What do you HATE (or at least dislike) in each Wing Commander game?

I see. Maybe I just never got so damaged before as to lose target tracking, at least not while being in a torpedo-capable fighter. It's a bummer, sure, but I originally played WC2 on an Am386/40, I don't recall reloading taking as long as WC3 on contemporary hardware.

Does everyone agree it's a scummy move to make Blair suck the face off of one of his love interests in front of the other?
Yes. I knew there was going to be trouble the first time I had Blair walk to the bar and saw both of them there at the same time...

I agree with the lack of cockpits in WC4 and the Bugs being a big letdown in WCP.

Generally I think the first 3 games had a concept - WW2 (specifically the war in the Pacific) in space. Even the uniform designs, especially in 1 and 2, seemed retro. This made them unique. The games that followed just didn't have an angle to make them unique. The Midway didn't even have a carrier deck anymore. ☹️

WC4

1. Re-using the WC3 Victory model for the Lexington and the "Concordia-class" carriers. Got to spend money on FMV instead right? ☹️
  2. The Border Worlds fighters. They were a new benchmark for ugly. And there are a lot of ugly designs in the WC universe.
  3. Tolwyn as the villain. Never very convincing to me, by utterly predictable.

1) They ended 🤷🏼‍♂️ ...
2) And to be honest the continuing redesign of the Kilrathi. 😩 I might be one of the few, but I really liked their design in WC3 🤷🏼‍♂️ Maybe it’s because it was my entry into the Wing Commander universe, but I generally do favor the WC3/WC4 design over the others... it’s more edgy
3) the “big butt” of the dragon fighter ... a really cool ship, but that ass? - It’s like glowing the Falcon’s engines to an X-Wing ...

Last edited:
WC4

1. Re-using the WC3 Victory model for the Lexington and the "Concordia-class" carriers. Got to spend money on FMV instead right? ☹️
  2. The Border Worlds fighters. They were a new benchmark for ugly. And there are a lot of ugly designs in the WC universe.
  3. Tolwyn as the villain. Never very convincing to me, by utterly predictable.
Well IMHO you name the reasons why the border world fighters where actually cool: The Border Worlds were poor and also the place where Confed “dumped” their old tech and unwanted ideas - so whatever they came up with had to be “the best of the rest” ... and in that case I think the design fits just right

Concerning Tolwing as villain... yeah never got quite well with it. Especially if you go from Fleet action to Heart of the tiger, then false colors ... and suddenly Price of Freedom...
BUT - I think it’s because of Malcom MacDowell 🤷🏼‍♂️ His “stiff upper lip” portrayal of Tolwyn made him perfect to be the villain who is actually trying to do good 🤷🏼‍♂️ (Preparing Mankind... did he know about the Nephilim?)

WC4

I miss not being greeted by my Crew Chief upon arrival after completing a mission.

Although it was really annoying in WC3 when after taking out 12 fighters personally as well as maybe a capship or 2 I get scolded by Rachel because I took a few hits. 😏

Wing Commander 3 is actually my least favorite of the original 4 still a good game though. I hated what they did with Hobbes especially the use of The Manchurian Candidate trope

WC4
  1. The Border Worlds fighters. They were a new benchmark for ugly. And there are a lot of ugly designs in the WC universe
The thing is that the design of Banshee does not seem in line with the rest of the human-designed ships in the game. I also was disappointed with the borderworlds mostly relying on "outdated" confed tech, so I would expect them to be flying Hornets, Scimitars en Raptors. I read once it happened in the novelisation, but never read it.

What i dislike about WC...hmmm...*tripping down memory lane*

*WC1 came out....Played it 'till hell froze over....then...."Darn... hate it when there's no more"......a year later....
*WC2 came out....."WOOHOOO".....Played it 'till Sun went supernova and Sol Sector was consumed....then..."Darn .... hate it when there's no more".....a couple of years later.....
*WC3 came out....Played it 'till mankind Discovered Faster-than-Light Speed ...then..."Darn...Where's the rest?...Hate it when this happens"....a couple of years later...
*WC4 came out....YESSSSS....Played it 'till mankind made contact with the Kilrathi....then...."Oh no...!Not again...Is it over? I hate that..."...a few years later....
*WC Prophecy came out....."OMG I must be in heaven!!!!".....Played it 'till Kilrah was destroyed...then...."Is it over? Please tell me it's not over....I hate that..." ...a few years later...
*FanMods WC Unknown enemy and standoff came along..."YES YES YES, AWESOME!" Played them 'till the Nephilim Created the wormhole and made contact....then...."...Sigh....what NOW????"
*Signs in WCIC and still waiting.......

..Well that about sums it up :)

The thing is that the design of Banshee does not seem in line with the rest of the human-designed ships in the game. I also was disappointed with the borderworlds mostly relying on "outdated" confed tech, so I would expect them to be flying Hornets, Scimitars en Raptors. I read once it happened in the novelisation, but never read it.
Well the Vindicator had Tachyon Cannons - state of the art tech at the time.

