What was your first WC experiance?

Bluehair

Spaceman
Mine was back in ~1992-93~. I had an Amiga 500 with a lovely 1Meg Ram installed. I was in a game shop, ready to purchase my FIRST GAME for it! There it was sat high above in a shelf. WING COMMANDER. I picked it up, and drooling over the cover, it was love at first sight! I played it all the time for 3 years, till I sold my Amiga, and I miss the Amiga Version so much - even though I got the PC Version.

The sounds where never near as good as Amiga's.
frown.gif

So tell me, what was your first encounter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wing Commander 1 on my Tandy 1000SX. I loved it so much, but I didn't know how good it would get until I got WC2, After that, I was hooked.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Well, sir. This has been done before, but I'm just glad to find a new post that hasn't been closed
wink2.gif

1997. Wanted to rent Mortal Kombat 3 at the video store, found a game with cinematic cutscenes starring Luke Skywalker called Wing Commander 4. Rented it. Rented WC3 the following year. Got hooked. End of Story.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

WC1 back in 1990. STill have the 5 1/4 floppies. Not sure where the box is, though. Hooked early on. Eagerly awaited Secret Missions wehn I heard about them. Even more eagerly awaited WC2. Was shocked by the opening cut scene.

I got hooked in about 96 or 97, I didn't even rent it. I past it by from time to time thinkin "Ah hell I'll rent it next time" one day my friend rented it I went over to his house saw him in a dogfight and then saw the cinematics a bit later I rented it the next day and badda bing badda boom. Biggest WC4 freak on the planet

------------------
Here's to you guy's for doing your job, and for not getting dead (Mac from Speed)

'98. Went to Wally-world to get Decent Freespace, saw WCP for 20 bucks, rather than the 50 DFS cost. Looked at both, compared, fell in love with the Vampire and the fact that Mark Hamil and Tom Wilson was in it (though I was dissappointed Hamil didn't play a bigger part, but I got over that with WCIV), so I bought it rather than DFS. Played it, was hooked. Bought WCPG, WCIV, WCII and WCIII (Which I can't play, dumb DOS!
smile.gif
), Loved WCIV and SO. Play'em regulary.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Went to a Computer Store and saw the WC3 box. Picked it up and looked at it for a long time then bought it. Followed the series from then on.

That was around 96, I think...
smile.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings
"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

Member of the LMG(Centaurian)

Mine was a WC2 Deluxe edition that was bundled with the SB16. I bought Armada then WC3. Like Hobbes in WC2 and got quite a shock in the WC3 storyline.
As for the other wingman...

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by JoeyRP (edited August 15, 2000).]

That must really stink... I still have my 5 and 1/4 attached to my computer (I have more than enough ports).

I should get rid of it...

Oh well...

1995. Went to the computer store to buy Dark Forces. Saw WC3 instead. I figured the guy on the cover looked familiar so I bought it. After a few technical glitches getting it to run (had to use a boot disk) I spent ages insulting a Kilrathi & listening to "You pathetic descendent of apes!" Couldn't stop laughing I was hooked.

<Sighs> Yeah, that's one of the better insults, Penguin
smile.gif
. Almost as funny as "Monkey boy, you make me laugh!" in Privateer.

I won't bother answering the question, because my answer is a bit of a long story, and I've already put it down in a different thread (earlier this year). However, I would like to say that I recently found a whole new use for WC3 - the French subtitles. Quite useful when you're learning French
biggrin.gif

Moved to Kamloops, went to my cousins and he was playing WC3. This was 96. Got PC Gamers CD with SO and went nuts, now own WC1(KS) WC(Deluxe) Academy, something else I lost, and All of WCSO.

Summer. money. store. wc4. saw Hamill. bought. played. loved. got rest. looking for academy. end. Eat now?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

It was in the summer of 1991, I think... I get the years wrong. Anyway. Dad was bringing home a computer from work. He brought the main unit, and was going to get a CD ROM. It came with all the free games and stuff, though. One of them was a copy of Ultima 6 and WC on the same disk. I was ecstatic to get that drive working....

I bought my academy for a $1 in Walmart.
Lok in bargain bins
smile.gif

(Though, it sucks)

biggrin.gif

My first Wing Commander experience would have to be in 1994 (was it '94?) when Privateer was first released. Took me a while to get it running (and with a limited amount of Conventional Memory, even after running directly from the HD, I still couldn't have sound
tongue.gif
), but I was completely and bonified hooked on the game, so I started searching around for the other Wing Commander games (with only partial success). Still unable to find WC4 or Prophecy.
smile.gif

Wing Commander II, my first CD title. It was bundled together with one of those Sound Blaster/CD-ROM thingies. Went crazy trying to get EMM386 working and freeing 600Kb of conventional memory, but once I did, there was no turning back. Can't believe it took me a few months to realise the special ops was on the CD as well...

Whoa... that's a first, Metras. I didn't think it was possible to have difficulty finding Prophecy...

Back