Wing Commander Compatibility...across the gaps

Hi all, just joined and I have been visiting and really appreciate all the info and docs here on this site for WC...I am slowly working up to the modern era with
space sims, and really like what I see of WC but have had a problem with the time gap with different systems, I have collected a lot of the WC series so far, but cant play most of them currently even with my Win 98SE yet, I will have to try to tinker with the DOS access, I just tried the Kilranthi Saga, but it would not
work happily nor will Privateer 2 Deluxe, I posted about that in the tech section...
I do hope to be able to visit the WC universe sometime soon, do most of you use older platforms or use the emulators, such as DOS and the other one which I just saw which begins with J or something?

I love the story lines and graphics, that I have seen so far, and remain hopeful, and may try the Privateer Gemini Gold remake which may be too new for my
current platform, ah well....I will keep trying and thanks to all for all the posting and work here....keeping a great series alive.:)

Win98se Should run the KS ver. of WC1-2-3 just fine, without any modifacition, I never had any problems with it. P2 Deluxe.... I have no idea, I've had it for years, but truth be told i havent played it hardly at all. :eek: So I couldnt tell ya.

Christopherger said:
have had a problem with the time gap with different systems, I have collected a lot of the WC series so far, but cant play most of them currently even with my Win 98SE yet, I will have to try to tinker with the DOS access, I just tried the Kilranthi Saga, but it would not
work happily nor will Privateer 2 Deluxe, I posted about that in the tech section...
I do hope to be able to visit the WC universe sometime soon, do most of you use older platforms or use the emulators, such as DOS and the other one which I just saw which begins with J or something?

A computer running 98SE should have a decent time running KS and P2 Deluxe, but it's generally a weak spot in Wing Commander compatibility. You either need a slower computer with a variety of DOS drivers or a faster computer with DOSBox to play the majority of WC games. The good news is that buying an average modern computer these days will put you in a better WC playing position than you're currently in. You can definitely try to customize systems for various WC games, but when you get something newer, DOSBox will allow you to play most all earlier games in Windows without a problem.

Thanks Chris, I thought that might be the case and thanks for your other reply to my questions, sorry if i posted too much in too many forums, but was eager to try to figure this out. I have found the 98 SE just barely able to work the older games that I have researched and just sort of a gap situation, so I am looking forward to the newer set up which will be going soon. thanks again for all you all do to help us.:)

AND I am looking forward to trying the MODs and other resources and new campaigns for WC SOps etc.......I am amazed at the energy and fortitude and creativity of the community here. Thanks again.:)

Back