Wing Commander: Refusal to accept keyboard input

centaurianmudpig

Rear Admiral
Hi guys,

Have any of you come across a glitch where Wing Commander will refuse to accept any keyboard input during flight, yet still accepts joystick input? Over the course of playing on the DOS BOX release from GOG.com I have had this happen to me on just a few occasions, but most annoying when it does happen.

If you have encountered this, have you come across a quick fix so you can complete the mission without having to revert to a saved game?

Do you have joystick/gamepad mapping software tying an axis (like roll or throttle) to their digital key, such as period, comma, plus, or minus?

This sounds familiar as I've ran into a similar issue with my Logitech stick. If I had my throttle too far on the positive or negative side it would treat it as a key press (stuck down) and no keyboard controls would work until I "zeroed" the axis. Read as: Put back in the middle.

You can try increasing the dead zone for the axis in question if this is indeed what's causing the loss of keyboard control.

I don't have any 3rd party software like not, not even tried re-mapping with DOS BOX. If it happens again I will try adjusting the throttle and rudder on my stick, in case DOS BOX has it mapped.

I found out that enabling Caps Lock seems to cause this particular issue.
Interesting observation. I hadn't even considered that the programs might be case-sensitive. I wasn't able to reproduce it on my end but I'm glad you figured it out. One more troubleshoot to add to the mind list.

It might also have something to do with the bespoke software that it also activates on pressing the CapsLock key. Part of the gubbins that gets put on as part of a LapTop build.

Back