a little something i'm whipppin up in my spare time.

BradMick

Vice Admiral
yup. enjoy!

Brad Mick

tarsus_wip_01.jpg

Everyone else is probably still sleeping...(I'm at work). Looks fantastic!!! They're going to love your for sure. :)

Hello! Looks great, but I noticed a difference between yours and the original one: the box on the right side with the two pipes coming out is missing. Otherwise, it's really cool :) How many years of practice did it take for you to be able to do something like that?

hey guys, thanks. ive been modeling for about...oh, 7 years or so. still a lot to do yet, those details you mentioned diss being top on the list :)

i'll be doing all the switches, i need to rebuild hte actual cockpit enclosure and make it a solid model. it's kind of a mess right now. i dont like messes :( i'll have some updates later on tonight :)

Brad Mick

So, if we get 3D cockpits (not 2D screenshots of 3D cockpits), will we be able to pan around in them. Can the vegastrike engine handle the locations of cockpit displays changing in realtime?

What if the transitions of cockpit view changes were pre-rendered from the 3D model so that it would be a simple movie-animation with the active panorama in the background, its viewpoint turning at a speed that matches the turning speed of cockpit-animation-turning?

the cockpit displays stuff will need to be revamped...but there's never been a need
it's possible in theory, just hasn't been needed yet cus no one's made a half-decent cockpit or anything

yep :)
and it will come in stages...
for instance: the cockpit will be locked if you choose the small font or have view mode on...but if you choose the vector font (times) then the VDU's will move around, etc. Of course I'm going to need a copy of the finished cockpit to be motivated enough to start writing code...but it won't take me very long to get something working in engine :) once I do

Diss said:
What if the transitions of cockpit view changes were pre-rendered from the 3D model so that it would be a simple movie-animation with the active panorama in the background, its viewpoint turning at a speed that matches the turning speed of cockpit-animation-turning?
In a true 3D cockpit we need to be able to look wherever we want. Pre-renders wouldn't provide that functionality.

you're talking about a cockpit like in IL2 Sturmovik or Lock on: Modern Air Combat. with real time updating displays right? if so, that'd be a good place to look daniel.

and i'm now home from school, so i aim to finish this model tonight :)

Brad Mick

Exactly - a 3D cockpit like you'd find in a true flight simulator (as oppossed to space simulator). I am primarily a flight simmer, which is why I care about these things. :)

alrighty, nearly there. chairs, door, and some smaller pipes and the console switches is all thas left.

tarsus_wip_03.jpg

oh, and before you say 'there are missing polys!'. that's done for a reason. all faces which are not visible, have been deleted. no need for them to be there. waste of polys. and with that, enjoy!

Brad Mick

Back