We're very excited about Electronic Arts' impending "Origin" announcement (especially if it offers access to classic Wing Commander games)... but we can't let the crazy name go without a friendly ribbing. Without further ado, Combat Information Center Comedy Classics presents THE TOP TEN REASONS ELECTRONIC ARTS NAMED THEIR NEW SERVICE ORIGIN:
10. Somewhat hard of hearing. OSI's slogan was 'Re-Create Words', right?
9. The Bullfrog Social Digital Distribution Service just sounds dumb.
8. Just good business sense to have your new branding initiative also serve as a constant reminder of your most terrible mistake.
7. Saved $20 by not having to buy a new domain name.
6. Thousands of pre-printed OSI travel mugs and Christmas ornaments have just been taking up space since 2003.
5. Actually stands for Online Reactive Interactive Gaming Information Network, had no idea they ever owned a company by the same name.
4. Millions of dollars spent on 'Ultima Worlds Online: Origin' were really to test max tolerance level for stupid places to use the name.
3. Because up yours, Lord British, that's why.
2. Always loved Origin name but was never happy about funding truly innovative, beloved game development.
1. Wanted to honor the grand legacy and tradition behind--haha, no, it's money.