I really disliked all the stuff that seemed like something out of a video game; the scatter gun and the charging fission weapons. Did the programmers ask 12 year olds for input?

What i dislike about WC...hmmm...*tripping down memory lane*

*WC1 came out....Played it 'till hell froze over....then...."Darn... hate it when there's no more"......a year later....
*WC2 came out....."WOOHOOO".....Played it 'till Sun went supernova and Sol Sector was consumed....then..."Darn .... hate it when there's no more".....a couple of years later.....
*WC3 came out....Played it 'till mankind Discovered Faster-than-Light Speed ...then..."Darn...Where's the rest?...Hate it when this happens"....a couple of years later...
*WC4 came out....YESSSSS....Played it 'till mankind made contact with the Kilrathi....then...."Oh no...!Not again...Is it over? I hate that..."...a few years later....
*WC Prophecy came out....."OMG I must be in heaven!!!!".....Played it 'till Kilrah was destroyed...then...."Is it over? Please tell me it's not over....I hate that..." ...a few years later...
*FanMods WC Unknown enemy and standoff came along..."YES YES YES, AWESOME!" Played them 'till the Nephilim Created the wormhole and made contact....then...."...Sigh....what NOW????"
*Signs in WCIC and still waiting.......

..Well that about sums it up :)
You forgot WC Saga? 🤔

Does everyone agree it's a scummy move to make Blair suck the face off of one of his love interests in front of the other?

I actually think just finding a new love interest so soon after learning about Angel was pretty scummy in itself.

Remember those Scumbag Steve memes?

Attachments

• sta.png
    sta.png
    418 KB · Views: 117
WC:Saga - Joking about drugging and sexually assaulting the comm officer aged like milk. Also, but less bad: over the top Hail Mary. and the kinney mission one interesting ONCE. I'm glad (Niffiwan?) fixed it with save points.

Yes, but what I'm saying is: the game makes you get a girlfriend in one of the worst ways possible.
I will cut the game a little slack on this. If the game had 5 more missions total after Angel's death scene, but they still had the scene this early on I would be harsher with it. They were squeezing a lot of content in a short span of time.

Hammill seems to have really enjoyed himself in the scene! ;)

Rather sad confession but I only ever played WC3 as a kid, and my attempts to get WC4 running never got anywhere. I never did get to play the original two, sooner or later I'd like to download and play all of them.

For WC3, I think the showdown with Thrakhath sucks. Never had too much trouble taking him down, I expected more from the Bloodfang. And I don't know if I like the game's explanation for why Hobbes betrayed Blair or if I hate it; without it, Thrakhath's message doesn't mean anything and with it, it kind of cheapens Hobbes' whole story from WC2.

The Longbow was extremely frustrating to fly, I never was able to kill much in that thing even with all of its guns.

Was sad to find out a lot of ships didn't make the final cut in the game, like the frigate seen in WC4 was supposed to be in WC3 first, and when it does it appears as a destroyer. In fact I would've liked to see more Terran ships as well overall.

And if you do manage to get Flash on your squad, they don't give him much anything after he's there. Seriously could've used more focus.

You forgot WC Saga? 🤔
DOH! Remembered it right after i posted.! But yes you are right! Freespace engine was SO awesome! :) And on that note *looking around to find where WCSAGA is stored*.... ;-) I think i might start a WC Marathon= play through, over again.

Rather sad confession but I only ever played WC3 as a kid, and my attempts to get WC4 running never got anywhere. I never did get to play the original two, sooner or later I'd like to download and play all of them.

For WC3, I think the showdown with Thrakhath sucks. Never had too much trouble taking him down, I expected more from the Bloodfang. And I don't know if I like the game's explanation for why Hobbes betrayed Blair or if I hate it; without it, Thrakhath's message doesn't mean anything and with it, it kind of cheapens Hobbes' whole story from WC2.

The Longbow was extremely frustrating to fly, I never was able to kill much in that thing even with all of its guns.

Was sad to find out a lot of ships didn't make the final cut in the game, like the frigate seen in WC4 was supposed to be in WC3 first, and when it does it appears as a destroyer. In fact I would've liked to see more Terran ships as well overall.

And if you do manage to get Flash on your squad, they don't give him much anything after he's there. Seriously could've used more focus.
agree with all this, so many characters do next to nothing in wc3, maniac is one note, flash is there but after you defeat him in the simulator his story pretty much ends. Like I said I hate what they did with hobbes, I feel like player choice should have been giving some agency rather cobra lives or dies but doesnt. for the most part, the rest of the crew is pretty blah besides vagabond, he was awesome in wc3. I just think all the returning characters in wc4 were fleshed out far better than what they got in wc3.

Last edited:
Back