A Great Big Thank you!

NinjaLA

Alex Von T.
Thanks to everyone at the CIC who put in the time and effort to restore more than a decade of files from Origin Systems!!

I can't stress how much this means to all of us.

thankyou.jpg

Let me offer some thanks of my own.

First and foremost, to CIC staffers Chris Reid and Asher "Frosty" Lawson. I could not have asked for better right hand men on this project or on any other. Chris and Frosty were absolutely indispensable and they truly bled Wing Commander. Very few people would give up their vacations and ten days of their lives to come sleep on floors with me and spend their money hand over fist in order to work like dogs for twelve hours straight each day... but these two did so happily. The best part of the whole experience for me was spending time with them - whether it was buying supplies at Target or tooling around the computer junk shop or rushing through fast food burgers in order to get back to work as quickly as possible... I hope we can do it again real soon.

Joe Garrity and Dan Chisarick were invaluable, too. They were each on site for two days and they bore a lot of the brunt of setting up and establishing our processes. Dan was a consumate professional with computer expertise that far outstripped anyone else on the team - I hadn't known him before this and was admittably nervous when Joe brought him aboard... but he did a great job and we really couldn't have done it without him.

Most of you know Joe - he's a good and absolutely selfless guy. He let us spend the night in the Origin Museum and he did a great job of organizing the collection and ripping CDs. Without his van we wouldn't have even been able to get to Mythic! Even when he wasn't on-site (lighting destroyed a tree at his house and called him away!) he was saving the day... he provided a heck of a lot of equipment, including the feeder scanner that absolutely saved the day where documents were concerned. (Of course, no thanks to Joe is complete without thanks to the rest of his family - Paula, thank you for letting us interrupt your routine.)

My sister Charlotte, who spent three days with us ripping CDs, labeling VHS tapes and scanning Crusader scripts. She didn't grow up with these games, she didn't know what they meant... but she was willing to help us out when we needed it. I'm incredibly grateful for that.

My friend John came for a day and helped us out with scanning when we were in need of help. ace and blonde also stopped by on Friday and were responsible for getting us out at the end of the project. I'm sorry that they missed the show, as seeing Frosty recording three VHS conversions at once was probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Of course, everyone at Mythic. Paul Barnett is the man responsible for letting us in in the first place -- without his interest and vision and so forth this collection would be some cell phone photos of Thrakhath's head and nothing more. Chris Weakley, Mythic's office manager, was the guy who actually had to put up with us -- and he was a kind and helpful person who treated us like honest professionals. The material is in good hands. Thanks also to Renee and another gentleman who's name I didn't catch who did things like deliver the materials in the first place and kept us in coffee and internet access. I can't believe the level of commitment that EA was willing to put into this project, nor the level of trust they were willing to give to us.

Thanks to KrisV, PopsiclePete and Dundradal for donating equipment. Kris' cleaning tapes, Pete's SCSI cards and Dund's SyQuest equipment all saved the day at one point or another. Then there's everyone who helped online -- we had dozens and dozens of people who offered suggestions about the strange drives, the processes and everything. I can't list them all here, but it was much appreciated. Also everyone in the industry... we had great support from xOriginites everywhere on this one. It's fantastic that they're still dedicated to this history and I hope we get to share it with them all soon. Next stop NCSoft?

Finally, thanks to all of you for your interest. Rest assured that you're going to start seeing some cool stuff!

Yay! I'm really strapped for time these days, but I have been following progress as best I can. A big thank you to everyone involved!

Back