A New Poll for a New Generation (November 21, 2020)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Since we've kicked off a new console generation this month, it's time for a new poll asking about your preferred platform for a new Wing Commander game. A lot has changed in just the couple years since we asked about mid generation options (Xbox One X/PS4 Pro). For starters, cross-platform play has become much more standard, so it's easy enough to buy the system you want and still play with your friends if they're on a different machine. It's also not uncommon for practically identical versions of a game to be made available for everything from PC to Switch to mobile OSes. We've also added cloud gaming services for the first time. We've grouped them all together since no single service is a major player, but they certainly kind of exist. This stands in stark contrast to promises for the last 15 years or so that such a thing could be viable. There's also been minimal change on the Nintendo side - as they've been the best selling system for the past two years running. Without further ado, here are the options! Pick which one you would like to next see Wing Commander on:

Our last poll was the annual CIC Birthday question that asked how long people have been visiting the site. Nearly a third came right around the year 2000. Another sizable chunk has been with us since the CIC grand opening - or earlier! And despite having so many old timers still around, nearly one in ten visitors is new o the site!

--
Original update published on November 21, 2020

This runs like a list of what I don't want it.
3DS/ mobile isn't upto the task
Input lag drives me insane; I won't touch cloud gaming with a 10ft barge poll
The XBox Series S/X controller is a crime. I would have at least have expected gyro (plus the thing for all intents and purposes doesn't exist here). But on the plus side it would all but guarantee a PC version.

Ideally PC, which far from dying is having some of a comeback lately... but that not being on the list makes it tempting to pick XBox because of the implication of PC.
Still I'll go with the PS5 because the new button tech sounds like it could provide some real good feedback

I'd definitely buy a switch port however, not so important during the pandemic which has turned me into a full time PC gamer, but the switch being portable it was the console I put the most hours into in the before time.

The system might also suggest the type of game too. Hypersimulators like DCS World on Windows are awesome but not what I'm looking for. I'd prefer something playable for short periods. That likely means iOS or Switch.

Ideally PC, which far from dying is having some of a comeback lately... but that not being on the list makes it tempting to pick XBox because of the implication of PC.
Still I'll go with the PS5 because the new button tech sounds like it could provide some real good feedback
If anything Squadrons has proven since it's release, it is that the enthousiasm for the combat space sim is still there, and with making the game crossplatform you have a solid player base.. Then again Wing Commander's(main games) in general promised great(and expensive to make) campaigns, I do not see them(EA) do something like that(a high budget triple-A title) in the wing commander franchise soon. After all, they already have the much more well-known star wars universe.

Yeah, where the heck is "PC"? I'd prefer it to be available for the PC, but oh well, I am not really yearning for a new / modern WC. The only thing I care for is "Wingleader" by Howie Day. *sigh*

Yeah, where the heck is "PC"? I'd prefer it to be available for the PC, but oh well, I am not really yearning for a new / modern WC. The only thing I care for is "Wingleader" by Howie Day. *sigh*

That's the whole point of this poll. As the WC series was predominantly a PC-franchise, if it was an option, obviously everyone would just vote for that and it would be a waste to even ask the question. We put this particular non-PC survey out every new console generation to make people think about where else the series might find a good home, since there have absolutely been a bunch of wonderful non-PC ports and games in the series. And the state of video gaming has changed drastically since the first time we asked this, and there's lots of great reasons in 2020 for players to prefer one of the new consoles, mobile or something else entirely now.

3DS/ mobile isn't upto the task

This is what I'm talking about... up to what task? Mobile devices today are enormously more powerful than any machine that any WC game was ever designed for. Platforms like iOS have native support for Xbox Controllers and other input devices now. But a new WC game doesn't even have to be traditional space sim that requires fancy controls. I usually play Armada with quick combat enabled. An Armada sequel would be absolutely exquisite on the iPad.

The XBox Series S/X controller is a crime. I would have at least have expected gyro (plus the thing for all intents and purposes doesn't exist here). But on the plus side it would all but guarantee a PC version.

I really haven't heard that? It seems to be one of the most popular input devices ever made, and it's been so refined over the past decade that there were very minimal tweaks needed this time around. Sure, you could do cool things with a gyro like the Wii/Switch remote, but I can't imagine the lack of a gyro dooming a particular input device or platform not designed for motion control. Now if you're saying we need a Wing Commander fitness/dancing game, then of course I'm totally on board.

This is what I'm talking about... up to what task? Mobile devices today are enormously more powerful than any machine that any WC game was ever designed for. Platforms like iOS have native support for Xbox Controllers and other input devices now. But a new WC game doesn't even have to be traditional space sim that requires fancy controls. I usually play Armada with quick combat enabled. An Armada sequel would be absolutely exquisite on the iPad.

I think it's important to note that all of following issues I'd quickly overlook *if* a mobile title wasn't the first thing we saw from the franchise in two decades.

Personally I'd not be interested in a revival that wasn't traditional space combat for two reasons; one 50% of the reason I love the series is the genre, and two it'd be dead on arrival with people complaining "it's not space combat!", and that'd dominate the narrative. If you're reviving an old franchise your first title out the door needs to get the people who remember it fondly onboard, many of them now write for gaming magazines. The last thing you want is the press of the Syndicate reboot (or Arena).
For controls I always look to the lowest common denominator as that's what developers will target. So no second stick on 3DS and touch controls on IOS.
Mobile is good at pushing polygons but they generally still use powervr style rendering; bad for transparency, bad for post process effects; that's really the worst case for wide open space but plenty of opportunities for fancy effects. And I'd say you need to target that sense people had when first playing the titles, rather than the reality of what they actually were.

I really haven't heard that? It seems to be one of the most popular input devices ever made, and it's been so refined over the past decade that there were very minimal tweaks needed this time around. Sure, you could do cool things with a gyro like the Wii/Switch remote, but I can't imagine the lack of a gyro dooming a particular input device or platform not designed for motion control. Now if you're saying we need a Wing Commander fitness/dancing game, then of course I'm totally on board.

It's fair to say that the layout of the 360 controller is popular; it was my favourite that generation. I wouldn't personally say it was since refined (I'll take the 360 triggers over later revisions) but the lack of gyro is a fairly common complaint among those who have gotten used to any of the competitor systems as it has become fairly standard for precision aiming. Googling now I see the same attitude on xbox forums, that gyro is only for gimmicks; personally I don't think that holds true, and again I'm fairly disconnected from XBox fandom.
The world discovered it with splatoon but I'd been using it since the vita uncharted. The PS has had a gyro in there since I the PS3, and whilst there were a lot of missteps trying to use it as the primary method of rotation using it for precision aiming on Sony platforms is just as common as Nintendo. I *really* miss it in a game like gears of war if forced to play with a gamepad. It wasn't so bad last generation; but it's become more of a default option over the past few years.
Gyro actually works really well for space combat with independent turrets; but as you say if the game is designed around not having it that's fine, although I'd love to see how the resistance tech could work. Disabled buttons when you've taken too much damage, and the closest you'll get to the old force feedback joysticks (could be terrible but I'd still like to try it).

Last edited:
Back