction and introduction to the engine and the game.

I think some things I have to say upfront is that not every ship/fighter in the full Saga release will be incorporated into the demo, nor will every music track. You'll only get a sample.

Also, found those voices amusing? Care to guess how many people worked on that voice talent? :)

A 5 mission demo is on the way? Ah, this news is good for the soul! Do you guys have an estimated release date on the demo? You know, I don't expect a demo to have everything. I think that all we want is a little taste to whet our appetites a bit more.

And, I'm guessing that there were only 1 or 2 people who did the voices for the joke demo, right? For a second, I thought I had downloaded somebody's odd idea of a virus, but I realised it was only a joke, and just had to laugh.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sphynx,

As a vocie actor, I've seen the script.

Trust me, Psych is not kidding. It looks good and I can't wait to play it (and find out how badly I do in comparison to my fellow voice actors).

Since I am unable to edit my post for some reason, I'm to clarify something here:

That's all I have said or am going to say on the subject.

I'm working on the demo as fast as I can :D

As Psych said, 3 of 5 missions are done, but the most problem with
the release are the voice-files.

@ To all voice-actors, be sure to make your files as quickly as possible. I will do the
same with the last 2 missions. :) But be aware that I'm forced to chance about
10 % of the voice-lines while making the mission , so you will have to redo some of
them. But I try keep this low.

As for a release-date, I cannot tell you a definite date yet, (and I don't want
to say : "When it's done !"), just let me say it will not take 6 month's
anymore.

Regards

Starman©

I'll keep my ears open, Starman. I can be reached by either PM's here, at HLP, or even Sectorgame if you want to.

Also, I can be IM'd if I'm online (see my profile).

Great news, and great work, Starman and Psych and everyone else. So... maybe I'm pressing my luck a little too much, but would you guys be willing to give us the tiniest of spoiler blurbs about the missions in the demo? For instance, would it be too much to divulge the player's homebase, the fighter piloted by the player, and some of the opposition that the player should expect to encounter? I understand that this may be more information than you are willing to divulge, and that is entirely your call.

So, let me ask one more timeline question, and than lay it to rest. Would you say it would be reasonable to expect a demo to be ready by the end of the summer? Now, I realize that a yes to this answer would not be a guarantee or promise of any kind. It would just help me so I can know when to try to schedule a little extra free time to try the demo out.

Once again, bravo everyone. You said you still need some voices for the demo. Are all of the parts full, or do you need anyone else to submit some lines? Well, enough. And I promise I won't ask for any more time estimates or spoiler blurbs (at least not for a little while :D ).

Sincerely,
Sphynx
"Even in our differences, we have our similarities."

Sphynx said:
I understand that this may be more information than you are willing to divulge, and that is entirely your call.

You got it, every other information is classified "TOP SECRET" :D

You have to be patient a little longer.

About the release-date, we cannot be sure to this point. Certainly the
missions will be ready in a few weeks, but there is much more involved.
Voice-Lines, a few model-issues, effects, a little bug-fixing and a good
beta-test to make sure all of you guys will not get into any trouble installing
and playing it.

We will announce it shortly (4 weeks or so) before the release.

About the voice-lines, certainly. Check the Voice-Over Tread and send Tolwyn
your samples. I have no overview if there are roles free anymore, but we will
still check out your samples.

C-Ya

there are free roles :)

Mainly because I am still waiting for more applications...

You are still reading this? Go recording :D

Starman,
I respect your decision, and I will be patient. I realize that this is more complicated than I know, and I don't want to put any undue pressure on you. After all, this is your labor of love. I like the idea that you will send us a warning about 4 weeks out. That will suit my needs quite well. Thank you.

Tolwyn,
I sent you all of the basic voice files that you requested. You had me ZIP them and then resend them. They included one of my attempts at replicating the Kilrathi voice effects from WC3. I think all of the files begin with the letters WC. You said you received them, and that they were good, but that's all the feedback that I received from you. If you would tell me what the lines are from the open roles, I could record them in the next 2-3 dats and send them in. Or, if my orignial audition isn't quite what you were looking for, you can tell me how you would like them modified and I will do so. I am really quite versatile, and can do several convincing voices. Please feel free to e-mail me any of this info.

Sphynx,
"Even in our differences, we have our similarities."

Lemme ask something: will there be any spots for beta-tester available? I'd be more than willing to apply :D

Back