WC4 Remake

How about the guns on the Bearcat? Pleeeeeeeease? ;)

We are reading the exact stats from the game, any changes are likely to be controversial.
Now I might be open to launching with a "remaster stats" option which is OFF by default which maybe globally tweaks stats to do things like shift the combat back onto guns if necessary. I'm not convinced how necessary it'll be though because gun play is already easier due to the less twitchy mechanics.

As I said we'll open up custom mods, tweaking stats is a given, but one of the things I'm most excited about is the abstraction of the gameplay from the file formats. Hopefully we could push WC4 out and have other teams add support for all the other titles.

We are reading the exact stats from the game, any changes are likely to be controversial.
Now I might be open to launching with a "remaster stats" option which is OFF by default which maybe globally tweaks stats to do things like shift the combat back onto guns if necessary. I'm not convinced how necessary it'll be though because gun play is already easier due to the less twitchy mechanics.

As I said we'll open up custom mods, tweaking stats is a given, but one of the things I'm most excited about is the abstraction of the gameplay from the file formats. Hopefully we could push WC4 out and have other teams add support for all the other titles.
I was half jesting! :)The Bearcat is awesome but the placement of the guns on the wingtips is terrible - you can't hit anything!

I was half jesting! :)The Bearcat is awesome but the placement of the guns on the wingtips is terrible - you can't hit anything!

Ahh that, you could change the convergence distance; or even have intelligent convergence based on the target closest to your reticule.

Glad you have better game mechanics! I love WC, but deflection shooting was always much more difficult then in, say, the X-Wing series due to the controls being a little wonky.

Thanks as always to Chris for the update. I'm glad the progress sounds steady, it sure hasn't felt it. To make this update I just looked at the commit history to remind myself what I'd done, it was bursts of a few days of work at a time followed by months of nothing.
The most I got done was in the week leading up to our launch - everything looked good, we were hands off on the game, back on sensible hours, mostly testing, we didn't want to break it, the external QA team assured us all was stable...
1/3 players experienced a game breaking bug, many of them multiple times - so it was back into panic mode and never left it until now.

To clarify it's not public on github, we still haven't reverse engineered all of the formats so extracted files exist (something which got a SimCity project shut down), we are still using the iff file loader from here (https://download.wcnews.com/files/documents/sourcecode/shadowforce/) - we'd definitely have to write our own before going public but it helps to be sure that there are no bugs for the moment.
Making it open source isn't something we'll prioritize until either just before or just after release I imagine.

Last edited:
To clarify it's not public on github, we still haven't reverse engineered all of the formats so extracted files exist (something which got a SimCity project shut down), we are still using the iff file loader from here (https://download.wcnews.com/files/documents/sourcecode/shadowforce/) - we'd definitely have to write our own before going public but it helps to be sure that there are no bugs for the moment.
Making it open source isn't something we'll prioritize until either just before or just after release I imagine.
How much of the 2D images still need going over?

How much of the 2D images still need going over?

2D images are in a good position, thanks to UnnamedCharacter of the wctoolbox we can display the originals directly from the game data, and ODVS has upscaled them - but the upscaled versions exist in the same repo atm, just to be absolutely safe we will probably keep those separate in the future.
The few images we had that we couldn't read, such as the mouse icons, we just recreated.

Audio is going well too actually, our main issue is the comms videos, we haven't been able to load any version of those. Ideally we want to extract both the higher resolution PC ones and the PSX color ones to try and combine them before upscaling

Last edited:
Back