Wing Commander Standoff: Episode Five Released (August 11, 2009)

It's a disease. You can't cure it, man. I am tired, I really am - I also know that in a few weeks, I'll be missing it. And, there's all those ideas...

But, let's be clear about one thing - there will absolutely never, ever be a Standoff sequel. Bradshaw's story ends at the Battle of Terra - I'm sure he did many exciting things in the remaining months of the war, maybe he even survived to do less exciting things after the war... but we don't need to know about them. There are other stories to tell out there.

First we have a post-mortem to do. :p

In other news, I got the Finnish gaming media covered by getting my news tip published on www.pelit.fi

How about you do the same for your countries? Let's spread the word and revive Wing Commander to the public eye, too!

In other news, I got the Finnish gaming media covered by getting my news tip published on www.pelit.fi

How about you do the same for your countries? Let's spread the word and revive Wing Commander to the public eye, too!

It's a good idea, but I think it would be better to wait until they fix the memory crash bug.

http://www.tweakers.net had already covered the story on EA re-registering the trademark, and the name WC already stirred some attention, ofcourse i did point those guys to this site.

Good. What was a bit disappointing that I saw a poll on gamefaqs about which classic EA title should receive a sequel, and when I checked, Wing Commander had less than seven percent of the votes. Road Rash (why?) was the winner, followed by System Shock (the more obvious choice). OTOH, Road Rash prevailing over SS shows what type of people frequent gamefaqs.

a very big thanx to all the team behind standoff. i dled and started playing ep1 (although a wc vet, i dled standoff about a week ago). wc1+wc2/post-wc2 era is the one i like most from the wc "story" (wc2 was my favourite). to my surprise you did a formidable job in reviving a post-wc2 era atmosphere.

with wc saga, gemini gold/priv remake (i played those), and all the other wc fan projects, the future for the community looks primising and ABOVE ALL creative!!!
i only wish x-wing/tie fighter/x-wing alliance had a treatment like wc has.

i admire your passion and appreciate that a high-quality product such as standoff is made BY FANS FOR FANS!

again, a big thanx guys!

P.S: all of us realize that you need a period to get some rest (after all, everyone has a daily job!!)... but, if you decide to write another game, how about a priv1 story (involving InSys, Confed, Pirates, Retros, very minor Kilrathi presence, megacorps - espionage, intrigue, action, romance, vendetta), with a cyberpunk mood (instead of space opera), pink-floyd-ish music on a modern engine??
ok, enough of my mumbling... everyone here has an i-would-like-your-next-project-project-to-be-something-like-a-... idea...

Heh, "some rest" is indeed in order. I'll be pleasantly suprised if they start doing something else, but I bet life and gaming call.

And IF they start doing something, the spark for it has to come from themselves in order to finish it like Standoff, so it's no good giving them suggestions.

i admire your passion and appreciate that a high-quality product such as standoff is made BY FANS FOR FANS!
Quality ? Good to see people aren't too disapointed at us releasing a bug-ridden crashy game ! :p
P.S: all of us realize that you need a period to get some rest (after all, everyone has a daily job!!)... but, if you decide to write another game, how about a priv1 story (involving InSys, Confed, Pirates, Retros, very minor Kilrathi presence, megacorps - espionage, intrigue, action, romance, vendetta), with a cyberpunk mood (instead of space opera), pink-floyd-ish music on a modern engine??
Well, we need to finish Standoff and fix it before we can think of taking some rest :p

Quality ? Good to see people aren't too disapointed at us releasing a bug-ridden crashy game ! :p

I haven't have many problems. I haven't needed to exit after a few missions, mine is crash free for the most part. And after you look past those crashes it really is a high quality, detailed piece of work. :)

Standoff team deserves happy cush retirement in my opinion, once they add the finishing touches to ep 5. They've spent 5 years on Standoff and before that it was Unknown Enemy. That's a lot of work for the WC community for which they'll always be remembered as long as there exists a community of WC fans. From now on whenever I play through the WC series you can expect me to play through Standoff in between Secret Ops 2 and Wing Commander III.

That said, if any of the team preserves the 'creative drive' after finishing this project and continues modding I will OF COURSE anticipate any future project greatly!

Guys:

Just started episode 5. Great work all around as usual, the story's quite compelling, and the mission script programming makes for interesting gameplay. And of course I have to laugh out loud at some of the great writing on the comm comments :). While my old computer's not quite speedy enough to see the new lighting in real time, it looks wonderful in slow motion. Thanks for all the effort.

for me, standoff ep1-4 didn't crash. next week i'll be playing the game with ep5 (and see if it crashes). please note that my "gaming" pc is a "clean" pc i bought with win xp pre-installed and nvidia gfx card (i'm "loyal" to nvidia because of their quality drivers, especially on linux). there's no crapware there. just games, and in order to tweak programs to run on win32, i have msys/mingw/gnu binutils, java (+eclipse) and ocaml installed (the "work" pc runs linux and i transfer the sources to the win pc for native compilation).

anyway, the game is not bug-ridden. and in the release announcement you said about the crashes, so people are aware of it and anyone can wait for your fixes. i totally agree with your stance on releasing the game.

and don't tell me that modern commercial AAA titles are bug-free! ...and these are titles that contribute to some managers' bank accounts (+ these are games made by corporate buffoons, with underpaid developers), whilst yours is a noble CONTRIBUTION TO THE WC COMMUNITY!

I wonder if the Standoff team could somehow consult or assist the other ambitious projects achieve release status, after they've felt like they've rested enough but don't want to start another massive project. I know I said no suggestions, but this one is a bit different....WC modding community unite!

UE and Standoff are two epic games that don't even feel like Secret Ops mods, they put detail in every.single.bit.of.gaming. This guys have worked MORE then any fan should. I think it's time to throw in the towel, after these minor Standoff bugs are finished.

No, it wasn't five years :p. Standoff started in 2001, even before UE finished.

My mistake! I was going by the '04 - '09 release dates but of course it makes sense that you all didn't START Standoff in '04. Silly me.

EIGHT years of development then! Just makes my point even more. cush retirement is in order!

Not until we truly finish off Standoff...we are still working on a patch for the issues many of you have brought up. We then have to work on finishing the sim missions. So we still have a few more weeks of dev time left :p

Wow. "Retirement is in order", "time to throw in the towel"... we must've really upset you guys with this buggy release, if you all want us to give up so much ;).

So much for the combined package being released 'later this week'.

Back